rail bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

dadeo

rail bus

Post by dadeo »

it would be cool to do something like this: http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips7/railbus_tips.html
but with a street running gear, or to make something like an old caboose style house-truck, complete with the observation deck:
http://www.irritatedvowel.com/Railroad/ ... rior1.aspx
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

in fact, i think an old caboose would also make a nice cabin, if you somehow got it to where you wanted it, then set it on a nice foundation.
or, atlernatly, you could just leave it on its wheels!! kinna like how people use old box-cars for bridges... i guess theres not an over-abundence of old cabosses though.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Eh, I've heard that old cabooses smell pretty bad inside and have no insulation. Mouse habitat in my opinion.
dragonhorseboy

Post by dragonhorseboy »

hmm a powered "all in one" coach..that seem interesting.

I guess that if you're struggling with little or no money left at all you have to do with whatever you still got left and that would be a combo car and an unused engine or damaged locomotive and some work in the repair shop ... thats what me think the real ones were like?

dragonhorseboy....
dodgebus

caboose

Post by dodgebus »

I think a old caboose would be to wide for the road. Don't know for sure but I think the are.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hey Dan, what ever happened to your web page? Should I remove you from the "Links" page, or is it going to come back some day??

Congrats on the Rolling Homes book. Roger just gave me a copy of Roll Your Own, which he purchased from ebay. I had only seen the copy from the library up until Friday.
dodgebus

webpage

Post by dodgebus »

HI, I plan to have the site up again. I am in the mist of a rebuld on the bus. The old roof was starting to rot and leak a lot. I hope to Have the bus done in a week or two and then have the site up and runing with the new rebuild. I took thew old dodge on a 1000+ mile trip in dec and she ran like a top. The only prob was a small leak at the carb. Not bad for a 60 year old bus.

Dan
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

Sharky, are you going to update your review of "roll your own" now that you have a copy?? I've wanted a copy, but im unsure about spending the money(If I can even find a copy).

Dodgebus, I think your right about the caboose. I was thinking of the idea of using one as a stationary sort of "cabin", or just using the design as an idea and making a road-worthy "replica"
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I thought about doing an update now that I have a copy, and even thumbed through it yesterday with that in mind. I came away with the same impression that I started with, don't pay more than $10 for a copy of Roll Your Own unless you are some kind of collector-nut and simply ~must~ have it. The information imparted just isn't all that relevant today, the photos aren't so great, and most of the vehicles depicted are of very poor quality. If you are trying to get a nostaglia hit from the 60's/70's, go find a used copy of Shelter or The Whole Earth Catalog. I just didn't find much to relate to in Roll Your Own. It's worth having a low-cost copy for your collection (thanks, Roger), but there are better and more entertaining books you could spend your time and money on. Go out and buy Scott's Vandweller books, they'll tell you more about living on the road than anything available.