My 1946 Cheverolet School Bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Doug, You may not be able to put too many things in your bus, but GOLLY, it sure is beautiful. I love the wood on the ceiling. It's cool that your cat has a little place to hang out. Is that a shower across from your bed/couch? The photos you took really highlight your machine. How fast can it go? What is the engine and gas mileage? I sure wish I could have incorporated my wood stove in my bus, but the recording studio took priority. Rudy
GoodClue

My 1946 Cheverolet ...

Post by GoodClue »

Hello Rudy,
Am sending some $ tomorrow for the CDs, tell me if you need more ...:?:

Thanks for the compliments on the bus. I'm hoping to find an old Airstream or unique trailer to tow behind and expand into, something I could tow with the bus or my pickup ... maybe even just a box utility trailer to use as a shop/power plant/utility trailer ... would allow me more space without changing it's character.

The bus came with a straight six 235 that I had rebuilt. The rear axle is a locked unit, both axles turn ... gives incredible traction but not great gas mileage ... I won't change it out because it can get me through the worst weather and into very steep and deep in the woods places. At one time it had a 3-speed auxilliary Brown-Lipe transmission behind the still original 4 speed slushbox ... but the B-L was gutted before I got the bus, the gears removed and only the upper main shaft was left as a carrier bearing. I didn't know and only lubed to the original box's lube port, which didn't reach the gutted bearings and I froze them, cracked the case and almost threw the drive shaft out the side ... I had a mechanic braze the case, put in new bearings on the main shaft and tap a new, higher lube port which solved the lube issue but left me just the 4 speed and no way to change the range to Highway/Town/Off road. I've been looking for a B-L ever since.

The bus had originally been owned by Colorado College (I can still see the lettering on the side if I look close) for geology class field trips through the fifties. When I was rebuilding the bus I met Joe Scanlan, now passed, a local mechanic who had worked for the college and remembered the bus by number, told me they called it a "Mud" bus and how they used it in the field, how it was able to go everywhere because of it's drive train, and boy was he right.

When I drove to Corpus Christi I was doing over 80 mph close to sea level, still with a third of the throttle to go, when a friend following me pulled me over as I whipped threw a busy speed trap ... wasn't caught ... the speedo cable has never worked, I've found a great site on the web for parts, so will try to fix what I can, or find necessary ... parking light lenses, maybe cables ... http://www.americanclassic.com ... but the gas mileage has never been better than 8 mpg. I dream of finding a wrecked turbo diesel to upgrade or put the body on ...

I've always incorporated a woodstove into whatever structure I've had ... maybe it's because of living in the high country and will always be a primary heat source to me. The place I built in Aguilar was as efficient as I could design, strawbale and sod covered, with a Warm Morning wood/coal cabinet stove as back up to solar. You can put a small stove, designed for boats, or build your own, in a remarkably tiny space. The forum has many good suggestions and links, my adaptation included. I've built many styles of stoves, worked for Fisher Stoves for a while to learn stove design, but prefer to make unique, one-of-a-kind art stoves/sculptures ... the problem being insurance ... to qualify for ICBO ratings the cost is so high you need to make a large quantity of one model to drive the manufacturing cost down. My stoves go into earthships, handmade homes, teepees and tent cabins that don't require insurance, designed to personal taste or need.

The area of my bus designed as the bathroom/shower is currently a closet till I get the Incinolet, tho I'm thinking of a 4' rear deck extension which may include the bathroom and have an additional sliding or fold down porch ... working thru sketches and ideas now.

The wood paneling makes the inside of the bus a warm and very pleasant living space ... when someone spends time in the bus they get it right away. I have electric, antique kerosene, and LED lighting, but my favorite is a single candle on the kitchen counter ... and when the lights are out the moon and stars generate a tremendous amount of pleasing light through the skylight above my bed, rear glass door, additional high side windows, and the arc of windows above the front lounge/driver's area.

You and your talents will, I'm sure, develop a very pleasing living and studio space. The Bluebird you've found already offers a great beginning ... and like I say, study the gypsies and circus wagons ... they developed so many pleasing, comfortable and artistic rolling homes. If I ever get into my stored boxes of books I'll post more great RV pics.

Doug
dburt

Post by dburt »

Hey Doug- here are some pics of a bus motorhome conversion that a friend of mine, Ron Brown of Action Plumbing of Walla Walla, Washington did back in the late '70's. I just remembered it, and so dug the pics out of an old photo album. He put a porch on the back that exxxxxtended a loooooong ways out the back! He had a Ford 460 with a C-6 auto trans installed. It was quite a thing to see around Walla Walla, Washington where he lived. I have not seen him or heard from him in 20 years so I don't know if he is still around or not.

These pictures are just old snapshots, so the quality is not very good but it gives you an idea of what the old Ford bus looked like. Inside there were two bunks that folded up tight against the ceiling and hung down on chains for use at night. There was a kitchen area with a dinette, but I don't think it had a full bath, just a port-a-potty. I like the idea of a rear porch, but it seems easy from this example to get the overall proportions stretched a bit too long for the wheelbase. Also, you could sideswipe objects or cars that were too close to you off to your side if you cut a sharp corner and the rear end would swing wide.

As you can see, the rear tires are quite a bit bigger then the front tires. He had a rear end installed from a 2 and 1/2-ton truck to pack the extra weight since the bus was actually just a 1-ton with the lighter weight axle and dual tires. As I recall, the rear axle had a 2-spd rear end so he could cruise at 75mph if he wanted to.

Dennis

PS- check out those home made rear view mirrors. They looked like airplane style flap or dive brakes that extended out to slow you down when landing or dive bombing!

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

There's a great little rig
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
GoodClue

Rear deck ...

Post by GoodClue »

Thanks Dennis,
Outrageous ... love the concept! You're absolutely correct about the length ... but, back this puppy right over the lake and drop a line ...
Keep those cards/letters and photos coming, great to see what people have done.
Doug
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

As promised, here are some photos of Doug's bus. This one is of before the roof was raised.

Now, the roof has been removed.

Last edited by Rudy on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Doug's bus spent some time as a Gypsy Caravan vehicle. Here are some photos of the canvas roof.

Last edited by Rudy on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Now it's time to weld some supports and raise the roof.

Last edited by Rudy on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

More pictures of the framework.

Last edited by Rudy on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Now, for the roof.

Last edited by Rudy on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Now for pictures of the inside. In a word: Beautiful!

The rear of the bus.

Another.

Last edited by Rudy on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Towards the front.

Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

The desk.

Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

The wood stove.

Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Doug's pal the kitty.

Last edited by Rudy on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got love? Give love.