New here- 1986 P30

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

TangledUpInHere

New here- 1986 P30

Post by TangledUpInHere »

Hi,
I'm new around here. Just bought a 1986 Chevy P30 Step Van, 16' with a lift, which I'm converting for full time with my 10 yr old son. We've done this before with a 40' 1983 MCI 9 but this time, it has to be handicap accessible so that should be interesting.
We're not quite finished gutting it, found a bit of rust around the engine box, and have to find a replacement for the sunroof (no luck so far), to start the repairs it needs. Of course, there are lot's of little things to be done but I'm starting there for now. I'm going to try to keep a blog of progress but you know how that can be. :)
I haven't quite figured out how to post pics here but I'll get on it.
1986 Chevy P30 Step Van
ol trunt

Re: New here- 1986 P30

Post by ol trunt »

Hi, and welcome to the site! I know there are several ways to post pics here but I've stayed with the tried and true (and free) Photo bucket. Just set up an account and use the img feature to post your pics here. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a more detailed note about how to do this--anyway, welcome again. Jack
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Yep . pics is good :)

I use http://tinypic.com/

Regards
58 Bedford House
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

When you say you are having a problem replacing the sun roof--I am puzzled as to what you consider the sun roof.

Many delivery vans had transluscent ceiling panels down the center of the truck to give teh driver natural light to see what was inside of the truck.

Most were made out of lexan/plexiglass with a haze or smoke built into it so direct sun would not pound into the truck's interior.

If that is the kind of sun roof you have you can either skin it over with metal or go to any glass shop and have them cut you an appropriate sized piece with as little or as much haze as you want.

Good luck and happy trails.
TangledUpInHere

Hi Mark,
Nope, I mean an actual sunroof. It also opens like a roof hatch on a bus, but it's clear glass. I saw them on several of the tool trucks I looked at. Nearly every MAC truck had them. The sun roof is near the rear of the cargo area. Odd placement and really crappy mess right now. I may just have my welder see if he can cover it, I really don't want a sunroof.
1986 Chevy P30 Step Van
TangledUpInHere

And thanks for the picture info, I'll get on it!
1986 Chevy P30 Step Van