Federal Housetruck on HGTV

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

It sure would be nice to get a copy of that tape

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey Roger

I'll buy 2 more copies of your book If you slip in a copy of that tape :lol:
Being a bus/home dweller I don't get cable TV :cry: Thats 2 count um 2 :shock:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hmmm, I sure would like a copy of that tape }:o)

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hello folks

Did anyone else tape the show about Eric's housetruck? I would be more then happy to pay for ant shipping fee and the price of the tape if someone would send me a copy. :wink:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Truckingturtle
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Truckingturtle »

Dennis- If you'll go to my web site and purchase 2 books, I also include a DVD of Eric's housetruck TV show.

If anyone else is interested in a DVD copy of Eric's TV show, I have a limited number of DVD's I'll sell at cost for $2 plus $4 for Priority Mail or $2 for Media Mail.

Roger
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

OK, so yesterday (Sunday), Roger went over to Sisters, Oregon to meet up with Eric and take the tour of the new/old Federal housetruck. Eric was down from Washington state to attend a function in Sisters, and since the Federal is his "RV", he had it along.

I haven't heard from Roger, but he took along his (antique, film) camera and was going to take a lot of photos. Of course, we'll all have to wait until the film is developed and the prints (or negatives) are scanned before we get to see them.

Watching the HGTV DVD segment on the truck is a bit disorientating. In whatever typical TV-style, things jump around a lot with quick edits, the camera angles are dizzying, the music is frantic and generally, the whole thing induces vertigo in me. More than once I wished that the scene would slow down and simply pan around the truck so I could get a decent look at it.

Hopefully, we'll get to see more of the truck without the TV-viewers-have-a-short-attention-span-gotta-keep-it-interesting treatment when Roger reports in.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Got the whole story today of Roger's visit with Eric last weekend, scanned some of the photos. Apparently, one of the rolls of film he took didn't come out (too dark), so we don't have as much to choose from.

Here's some of the images that did come out:

A photo taken in the RV park showing the rear of the truck, the first I've seen of it. Wonder what the owners of all of those other RV's were thinking: "Why did I buy this plastic thing when I could have had one of those instead..."

The road side push out pushed in, with the removable knee brackets still in place. The rear one has had the adjustable diagonal pipe removed. The top "C" channel simply lays into place, hooking at the top of the vertical support bolted to the side of the truck, the weight of the slide out holds it from going anywhere.

The CAT intercooled turbo diesel installed in the engine bay. Apparently, the engine took up so much room that the steering shaft had to be routed outside the frame rails with a series of U-joints to allow it to connect to the (new) power steering box. I did notice that the left-hand tire looks like it rubs on the PS box??!

Another nice interior photo. Some of the images Roger took show details like how the electrical and LPG lines make the transition from the stationary parts of the truck to the slide outs.

Roger is already looking forward to the next chance he will get to see the truck and make up for the failed camera work. I've chatted briefly with Eric about adding the truck to the Busbarn on it's own page. If my email gets working again, I may hear back from him about this and start working on a new page.
maldoran

hgtv house truck

Post by maldoran »

hey, sharkey, kevin here in new england. I was just wondering if you spoke to the HGTV guy that created the camper on the federal with the pull out room, he could email me at birdacre@hotmail.com I am really interested in recent projects and would like to share my photos with him, kevin maines ct.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Contacted kevin via email. More news about this truck coming soon!
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Federal House truck video

Post by tamangel »

old thread but happened to find a video on youtube about this rig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLE9L7x1zew

was this the same vid that was on HGTV by chance?

Mike

sure takes awhile to decipher those confirmation codes...couldn't post under my registered info?!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Can't do videos out here in the woods, but if it is very fast paced and jumps around a lot, then that's probably it.

I just checked your account and it's active. I'm wondering if you have javascript turned off? When you try to log in, does your password field fill up with asterisks ************ when you prss the submit button? This forum encrypts your password on your local machine before sending using javascript as a secutiry precaution.

Yes, the confirmation codes are a pain. I'm looking into replacing them with something more resaonable.
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Fed HT

Post by tamangel »

This segment is 5:55 min long.. The main thing here is the truck is missing an engine. He shows the yellow new CAT engine under a tarp and the old engine out. He stands in the open engine bay talking in one conversation..
The HGTV show was called "Look What I Did!" Most of the other pic's posted on this thread show this engine already installed..?

Mike

was able to sign in and post this time w/ no problem..thanks....May have been operator error..finally got password correct...:)

"What's the use of a fine house if you don't have a tolerable planet to put it on?" - Henry David Thoreau