1949 Ford Schoolbus ~ yes, Bozodom...

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

AberdeenWoods

1949 Ford Schoolbus ~ yes, Bozodom...

Post by AberdeenWoods »

I am on the verge of beginning the restoration of the Bozodom bus... and am in need of tons of information and resources - this site seems like a great place to start.

The Bozodom bus - 1949 Ford, with the middle section raised to allow for walking around inside, has a '49 Mercury V8 engine in it. After being involved in the rebuild of it oh-so-many years ago, it's now time to contemplate what other engines can be put in it without a ton of modifications....

It's been in storage for the last many many years - and it's calling out that it's time to be back out and on the road.

It has been built in (I lived in it for a few years) - has a couch that folds to a bed, kitchen counter with sink, stove and oven, and propane/electric refrigerator... running water toilet in the back, cupboards and shelves and all to make life comfy. Replaced the driver's seat with a double seat from one of the old motorhomes that FMC corporation used to build (my Dad was an industrial engineer, he helped build it in).... but now it's probably in need of a lot of those things replaced.

I am in northern California, the bus is currently in Lake County but will be moving south of Sacramento.

Anyone know a great mechanic that would be interested in playing along?

ol trunt

Re: 1949 Ford Schoolbus ~ yes, Bozodom...

Post by ol trunt »

Oh boy! Another old school bus! I'm sure there will be many late model engine and transmission combinations that will easily fit into your bus. To make a decision as to which one to use it would be helpful to know what the rear axle ratio is so you can factor that into your choice.

I'd like to see what the rest of your bus looks like as it now is--you know, side view, some interior pics, we love photos!

I'm in So-Cal so I won't be much help as far as wrench pullin' goes but it looks like fun and welcome.
AberdeenWoods

Post by AberdeenWoods »

Here are a couple more pictures as it sits in the storage facility.... somewhere here I have interior pictures from days gone by, printed Black & White in my Dad's darkroom - have to locate and scan. :-)

I'll have more details and pictures when I get it out of storage!

...and here's some from back in the day when it was first being built in and repainted:

....and at Big Sur.....

ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Thanks for the pics--is that you waving out the back window? About what year was the first restoration completed and do you have any idea what year Merc engine was used etc.etc.etc. My old bus has 4 windows on the pass side and is 22"long so I'm guessing yours with 6 windows is around 26' long--I could sure use the few extra feet! Jack
AberdeenWoods

Post by AberdeenWoods »

This one is 23 feet bumper to bumper... from what I remember... and the engine in it is the original - it was still running when we bought it in 1973 - but died on the road shortly thereafter. Rebuilt it (a process that took eons) - so it now has 30-over rings, and we drove it around for a few years - died on the road again in southern California somewhere around 1977 or so.... got it back up and running, but never took it on long trips after that. The last time it ran was summer of 1978. It got used as a mobile field office parked on some land for a while after that, and then made its way into the storage facility...

And if memory serves me well, I was the one in the second window from the front. :) ...trying to place all the other faces, but I might need to come across the negatives and either re-print or scan to see more clearly... (yes, having learned a lot from my Dad, I also have a darkroom - having grown up with one at the house).
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Nice bus! Should be a great project! If ya gotta put an engine in it, I really like the 5.9 L Cummins like the Dodge pickups have. I have well over 300k on mine and it has been great and still going strong.