Pulling my car out of the snow.....

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

dadeo

Pulling my car out of the snow.....

Post by dadeo »

The best way to get your car out of the snow is by using a Kenworth tractor and an 8000lb-test chain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdxdwyDR ... annel_page
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

dadeo

Post by dadeo »

I admit it is somewhat off topic, but well.. the moral here is: carry a chain or something if your gonna be driving your vehicle in the snow!! Vehicles stuck in snow or mud may look hopeless but if the vehicle pulling has good traction, you'd be surprised how little it takes to get unstuck!!
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Don't tow with a chain

Post by stuartcnz »

Chains are a very dangerous way of towing, due to the random directions that they fly, if they break.

A spliced wire strop is much safer, as it is more inclined to just go limp, if it breaks.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I'd guess that's why he used a 8,000 pound test chain doubled. Could probably pull the car in two before that would break.

I once was attempting to pull a 1946 Dodge flatbed out of my front yard where I had gotten it stuck (but not bogged) on some slick ground. A friend was in my old station wagon applying the pull while I steered and powered the truck forward. Sure enough, the chain (which was undersized and old) broke, and I watched it fly back across the hood and into the windshield. I got lucky and it only left a star in the laminated safety glass, but the lesson was pretty clear, a lot of energy invested in something that's not very elastic can still lash out and get you.