Tiny house on a trailer

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Lostranger

Re: Tiny house on a trailer

Post by Lostranger »

What's up with the tiny house, Dennis?
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey there Stranger
I've been busy with work on this end but im taking at least 2 weeks off to work on it, starting yesterday. Im gonna do some wiring and teco's today. The weather here is stormin for pretty much the whole week so im doin interior stuff and when the weather breaks im gonna get some siding on and some windows in. Im fighting with myself about taking the winter off to just complete the "Dew Drop Inn" I can afford it right now its just can I afford it when spring comes :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

Hello Dennis ... day at a time ... step at a time ... we've had an incredibly nice Indian summer ... record high temps yesterday and today ... but changing by Sunday eve ... then, snow possible anytime on ... Thanks for reminding us that Spring is just around the corner :)
Hope all is well with you and yours ... eager to see your progress.
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hey there Doug, This coming week I'm gonna do a lot of work on the Dew Drop Inn 8) I bent up some more drip cap for a freeze board I came up with to separate the beveled side and the shingled dormer today. I need to get my behind in gear cuz I don't have much more good weather left before winter sets in.
Peace along the way
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

Hey Dennis ... just got onto chat ... just missed you ... will check chat tomorrow ... Sunday, early afternoon Colorado time ...
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Roger that Doug 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I got a few Windows in today and I'll get more in tomorrow. I gotta get back to the to my buddies place to make up a few more pieces of copper flashing to go around the fenders. I was gonna just chalk behind the siding but to start short cutting now would just be stupid and its the last of the copper except for maybe a lead coated copper pan under the entry door, the Windows are getting peal and stick rubber pans. I left the paper on the bottom of the peal and stick robber window pans so when I make up the flashing for the fenders I can install the skirt board and its drip cap then I can sneak the tar paper under the rubber pan and peal it and sticker to the tar paper 8)
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Looking really good. I agree that now is not the time to take short cuts what with the quality you have maintained. Did I miss the installation of the sky light? Probably. Anyway, it sure will brighten the place up!

I had to laugh at myself. I kept reading and rereading and finally I figured out that you were talking about "peal and stick" not "peak and stick". Ha Ha. Sometimes I wonder about myself :lol: Keep up the fine work! Jack
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I got 6 more windows in today but I didn't take a pic of them installed but I will say the more holes I poke in the thing the bigger it gets inside :D I'm gonna put the last 5 awning windows in the loft tomorrow :thumbup:
The cedar works good with the green windows and the roof may even turn green at some point down the road.
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

"Did I miss the installation of the sky light?" There is 2 skylights, 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the sleeping loft. With 5 Windows and a skylight it will be a great place to wake up in the morning 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I got the last of the windows in the loft today. The exterior casings are only temporarily screwed on so I can remove them when I get to the tar paper. The fender flashing is holding me up a little but I'm going to make it up on Saturday morning at My buddy's place and then I can get some siding on.
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Peace along the way
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

As expected, Dennis, you're doing great stuff. Thanks for keeping us posted. If you can find time and inclination, I'd like to know more about the whys of moving out of a bus and into a tiny house. I mean, "Dennis the Tin House Dweller" is just not gonna have the right ring.

Jim
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Ya know Jim, I'm just not good with a wrench and if something needs to be repaired it always a costly ordeal. But the buses have been a great ride for me and I love living in them but it's time to try something new. I'm thinkin I'm gonna build a couple of these and then before I reach "The End Of The Road" I want to build an oldschool housetruck. If it wasn't for stumbling across Rogers site www.housetrucks.com and book Some Turtles Have Nice Shells then Sharkeys original site www.mrsharkey.com I would have not thought of buying my first schoolie and building my first rig "The Stray Hound" to begin with :D Whenever I get a chance to talk with Roger I make to remind him that he is the one who corrupted or inadvertently changed my life for the better in the first place :D
Peace along the way
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

This looks like a really nice build.

My only concern has to do with weight.

With the upper story behind the axles won't it unload the tongue creating "tail wagging the dog" symptoms while going down the road?

Also, you aren't using really light materials. Will the current axles and tires have sufficient load carrying capabilities when the project is completed?