Twelve Tribes buses at the Dead show

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Twelve Tribes buses at the Dead show

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Here are some great rigs. Do any of you guys know what make they are. A buddy of mine took these at the Dead show last week.

Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

They're post-WWII Aerocoaches, but beyond that, I have no data. The one book I have that mentions them says that Aerocoach used six-cylinder International or Continental gas engines coupled to a 5-speed Clark transmission with 5th being an overdrive. The buses were considered by some operators to be underpowered.

"Aerocoach was an attractive and comfortable bus that played a big part in modernizing many fleets in the postwar years"
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Were they stock like these or were these customized?
Peace along the way
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

WOW! Those are BEAUTIFUL! 8)

Blast it, Dennis! :evil: Just when I had finally shelved my dream of an old Scenicruiser, ya had to post these pics! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Yah these are great old rigs. Heres a coupleof more shots of them.

Peace along the way
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Gotta love the paint scheme, too!

Thanks for sharing, Dennis! 8)
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
GoodClue

Twelve Tribes busses ...

Post by GoodClue »

I agree, beautiful ... wish I could find windows/parts, I'm ready to try another rig tho I still have work to do on mine ... going to invest in an INCINOLET electric toilet soon ( http://ssl3.adhost.com/incinolet/ ). The Harry Potter triple decker makes me drool ... What I love about nomadic vehicles, they are truly freedoms of expression ... kinetic sculpture, from gypsy wagons thru boats and busses, they test the boundries of human politics ... got to keep 'em to code to stay rolling. I've been cheered on by Texas State Patrolmen and pulled over by Colorado cops ... keep it legal and express away my friends ... :wink:
Phil Feinstein

Post by Phil Feinstein »

There are dozens more pictures of this bus on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr38/2475050430/ and at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr38/2475048154

From what I've read so far, this is a customer bus made from at least 2 busses. The "GA" on the front is for "General American Aerocoach" and this company was operating from 1939 to 1952. Very little documentation on the web, but I suspect that this started life as a P-372.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Phil, thanks for posting those links. Good thing I just got a high speed connection!!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Wow, it's a great rig but it's to bad that the folks that own it seem to be oddballs. Great workmanship though.
Peace along the way
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Oh, I don't know that they are any more oddball than some of the rest of us here, just zealous witnesses for a faith that they believe strongly in. After all didn't Stephen Gaskin use a bus caravan to spread his beilief?

Gotta say that open common space with the vista-cruiser windows is very inviting. So much light and views.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I guess your right there Sharkey old boy.
Peace along the way
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

How many buses did it take to make that? I think 2, but it could be 3.
Phil Feinstein

Post by Phil Feinstein »

My 2p on how many busses is that it's 2 with some sheetmetal borrowed from a 3rd.

I'm going by the picture showing the back of the bus; The bottom pair of windows is what the rig had as stock (which is what makes me guess it was a P-372), with a pair from the graft right above them. The borrowed sheetmetal would be the transition hump between the roof of the first bus and the nose of the second bus.
tamangel
Roving Reporter

more on that bus plus other Aerocoach links..

Post by tamangel »

Is this the same bus? found an interior shot on the web..
This bus is the result of combining two buses. The interior is fully wood paneled including the driver's position. It has several sleeping areas, front and rear, with a full kitchen.

General office at 135 LaSalle St, Chicago - factory at 136th Street and Brandon Avenue, Chicago.
Aerocoach made streamlined inter-city buses in Chicago from 1940 through the early 1950s. Early coaches were distinctive, later examples looked like other makers 1950s buses.

Trailways and Gray Line used Aerocoaches in the 1940s and 1950s.

xxxxx

Early in 1940, Gar Wood Industries discontinued the Gar Wood bus and sold its equipment and tools to General American Transportation Corporation. This corporation then organized General American Aerocoach Corporation which commenced building an intercity type bus known as the Aerocoach bus. One model of the Aerocoach bus could have been converted from an intercity bus to an intracity, transit bus, although for all practical purposes Aerocoach and Ford buses were not competitive.

xxx

AEROCOACH (U.S.) 1940-1952

(1) General American Aerocoach Co., Chicago, In. 1940 1946

(2) General American Aerocoach Co., East Chicago, Ind. 1946-1952

General American Transportation Corp., a builder and lessor of railroad cars, purchased the bus manufacturing business of Gar Wood Industries in 1939 (see GAR WOOD) and set up a new production line in Chicago early in 1940. The principle of the welded tube framework was used in an entirely new and larger type of bus later that year, and these 29 and 33-passenger buses gradually superseded the smaller type on the production line. The Aerocoach name was used for both types, so that the earliest Aerocoaches were indistinguishable (except for their nameplates) from the last Gar Woods.

International engines and five-speed Clark trans missions were standard equipment in the new, larger Aerocoaches, which were to be manufactured into the early1950's without substantial change. When bus production was stopped by material shortages in 1943, the sales record stood at approximately 250 Aerocoaches of the Gar Wood type and 300 of the new type, which was the only design resumed when manufacturing began again in April 1944. From then until the end in 1952, another 2350 buses were made. A Continental engine was offered in addition to the International power plant in 1947, and design changes were made in 1949 and 1951, but Aero coach by then had been left behind by the changing de mands of the U.S. intercity bus industry, and at the end much of its output went to foreign customers.

An effort was made to enter the transit bus business in 1948 with the introduction of handsome 36 and 45-passen ger models having fully automatic heating and ventilating systems, but the venture was not successful. An in teresting sideline was the rebuilding of prewar Greyhound Yellow Coaches with diesel engines and new interiors in the postwar years, under contract to Greyhound.

(1) General American Aerocoach Co., Chicago, Illinois. 1940 1946
(2) General American Aerocoach Co., East Chicago, Ind. 1946-1952

a number of pics on this link..upper right ..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr38/2475050430/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr38/24742 ... 752641586/

other aerocoach's

video: http://www.truveo.com/AerocoachCompilat ... 4638901565

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/your_gara ... 2289.shtml

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2007/aug/17/ ... s-to-town/

Mike W