callin out dragonhorseboy

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

65Mercury

callin out dragonhorseboy

Post by 65Mercury »

dragonhorse you still around we are both from the Ottawa area just trying to make contact. :shock:
Petes home for unloved autos
dragonhorseboy

Post by dragonhorseboy »

so like where in ottawa are you from? I hope its the suburban area else where do you park a large vehicle anyhow? *grins*

:)
65Mercury

Post by 65Mercury »

hi I said Ottawa but im really in the country inbetween Chesterville and Finch south east of Ottawa. I ran away from that city years ago to many people who belive they have more right to my land than me. The worst thing about it is they do the city wants everone to be sheep and most are. Did you find a vehicle yet or are you still interested I saw you where lookin at a van I may have something you might be interested in.
dragonhorseboy

Post by dragonhorseboy »

hey again, haven't ever remembered to check this forum again till now heh...

I'm basically just looking for something of at least a passenger van or a bit bigger anyhow (no 3-axle rvs pls...I'll rather have 2 axles especially for traction and maintenance reason)

say....do anyone know if there were ever any 4x4 vans? (not awd please :roll: )

makes me thinking.. a converted home van with 4x4 drivetrain to boot....that'll have SOME of a frame strength problem when the front and rear piece of chassis flex from others offroad :lol:
Phil Feinstein

4x4 vans

Post by Phil Feinstein »

Actually, both GM and Ford made a 4WD version of their 1 ton vans. The GM version was called the "Tradesman". Ford's van was just an E350. The Ford van was done in the late 70's early 80's before they used the "Twin I-beam" front suspension.

I've found that most if not all of the suspension components swap pretty easily between the F-series trucks and the E-series vans. I've never done it, but I'd be willing to bet money that if you have a 1 ton van, you can swap in the transfer case and front suspension to make it a 4WD. Just keep the parts from the same vintage if at all possible. Also, in the late 80's early 90's Ford changed from having a manual shifted 4WD system to having an electronic shifted transfer case. Parts for the electric mechanism cost major bucks.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Re: 4x4 vans

Post by Sharkey »

Phil Feinstein wrote:...the late 70's early 80's before they used the "Twin I-beam" front suspension
"Twin I-Beam" goes back to the late 1950's or early 60's as I recall. It was a big selling point for ride comfort.
Phil Feinstein

4x4 vans

Post by Phil Feinstein »

Interesting. I didn't realize it was that old!

I didn't start seeing it on the trucks until the late 70's early 80's and I remember the commercials with the guy riding on a seat outside of the cab and the "dummy" riding a seat attached to the front axle as they went over a series of bumps.

A lot of the early 70's vans I worked on had the solid front axle beam or just a front axle for 4WD. I still have nightmares about rusted kingpins :-) Of course, when I was working on them, they were already 20 some odd years old.
Phil Feinstein

4x4 vans

Post by Phil Feinstein »

Hey...I was kicking around as a sanity check and I found
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Fe ... leId=46026

According to this, the twin I-beam front suspension was offered in the F-series trucks as early as 1973. The F250 had a solid front axle with leaf springs up to 1972. I thought it was later than '73, but that isn't the case.
65Mercury

Post by 65Mercury »

now its my turn I've been away as well. I do have a 1975 chev union city step van with only 48000 mi its a 1/2 ton with an 8 foot box and heavy suspension. I have had it for 11 years and got it with 32000 only used it to go to auto flea market in Barrie for a bunch of years. ITs powered by a 292 chev six but needs a transmition which I can get for 200.00.
dragonhorseboy

Post by dragonhorseboy »

hmm both of these vans are somewhat large one...but hey wait....I could use the extra interior space to stuff a few more 'things' in for each trip if I ever find one to buy *looks up at sky*

heh I'll have to ponder the thoughts of either of these two vans...especially if one can be found for a nice low price too :P
65Mercury

Post by 65Mercury »

Im sure we can work out a deal for my step van.
dragonhorseboy

Post by dragonhorseboy »

I looked it up and is that 1976 chevrolet seriously a box van??

I don't know if I'm quite interested in having something like these...especially at 110km/h for hours *insert face with one eye larger than others here*

thanks for the offer tho
65Mercury

Post by 65Mercury »

I used it to run back and forth to Barrie at 70 mph it was a fun ride and to Sterling Ont. down the 401. But thats O.K. its not really for sale just an offer. Just curious where are you from in town?
dragonhorseboy

Post by dragonhorseboy »

heh I see :-)

either on templeton street (shared townhouse) in ottawa or usually up in chelsea home as always had been [for a tad too long...yet]