Rock guard for towed

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

somewhereinusa

Rock guard for towed

Post by somewhereinusa »

Question for you who tow a vehicle. My "new" towed is over 30 years old. Needless to say the windshield would be a might hard to come by. Do you use some sort of rock guard? My old jeep was a piece of crap that already had a cracked windshield, so I didn't care. I did get a stone chip while towing, but can't honestly say it came from me. I've read varying reports of good and bad on the various guards and contraptions that people use. I honestly can't see how a rock could get to the windshield from my own tires. I have 9 feet of overhang and there are mud flaps behind the wheels anyway. The mudflaps aren't quite as wide as the tires on the outside, but that is much wider than a little 'ole VW truck.To get to the windshield a rock would have to travel somewhat low for 9 feet then abruptly rise to even get to the windshield. What are your thoughts?
ol trunt

Re: Rock guard for towed

Post by ol trunt »

Good question. I have the same concerns about glass replacement for my 55 yr old toad. I've been thinking about using a sheet of expanded metal lath sandwiched between layers of closed cell foam and covered with faux suede on the glass side and plain vinyl on the side facing the bus. I'd put four straps on it that would close in the doors to hold the thing on. I drove a brand new Suburban on the Alcan Hwy in 1969 and used a grill and windshield screen made out of expanded lath supported by 1/2" conduit. I ran the truck over 15,000 miles up there and didn't even get a chip in the glass (or paint). A nice thing about the lath is that it can be rolled up for storage when not in use and has the strength to retain it's shape while in use. I suppose if one let a lot of dirt collect between the glass and the windshield bra, the glass could be scratched--still better than broken. What are your ideas? Jack
Jerry Campbell

Re: Rock guard for towed

Post by Jerry Campbell »

I've been towing a car or little truck for about 15 years over some pretty tough gravel roads and have never had a problem. The problem is having to clean the windshield before I can drive it. Sometimes I get paranoid and put too much oil in the 671 and it spits it out all over the windshield of the towd. It's hard to find a place that's perfectly level to check the oil.
I worried about it for a few years, then just forgot about it.