Bringing my new bus home

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Navservice

Bringing my new bus home

Post by Navservice »

Well, I've finally seen my new (old) bus, the '63 Crown Tour Coach. Amtrak dumped me off in Oakland 2.5 hours late so, when I walked over to the bus with a flashlight, it was 2 am.

First, the mundane: Rust. The rust in the back is not as bad as it appears to be in the photo. what appears to be rust along the top edge of the trunk door is really chipped paint where new flush head rivets were installed. There is minor rust in some (not many) other places. There is major cancer with holes in a small area at the front right corner of the bus. The vertical side of the windshield frame on the right side is full of holes. The front edge of the window frame of the passenger door is also rotted. A lot of damage in a small area, I wonder what did it. Paint. The areas of the Flagstaff Tour Coach that are gold (anodized?) are gray on my bus. It turns out to be gray paint which reveals gold where it is peeling. The bumpers (badly rusted front and rear) where chrome and now painted gray. There are gate hinges installed over the original piano hinge on the front engine access on the passenger side. The tire treads look good and I didn't see any checking in the sidewalls. I'm pretty sure the rears are retreads, I hope the fronts are not.

A few surprises: The bus has airbags! The louvers in the roof visible in the photo of the driver's side are duplicated on the passenger side. There is a similar box, like a duct, above the parcel rack but I haven't seen any sign of A/C duct outlets, neither above the passenger nor at window level. The only ducting I saw were the normal floor ducts along the walls that you would find in a school bus.

Looking through the driver's side window with a flashlight I saw the parking brake is a manual mechanical brake. I think I saw some kind of emergency airbrake control. I couldn't confirm the existence of either a Jake brake or a Williams brake but there is a mystery lever to the left of the steering column that I couldn't identify with the flashlight. There is another mystery lever to the right of the steering column that appears to have three positions with the center not labelled. Handwritten labels identify the up and down positions as forward and reverse (I'm not sure of the order). The door is manually opened, no surprise there.

Now for the real surprise, I couldn't find anything about this on Google so, if anyone knows about this, please fill me in. I thought the transmission might be a ten speed based partly on the selector on the gearshift but also because I could see part of a gear shift pattern on a red plate on the dash. What I didn't know was that I was seeing the entire shift pattern, there are only three positions for the gearshift! BUT there appear to be four different gears at each position! The shift pattern plate says the transmission is a "Synchro Master 12" and is made by Spicer. There are instructions I couldn't read about how to get into reverse. I'll take a clear photo of it when I get a chance. Does anybody know anything about this? Is my Crown a 12 speed? Was (is) the Spicer a dog of a transmission that was vastly improved upon by the Roadranger, as I suspect?

I'm up late now (5 am) and there's lots to find out tomorrow. I'm obviously having a real good time with this.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

You figured out all of that in the middle of the night with a flashlight? It's a wonder you didn't get arrested! :D

It sounds like the highway coaches have a lot more iron in them than the shcool buses. There's no steel on the exterior of my coach except for the ribbed belting under the original windows and the bumpers (which would take a thousand years to rust through).

It will be interesting getting to know your bus by remote control over the forum.
Dj

Post by Dj »

Hopefully you got some rest after doing all that late night early morning inspection work!

Can't wait to read more about your bus and see some photos of the oddities you revealed this morning.

Best of luck!
Navservice

Post by Navservice »

Man, don't you just hate it when you click on "Submit" and you lose everything?

I finally saw the bus in daylight and it didn't look all that different. The rust looks like it will be a major problem and I don't know how to deal with it. Here are some photos of the bad stuff:

ImageImageImage
In the case of the step, there is significant movement if I don't use the part of the step opposite the rust.

OK, this should be fun...
ImageImageImage
Yes, I figured out what the mysterious "Forward/Reverse" self centering air valve does. It places the main gearbox in forward or reverse! I wonder why they say not to use high range in reverse... Does anyone know the world speed record for a bus operating in reverse? Maybe I should call the people at Guiness. Maybe I shouldn't. I'm satisfied with six speeds in reverse.

I was able to identify the other mysterious lever that might be an engine brake, here it is:
Imagine my surprise when I moved the lever to the "On" position and the air horn sounded.

In my (foggy) memory, that tank attached to the bulkhead is the air reservior I used to drain on a daily basis. I cracked the bleed valve and got engine oil. Hmmm, maybe the compressor needs a little work. Someone be sure and let me know before I drain out all the engine oil by mistake!

Well, I'm coming down from my adrenaline high, I need to get some sleep. Oh yeah, did I mention that the bus started up even with batteries that were supposed to have been dead?

Paperwork tomorrow and, with luck, servicing at a truck service center.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Navservice wrote:Sharkey, can you delete that last post
Done. Remember that you can do this yourself now that you are registered, by clicking the little "X" icon at the upper right of your post. Better, you could exit the original post, replacing the address of the huuuge image with the address of the smaller (and thanks for resizing, my screen resoltion and modem thank you as well).

If you take a very long time to compose a post, the session may end before you hit the "submit" button. I always play it safe on long posts and do a CTL+A to copy all the text, then CTL+C to copy it to the clipboard. If your session has ended, all you have to do is paste the post back into the form after logging back in.

Reading the rest of the post...

My Housetruck has a three speed Brownie, and I once decided to try all three in reverse. R+OD was exciting. I don't see the purpose of any further experimentation on that front.

The big cylinder on the bulkhead looks like the oil filter, I'm not surprised you got oil out of it. My Crown has three reservoirs, each with it's own drain valve:

One behind the rear axles (main)

One between the frame rail just forward of the front axle (reserve)

One on the underside of the left hand frame rail under the driver's floor (emergency reserve)

A toggle-operated air horn. Very handy for blowing little old ladies in Ramblers off the road, but a bit hard on the ears.
Navservice

Post by Navservice »

Thanks, I'll stop draining oil out of the filter now. I was wondering why the air tank had lines going to the crankcase...

I seem to recall that the air tanks were more accessible. There were none inside any of the compartments. There is now an outline of the bus made up of rust flakes that have fallen as a result of opening the door, hatches and starting the engine. The bus has way too much rust. I thought about stopping by West Coaches while I'm in California to see if they have any input. The bus was in Oregon from 1975 to 2005.

That lever that works the horn has markings that make it look like it's a Williams brake. The Crowns I've driven all had floor mounted push buttom valves for the air horn. There is one of those on this bus but it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe it's now the Williams brake...

I still have plenty of questions, I'll have to include more photos when I ask them. Later.

Thanks for the info, I'll look for the air tanks tomorrow,

Miles In Oakland (Kingman)
etinhidesert

High range reverse

Post by etinhidesert »

In high range reverse, the gears don't throw enough oil to the rear (or back half) of the tranny. At least that's what happens in a RoadRanger.

Elden in Hesperia
Forgottenhighway

Post by Forgottenhighway »

That Williams switch is for actuating the parking brake or the exhaust brake.Someone has switched the wires around I guess.
The company is still in business in Portland as Brake Systems Inc.

Cheers, Pat
Dj

Post by Dj »

Wow, that transmission looks like an adventure in itself. :)

I'd imagine that with an empty bus, you could easily just leave the hi/lo in hi, and shift 2-4-6-8-10-12, but you probably already know that. :)

I've heard the same sort of things Elden mentioned for why not to use high range/gears when in reverse- you typically won't be moving very quickly in reverse, and won't be pumping enough oil inside the transmission if you're too highly geared.

At least it makes some sense. :)
Navservice

Post by Navservice »

Thanks DJ, it works pretty well (up to a point) shifting from 2, 4, 6, 8. After that it seems like there's a larger gap between the ratios. Actually, in high range it feels like there is a larger gap and you really need the extra gears. Man, I've only had one Jack and Coke and it's already hard to type. Well, I really needed it. The bus drives just like a Crown. I could easily be mistaken but the suspension feels the same to me.

DMV work is done. I thought I would have to worry about making this a commercial vehicle but I went to the DMV at closing and the lady registered it as a motorhome and I got private car plates! I could kiss her but I'd probably be arrested. Insurance is handled and all that is left is servicing in the morning.

Earlier in the afternoon I drove the bus to a public scale because the DMV had indicated they would need a certified weight measurement. After weighing (22,480 lbs.) I tried to get an oil change and a few other things. The guy that runs their service area refused to do anything because he wasn't familiar with any bus that had an engine in the middle (the bigot). He didn't waste any time, however, showing me his GMC 4903.

I called around (and accepted advice) and spoke with East Bay Truck and Auto Repair at 6825 San Leandro Blvd in (or near) Oakland. I told the guy that I had a bus with a Cummins 220 that needs an oil change. He said, "Is that the one with the pancake engine?". I said something like "Yup". He said, "I used to work on all those buses years ago". So, I have an appointment at 8 in the morning for an oil change, coolant change, new filters, check fluids and brakes and so on. After that I'll be on my way.

The fastest I've driven it so far was a short distance on the freeway at 55 MPH. I noticed some looseness and shimmying in the steering wheel so I guess I'll have him take a look at that too. Other than that, all the lights now work and I'm ready for a road trip.
Last edited by Navservice on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Hey, it started right up and you were able to move out down the road. It sounds as if you got a real keeper.

As far as the louvers in the roof are concerned, who knows where and what your bus has done since it left L.A. originally. If the bus was operated for hire in OR it may not have needed to have had A/C, particularly if the bus has opening windows. My '69 Crown would get warm if it was standing still like any other bus. But once you got it out on the road the "blow-through" ventilation would cool the bus down almost as much as the A/C system would in my MCI. The only time it really got warm in the '69 was climbing the grade into Goldendale one summer. It was 112 degrees outside and by the time we got to the top of the grade our speed was down to 15 MPH. Still plenty of power in the 262, still plenty of cooling, exhaust gas temps were really going up--time to slow down or cook a piston (by the way, Cummins engines will not take heat like a DD. If your bus doesn't have an exhaust temp gauge, put one in if you ever plan to climb hills).

As far as the rust is concerned, if the nose of the bus was parked in such as way that the wind would blow rain at it and the sun would not touch it directly even a Crown will rust. I have seen a Crown that saw service for the Long Beach School District in Ilwaco, WA and I have seen pictures of a Crown that saw service in a Long Beach, CA area and both had the same sort of rust that your bus has.

Yes the body panels are aluminum. But under the aluminum is steel. Also, the frames around the front and rear windows are also steel.

I really don't think you have as much or a problem as you might think unless the whole corner post is rotted out. The step well assembly is of a fairly simple frame construction. Even the window frame shouldn't be much of a problem for a good welder. And unless you were going to use the service door as a service door it shouldn't prove to be much of a problem fabricating a house door with a window.

The tank definitely looks like a Lub-R-Finer oil filter. The filter element is still used so it is easily available. It will take more than a gallon of oil by itself. The extra oil and the remote mounted tank does tend to keep the oil cooler.

The mounting location tends to reinforce my opinion your bus left the factory with an A/C system run off of a pony moter. Every other Lub-R-Finer oil filters I have seen were mounted on the stern bulkhead and not the bow bulkhead. The one picture I have seen of a pony motor A/C system was mounted side-to-side on the curbside of the engine. It was a little crowded but it also allowed for an additional luggage compartment on the curbside. It also meant the batteries were mounted on the driver's side by the air intake.

Good luck on your trip home.

Mark O.
Castle Rock, WA
Navservice

Post by Navservice »

Well, I made it to S. Cal. without incident. Service was done in San Leandro at East Bay Truck and Auto repair by Bill King, the man who fears no machine. He says that's why he's getting so many bio-diesel repair jobs now. I think the service was kind of high at $660 but I got everything done that I wanted and a few things I didn't know I needed. Apparently, the coolant filter element is no longer available so I had him replace the filter housing with one that uses spin on filters. They checked the front end briefly because I complained about steering wheel wobble on the freeway. I'm beginning to think it may have something to do with power steering. He changed out the coolant and recommended Now Cool as an additive. He didn't have any and I haven't been able to find it, does anybody know where to get some?

The bus is quick, I was able to pass most cars when I tried. The speedometer is way off so I have to guess the top speed is around 75. The hub odometer is accurate so I can tell you it gets 11 mpg. If the fuel gauge is correct, it looks like the tank capacity is about 50 gal.

I stopped in Fresno and Elden is right, the visit with Patrick Young is an experience not soon forgotten.

Mark is right, the batteries are located next to the air cleaner. The battey access panel, and several others, are no longer attached by the rubber hinge at the top. Those panels are held in by 1/2" conduit clamps placed under the nuts holding the rubber strips. Is there anything unique about those rubber hinges, or could I replace them with any suitable rubber I can find that is trimmed to the right size and shape?

I thought I might be able to get up the Grapevine in 10th gear but that turned out to be too much for the bus. It went up in 9th easily, passing most trucks and being passed by some. Mark, it sounds like the exhaust gas temp. gauge you're talking about is a pyrometer, is that right? I've thought about getting one for the truck also.

I have lots of photos but no time right now. I'll leave Monday for Kingman. Patrick Young plans on being in Blythe on Tuesday, I thought I might use that as a excuse to take my wife and stepdaughter on an outing in the bus. I'll post photos when I get to Kingman next week, I'll be offshore for the next few days.

Miles in Kingman
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hi Miles, I was beginning to wonder if we were going to get an update. Kind of got worried about you being broken down on some deserted desert backroad...
They checked the front end briefly because I complained about steering wheel wobble on the freeway. I'm beginning to think it may have something to do with power steering.
Are you still experiencing this? I had a similar problem when I put my bus back on the road this summer after it sat for 11 years. The shop I took it to fiddled with the controller a bit, but to be honest, I think that exercising it made it better faster then their adjustment. The topic I wrote about that issue is here.

So, how difficult is the transmission to shift and get used to? The shift linkage in mine is so loose that it's impossible to feel any feedback from the trans, and it's only a five speed.
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

damn, thats a really wild transmission. Maybe the most unique I've seen. Kinna like a fork lift, in that it has a foward and reverse control. Real cool. My truck has a high and low reverse (regular eaton fuller 10 sped) and I tried hi reverse; Its real fast and causes almost instant jack-knife!
I guess yours is like a 13 speed without (L)ow and (R)everse, which is very uniquely on a switch... good find!

-Dadeo
Navservice

Post by Navservice »

I'm back in S. Cal., I'll leave for Kingman this afternoon.

I saw a post somewhere that mentioned a coolant additive from NAPA called NaCool, I guess I'll try to find that, not much luck finding Now Cool.

Sharkey, I've read a lot of your posts here including your saga about moving your Crown, I see a lot of similarities. When I read about your power steering it made me think about mine. Someone suggested to me that the fix might be as easy as looking for a kinked power steering hose, something I have not done yet. When I had the service done, I made sure the power steering fluid was topped up, I didn't see any obvious problems with the pump or belts.

Maybe exercise will help. One reason it is so noticeable to me is because I'm looking for reasons why the ride feels so much rougher than other air ride buses I've driven. The constant vibration in the wheel wouldn't affect anyone else's perception of the ride but it does affect mine. I had plenty of time to think about this on the way down from Oakland, it took me a little while to realize that everything I've driven in recent years (Prevosts included) has an air seat for the driver. Hmm, I wonder what those go for on eBay...

Yeah, the transmission. Well, I have to like a transmission that lets me do 75 mph and gives me 11 mpg. I don't have to like the shift pattern though, my Freightliner cabover is much easier and nicer to drive (ten speed). I've pretty much gotten over some of the smaller problems, I no longer try to shift into a position that doesn't exist (this pattern is a small h, not a capital H). I don't often try to downshift while forgetting to set the range to low. The thing that continues to give me trouble is the idea of shifting out of a position only to have to shift back into it again. I keep trying to shift from the top of the h to the bottom. Many times my next gear is waiting for me in the same position I just left. You have to pay attention to how many times you've used that position. When I start from a stop I skip 1st, 3rd, and 5th so I just shift as if it were a five speed when I'm in low range, I use a six or seven hundred RPM differential between gears. In high range, it really helps to use every gear so I don't skip any. The shifts go much faster because I only use about 300 RPM differential, there's not so much waiting for the engine to slow down. If I'm paying attention to what I'm doing, all goes well. I haven't yet tried shifting through all twelve gears, I don't think it will be necessary under most conditions.

The guy who did the service remembers the Spicer 12 speed from trucks he's worked on. He tells me it's a huge boxy, heavy transmission. I can see how the Fuller ten speed might be more desirable but I'm getting everything I want out of this one. I just have to get used to driving it. Fortunately, the shift linkage is not loose, it probably feels like it should.

Miles (soon to be) in Kingman