Rolling Home Featured on Oprah

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

fiddlercrabus

Rolling Home Featured on Oprah

Post by fiddlercrabus »

I was just flipping through the TV and came across a very nice hand crafted rolling home(It was a double-axle trailer platform, full wood and stained/beveled glass inside and out!) featured on an Oprah episode entitled "small spaces." It was about different ways to decorate small interior areas(96 square feet in this case). I'm not becoming a regular viewer by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it was neat that it was featured in a very favorable light as a legitimate alternative lifestyle.
Griff
~(G)Q

Re: Rolling Home Featured on Oprah

Post by Griff »

fiddlercrabus wrote:I was just flipping. . .but I thought it was neat that it was featured in a very favorable light as a legitimate alternative lifestyle.
Yeah, I can't count the number of conversations I've been in with people I meet through my job, that have trailed off to an awkward silence when I answer the question: "Where do you live?" with "In a bus.". It's like I'm just a regular guy. . .until then.
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Yeah, was it this trailer:?

"Wayzalot"

Oprah, eh? Now I know wer're doomed. I was always afraid that Martha Stewart would find out about house trucks...
fiddlercrabus

Post by fiddlercrabus »

It wasn't wayzalot, but it was still pretty neat.
It kind of looked like the one on the cover of frewheeling homes:
Dj

Post by Dj »

I dig Wayzalot's style.

After getting in to the "Quad Box" videos someone posted on this site of an old Mack B61 and it's 20-speed trans, I started toying with the idea of a classic truck pulling a custom trailer instead of a housetruck or bus idea...

The pics of Wayzalot don't tend to show the "new old" truck, just an old international day cab single axle.

What kind of truck is that they're using in that pic? Can't see the grill, so I'm having trouble figuring it out :)
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

It's an old International. Apparently, they use it for local towing and when the trailer needs to be taken somewhere fast or far away they use the more modern rig. Makes a lot of sense, have a vintage tow rig for the ambience and something with lots of power, air conditioning, etc, when you need to make time over the road.
Dj

Post by Dj »

Call me crazy but my most favorite road trips of all time have been in vehicles that one would think lacked sufficient amenity, comfort, or power. :D