Way-Cool Rolling Home (Trailer) Website

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Forgottenhighway

Way-Cool Rolling Home (Trailer) Website

Post by Forgottenhighway »

Check it out............

http://www.wayzalot.com/index.html

Cheers, Pat
Dudley

Post by Dudley »

What a nice rig and a nice site also. I like the idea of a trailer and the reasoning behind it. Thanks for the link.
Dudley
GOD BLESS AMERICA
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

A great looking unit. They really put the time into creating somthing unique. I would love to see it in person.

-Richard
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

Hi,'

Yeah, it's a cool site and trailer. I'm thinking I'm going that route or build a truck slide-in camper. I want a vehicle to drive around without having to move the "house" when I park for the night or longer. I don't want to tow a vehicle either. I haven't seen many of those homebuilt. I guess I'll wing it like I do everything else. I also don't want many fancy things in mine to break down. I'd like solar though. Just not a lot of electronic or mechanical gadgets to have to service, access, replace, fix. KISS is my message to myself. What I'd REALLY like to do is get an Isuzu NPR chassis and cab and build a big easily removable camper on the back. Anyone have thoughts on that? Think it's feasable?

Phil
Illegitimi non carborundum!
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

Yes I think it's possible. Great idea. However you and your welder will have to become close friends. The amount of frame it would take to support a removable "dwelling" on the back of a commercial truck rail would be substantial. I think the Kiss theroy is a good moto to follow. Good luck!

-Richard
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

captainkf wrote:you and your welder will have to become close friends
And we are. I keep it supplied with fresh 240 volt AC, the wire spool well fed and the gas bottle filled...

captainkf

Post by captainkf »

:)

-Richard
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

Richard and all,

Maybe I should think instead about a flatbed on the back of the truck and then start building the house from there. Or, also thinking of a car hauler. They tip down in the back and have a winch at the front of the bed. Wonder if I could put rollers or wheels on the camper and let it down onto the ground and retrieve it with the winch? Would have to build light. I'm thinking SIPS.

What's you 'uns erpinion on that route?

Thanks,
Phil
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Really big garbage dumpsters are already built that way, with rollers on the bottom and an interlocking track and pull chain in the truck frame.

I doubt that you'd be able to find many RV parks that would let you in unless they thought you were there to swap in an empty dumpster. :D
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

Well, maybe that's the solution. I HAVE spent a lot of time in dumpsters.
Phil
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

You could go for a giant truck style camper that is raised with jacks or in this case hydraulic rams on each corner. Then just drive away and lower it down. The "camper" would need a strong battery bank to run the hydraulics, but it could be able to handle a strong unit. The next task is to find a comercial vehicle that already has or could accomidate a flat bed modification. It's somthing to consider...

Good luck with this unique idea. :) -Richard