30 amp/50amp shore power?

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

J.B.

30 amp/50amp shore power?

Post by J.B. »

Hi all, I need some free advice. I am thinking of using a 30 amp shore power plug for My Crown "Farther" I don't have all of the power consumption of the New Coaches. My thought process says that I can get an adapter for 50 to 30 if I need too, or get an adapter for 120V shore power to the bus 30 amp plug into the inverter. I hear that most places now are going to 50 amp. I only want to do this once. You comments please.
J.B.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I'm probably going to run into something like this myself. I'm installing a service panel with 50 amp main breakers, and terminating the input under the bus on a large enclosed terminal board. When necessary, I can pull off the pigtail and switch it over to something that connects to whatever socket/panel/outlet that is available, but still have the option of using the "RV standard" cordset. When I'm home for extended periods, the bus can be hard wired into the utility power, drawing as much as 100 amps per leg if necessary.

Additionally, my load center is being custom built around a three-phase breaker box. Two phases for 240 volts utility power, and the third bus being switchable between onboard inverter and one leg of the AC. In this way, I can easily switch specific outlets and lights over to the inverter while running stand alone, and still power up with utility power when it's available. A simple mechanical interlock will keep the inverter and AC feeds isolated from one another while keeping all the live switchgear UL approved.

Now that it's all figured out, it's time to install it in the bus...

Are you sure that you can get an adapter that alows plugging a 30 amp system into a 50 amp service? The other way around should be no problem, but I think the NEC would require you to have 30 amp overcurrent protection between the 50 amp input and the 30 amp service equipment.
J.B.

30/50 amp

Post by J.B. »

Hi, I have a boat that has an adapter from 30 amp to 50 amp. I haven't checked out the system on the land side yet . I don't really know the configuration of the plug yet. If I could do it from 30 amp to 50 amp then all I would have to worry about is that the Blue Sea system breakers were the adequate size :?: (that was a question, not an answer)
J.B.