bus size specifications

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

David

bus size specifications

Post by David »

Hi Sharkey -
I guess I get to be the first poster (other than you) even though I ddn't register first.

Does anybody know a good source of information on the sizes of various bus models?

We want to start a conversion that we can make comfortable without having to modify the frame at all. We want to raise the roof and maybe widen the body later, but that would require more time and money than we want to put into it at the start. To consider it comfortable, we figure it needs inside headroom of at least 6'-2", and 3-4" of insulation in the ceiling. The only info I've found online so far is Blue Bird's specs for the All-American bus, which I think is a fairly new model. I hope it's not typical, because at 74" inside, with a 77" option, it wouldn't allow me to raise the floor at all, and would barely allow insulation in the ceiling.

Any suggestions?
David Field
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hi David,

As you've already found, bus body makers offer more overhead as an option. In years gone past, this was common for buses that would serve high school fleets and (for example) military bases. I don't know if the addtional height would be enough to allow much in the way of insulation in the floor, and probably not much more than the original thickness of the inner/outer skin on the roof.

My Crown had a 6' 3" interior. At 5' 10", I would have had little head clearance after putting down insulation and flooring of some sort.

Proabably the bet all around is going to be raise the roof. Not only do you want good thick insulation in both the floor and roof, but if you will be spending much time inside, the extra headroom is a valuable psychological factor that will contribute greatly to your comfort.

One of the best roof-raise sites out there is the Blackman Family bus This isn't the only way to raise a roof, but it's well illustrated, and one of the only sites I know about that actually describes the process.