my housetruck in n.z

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Jayde Shavak

my housetruck in n.z

Post by Jayde Shavak »

HI there, its great to find this site. Im a 26 yr old aussie chic, recently started building my wee house truck in newzealand on 1980 j1 bedford, so far there is no loft over the cab, but the little house built from the deck is in the traditional gypsey style with a curved rolled iron roof and slanting side walls, popout on the right side of the deck for extra seating room and on the opposite wall double opening french doors (with a fold down deck yet to be attached) so it provides more space on the inside, considering the deck is quite small the pop out maked a huge difference, the drop down off the back deck is yet to be my kitchen with extra storage space below for gas bottles. I was building my truck with some assistance from my x boyfriend who has built 4 or more, but since splitting up ive come back to australia for a short period, but will be returning shortly to nz to continue, since this has become an obsession of mine. I lived in my x boyfriends house truck for 2 years, and so came quite accustomed to the gypsy lifestyle, yet we were doin it with style as his set up was excellent. our lights, tv, stereo and water pump for the kitchen sink all ran off solar power, while the hot water fridge and cooker ran off gas. my x boyfriends truck was built on a j3 1950 bedford with a jappa motor. His house had 2 popout one for seating and table, the other for the kitchen bench and sink, decked out nicely with wood finish interior. and 2 lofts one over the cab for the dog ha ha! and one back loft with double bed, where we slept and where the roof actually rolled off and at night on a summers night you could look at the stars. im interested in building possible in australia commercially, but am still exploring the building requirements here. if anyone has any info to pass on, or comments or questions id love to hear from you. my email is radiesthesia07@hotmail.com.au :) :lol:
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Post by tamangel »

Sounds like a great project. Hope you can post about a million pic's of the process when you have some time..

Mike
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Jayde

It sounds like you 2 had a great home there. I’ve lived 5 years in my school bus/home and now im building a big house bus/home for myself. I sold the old one to have money to build this one so im roughing it for now in my new bus while im putting it together. Both of my bus/homes are powered by solar. The new bigbu/home will have big time solar. Hey, If you have any pics of the one you and your guy lived in and any of the one you building for yourself I’d like to see them. Also, We have a member named Amy that’s trying to build a gypsy wagon for her self but having trouble figuring it out maybe you could drop her a line with some pointers. Here is a link to her post on the Sharkey site http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=481 She has all the makings of a great old school gypsy wagon except her help bailed on her so she needs a jump start. Well, good luck with your new home and keep use all posted on how it’s coming along. Sharkeys site is one of the best out there, also try www.housetrucks.com The owner Roger Beck has a great housetruck book for sale as well.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.