Elden's Bus Right Side Complete

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

etinhidesert

Elden's Bus Right Side Complete

Post by etinhidesert »

I took my last route off and asked my dad to come down from Laughlin, NV to help hang the three remaining sheets of aluminum. The result looks pretty good. I had previously welded in some 110 feet of 1.25" square tube for window frames and other sidewall reinforcment. The panels are riveted on 3" centers around the perimeter with Sikaflex 252 adhesive bonding the interior of the panels to the new and existing framing.

Photos to follow.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/297 ... 205662.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/297 ... ddaa84.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/297 ... 61d9b7.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/297 ... 19e783.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/297 ... 3e9203.jpg

Elden in Hesperia
Last edited by etinhidesert on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 12 times in total.
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

looks good, nice work!!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Let's check 'em out large-size:

You must have had hours of grinder fun Elden, getting the belting steel off and removing all of the metal at the bottom of the window wells. I decided to just leave all that steel in place, rather than try and remove it. I cut the hat channel just above the diagonal strip that served to dump water running down the windows on the outside of the lower skin. The 1/2" gap that the water was intended to exit from is filled now. Until I had removed the windows and the interior sheet metal, the wasps and yellowjackets were using my bus as a mothership, the gap betwwen the lower skin and the belting made a perfect beehive entrancve for them!
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

Thanks for "Bumping" up the images. I still can't figure out how to post the pictures with in the forum.
My pneumatic chisel took care of most of the rivet busting and spot weld breaking. Where I slipped and cut more than I wanted the wire feed welder made quick work of the repair. The cutting and fitting of the new framework only took two days, after many miles of thought (I do a lot of my planning while driving almost 2000 miles a week). I was able to find 20 tubes on E-Bay of the Sikaflex 252 for $20.00 plus $5.00 for shipping. Normally about $20.00 per tube. I still have 17 tubes left. Should have plenty for the rest of the project.

Elden in Hesperia
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Elden, it's pretty easy to post photos in the text. Look at the row of buttons along the top of the "Posting a Reply" page. There is one labeled "IMG". You click that once, type (or copy-paste) in the address of the photo, then click the button again (once).

Hit the return key afterwards to put a break between photos or you photo and text, and continue with additional phtotos, or type more.

It's also possible to simply type in the BBcode that indicates images:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.mrsharkey.com/d2gfx2/solwest04.jpg[/img]
Will display this image:

(Note that I placed the example of the BBcode in a "code" box so it would display as text instead of as an image)

There's more than you wanted to know about BBcode in the Userguide, specifically the BBcode section

To enlarge your images, I simply dropped the "_s" and "_m" from the end of the image address (before the ".jpg").
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

Oh, like this!

This was the first one I did a couple of months ago by myself. The lessons learned from that dictated help hanging the 110" X 41" sheets of aluminum. At almost $95.00 a sheet, I can't afford to muck any up!

Elden in Hesperia
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Hi Elden,
How is your bus coming along? Did you finish installing the new windows?

Chuck
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

Funny you should ask! The left side is now complete.

The picture is a little warped because I stitched 4 pictures together to make the one

Elden in Hesperia
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Elden,
Thanks for the photo update. Although that pic is a little scary :shock: I know, I know beggars can't be choosers. :lol:
Were you able to use you bus to travel yet?

Chuck
splummer

Post by splummer »

well i think its a nice pic thanks for sharing
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

I just took my son to band practice today. Does that count? Inside is not done at all yet. I do sleep in it sometimes on the mattress on the floor.

Elden
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Yeah that counts, big time. Does you son dig it?

Chuck
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

Yes, he digs it big time! On the way home I rapped it up to 70 MPH. Goes pretty good for a old gal. I plan on driving her at 62 to 65 MPH when all is done.
etinhidesert

Post by etinhidesert »

Yes, he digs it big time! On the way home I rapped it up to 70 MPH. Goes pretty good for a old gal. I plan on driving her at 62 to 65 MPH when all is done.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Elden,
Do you want to sell any of your old side glass?

Chuck