New Crown on the block pics

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Trizbus

New Crown on the block pics

Post by Trizbus »

I'm new to posting and forums in general so please forgive as I stumble to post some pics of 'my new love and the dear old X'

The Crown is a '64 and seems to have been from a New Mexico school. It was bought by a fellow in Atlanta who rented it for private events. It was painted for a background roll in a movie filmed in New Orleans. Aside from removing the seats I've done nothing to it yet but did get a great wiring diagram from Patrick Young and a motor service manual as well. (very nice).
The GMC was (is) a '65 and this is how she sits today in Colorado. It had a rich life including the birth of my second child and is now retired in a beautiful spot high in the Rockies and used only as a summer cabin. I hope to buy her back one day.

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Interesting, another variation on body design, your bus has slanted window trim applied over the regular vertical bus windows. At first I thought it was a Crown Intercity Coach, but there are significant differences. I wonder if your bus came from the factory with that window trim, or if it was added later to modernize the apperance?

Here's a photo of the one Intercity that I have seen:

That old GMC certainly qualifies you to be a member here! :D
Phil Feinstein

Post by Phil Feinstein »

Hey! *I'M* in Colorado!

Whereabouts is she located?
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Hey cool crown, I have a 57' Atomic energy crown that look's very simular to that 64'. Did you start on the conversion yet?
Do you have any Pics of the inside?
Welcome to the forum.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Old housebus

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I don’t mean to be like some nosey Nabors but do you have any pic’s of the interior of your old housebus that you can post.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Trizbus

Crown slanted window trim

Post by Trizbus »

Sharkey wrote:Interesting, another variation on body design, your bus has slanted window trim applied over the regular vertical bus windows. At first I thought it was a Crown Intercity Coach, but there are significant differences. I wonder if your bus came from the factory with that window trim, or if it was added later to modernize the apperance?

Here's a photo of the one Intercity that I have seen:

That old GMC certainly qualifies you to be a member here! :D
I hadn't realized that the slanted trim is not on most Crowns. I'm thinking it's factory because they have the yellow school bus paint and they look like a stock piece. Here's a close-up pic. I won't be needing these if anyone would like to have them let me know.
Trizbus

Post by Trizbus »

Hi folks thanks for all the comments and replies. Please forgive the awkward postings, I'll soon get the hang of this. As far as the slanted window trim It looks to be from the factory. I tried posting a c/u pic of it but... I'll try again.
I've not yet began any work, still in the planning stage. This bus has the Cummins 220 but I'm not sure if it's got the turbocharger. Can anyone tell from the engine pictures?? also there are two knobs next to the instrument panel. one is for engaging air emergency brakes(? or parking brakes?) the other is blue and you can push it and turn it but seems to do nothing. It is also part of the air system. Anybody know what it is?
Do all mid ship engines hang so low? Seems these hoses are inches from the ground? Is that normal? I suspect my alternator is not the original because at a glance the pulleys don't seem to line up. Everything seems to work and run well.

Trizbus

Re: Old housebus

Post by Trizbus »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:I don’t mean to be like some nosey Nabors but do you have any pic’s of the interior of your old housebus that you can post.
Hi Dennis I dont have interior pictures of the old bus in my posession but I do know who does and I'm sure she'll be happy to send me copies. I'd like to have them and will share them when I get them.
Trizbus

Post by Trizbus »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:Hey cool crown, I have a 57' Atomic energy crown that look's very simular to that 64'. Did you start on the conversion yet?
Do you have any Pics of the inside?
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks, are there pictures of that '57 posted???
Trizbus

Post by Trizbus »

Phil Feinstein wrote:Hey! *I'M* in Colorado!

Whereabouts is she located?
She's on the road to Cripple Creek from Divide is all I know. I've been there but would have to ask the new owners how to find if again.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Everything in your engine compartment looks pretty typical, and yes, they do hang low...

Your alternator may not look stock, but most likely a 1964 coach came with a generator intalled, not an alternator, so it's probably a modification installed when generators became extinct.

No turbo on that engine, they are ~very~ recognizable. I think there is a pic of mine on the server, but I'd have a terrible time finding it right now on the laptop from work. If I find it once I'm at home, I'll post it up

The 220 can be fitted with a turbo. It's called a "California Smoke Kit", and is mostly done to clean up the exhaust rather than a power enhancement. True Crown turbo engines are the 262 and have oil squirters under the pistons to keep them from melting when the fueling is increased for more power. A nice modification, but not a trivial one to accomplish. Mine governs out at 55 MPH, so what use is more power anyway?
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Thanks, are there pictures of that '57 posted???[/quote]

Sorry no pics yet, I'll try to post soon. After looking at the closeup photo of your windows, I think they mocked them up for the movie that it was used in. The ones in my bus look like the ones in the photo Sharkey posted, but not as tall. They slide horizonal, not vertical.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Trizbus wrote: also there are two knobs next to the instrument panel. one is for engaging air emergency brakes(? or parking brakes?) the other is blue and you can push it and turn it but seems to do nothing. It is also part of the air system. Anybody know what it is?
I have not driven any buses so don't really know what I am talking about here, but in American built trucks there is usually two knobs; one for the parking brakes on the truck and the other one for the trailer. There is also quite often an air dump knob (usually black) located near the park brake buttons, so maybe the blue one is an air dump?
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

now-a-days yellow is tractor parking brakes and red is trailer supply (release brakes). I've seen the blue one in pictures, but I don't know what it does.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

On the subject of turbos, I did have a couple of photos, but not on the server.

First, a photo of my bus engine compartment when I purchased it. This may or may not be the factory configuration for a turbo, as I have the distinct feeling that this bus was fitted with a turbo after it had been in service for a while:

The exhaust enters the turbo expressor at the top of the assembly and exits the rear, passing through an exhaust brake butterfly plate operated via pneumatics.

Intake air is drawn from the air cleaner into the compressor side of the turbo and expelled into the intake manifold of the engine (on the bottom).

Since I have "nothing leaves stock" disease, and because I wanted to maximize under-frame area for mounting tanks, batteries and such, I ditched the original big box air filter and fitted the engine with a disposable cartridge-type filter, fabricating a cradle for it between the engine and the body sheet metal. In order to make the filter last as long as possible, the cartridge filter is fed through a custom fabricated pre-filter that uses throw-away blue polyester filter media which is impregnated with an oily substance to trap particles (that's the white square to the right of the photo). It gets cruddy pretty fast, but at less than $.50 a filter change, I could replace it daily and still be ahead.

As for your brakes, my coach has had significant upgrades to the air brake system, but the principles are the same. There are three air reservoirs on the bus, primary, secondary, and emergency. The air comressor supplies air to the primary system, which runs all of the air-operated accessories, except the brakes (curb door actuator, windshield wipers, inter-axle differential lockout, exhaust brake, etc.)

There is a check valve which allows air to enter the secondary reservoir, but not return. This secondary system runs the braking system. If you lose pressure in the primary system, you have a few brake application's worth of air pressure left in the secondary reservoir.

If you lose pressure in the secondary system, the pressure holding the wheel brakes released goes away, and the spring brakes built into each wheel assembly take over, locking up the rear wheels (rear only, you don't want the front wheels to lock up if the compressor fails!)

From the secondary system, there is another check valve to the emergency system reservoir. The only purpose of the emergency system is to allow the brakes to be released once, and only for a short time. If the bus runs out of air and the wheels lock up in the middle of a busy intersection, or sitting across railroad tracks, the emergency system may allow the bus to be moved to safety. This is probably what the second knob is for.

If you are going to own a bus with air brakes (and they are the only type to have on a rig that sits a lot), I suggest you learn more about them -and- how to check and adjust them properly. Fortunately, I happen to have a cure for this lack of knowledge:

Bendix Air Brake Handbook (in PDF format, please save to your hard drive to keep my bandwidth low)

Bendix Slack Adjusters Handbook Adjusting air brakes isn't hard, but ~very~ important, they go from working dandy to not being there at all with NO noticeable pedal feeling change.