The Passing of a Brother

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

The Passing of a Brother

Post by Sharkey »

Earlier this week I got a call from Roger (Truckingturtle), reporting on one of the housetrucking communities earliest and in some respects, most prominent members. I'm relating this from memory, so I may have some of the details wrong, and may have to edit others in later, but I wanted to get something posted.

As popular as Roger's own book is, there can be no argument that the best known housetruck book is Rolling Homes. The housetruck on the cover of Jane Lidz's book was constructed by Al, and was his home for a great many miles as he traveled with the Northwest Trading Company, doing the crafts fair circuit.

<center>Image</center>

Of course, it was Rolling Homes and photos of Al's truck that I took at the Oregon Country Fair site that inspired me to make the Bus Barn what it is today. More photos of Al's truck can be found at Roger's site, Housetrucks.Com.

Roger related that Al was an avid fisherman, and nearly always had a small fishing skiff on a trailer behind his car wherever he went.

The weekend of July 11th, Al and some friends went out on a fishing boat to cast some lines in the water. Al wasn't feeling very well, so he went to his bunk below decks to lay down for a while. The waves rocked Al gently to sleep for the last time and he died of heart failure out on the ocean, doing what he loved best, fishing. Al was 62 years of age.

Perhaps I'll get some additional details of this and post them. Adding Al's surname would be a nice touch.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Although I never met Al or any of you traveling folks, I found your life style inspiring. I really would like to find the time for the kid and I to make our way out to meet some of you original housetruck and housebus travelers some time in the next year or so. From the time I got my first copy of Rolling homes about 30 years ago and then again when I got a copy of Rogers book I new at some point I would have to give this kind of life a go. Although I lived 4 ½ years in my school bus home while my daughter went off to college and now a few years in my current big housebus project I haven’t done much actual traveling. I park the rig on a farm for a year or so and then move to another farm for a year or so. I’m only able to work on the new housebus as money allows so it been slow going but I’ll getter done some day. Anyhow, back to Al, Although sad to hear, How many of us are going to be lucky enough to go out do something we truly love. All of us I hope. Happy trail Al.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:I really would like to find the time for the kid and I to make our way out to meet some of you original housetruck and housebus travelers some time...
Yeah, and now you see why you don't want to wait too long.
GoodClue

The Passing ...

Post by GoodClue »

Hello Sharkey ... "Drive on Al ... !"
Tho I'd done the modifications to my bus before I found my copy of Rolling Homes, the porch on the cover vehicle is as inspiring to me now as when I first saw it ... I'm in the process of designing the porch for my bus.

A digression: Always liked the shorter vehicles ... for my purpose, I can pull into places most can't, primarily because of my vehicle's length, 25' bumper to bumper, and because it has a locked rear end ... traction like you wouldn't believe. My bus had been originally owned by Colorado College, they used it for field geological expeditions, probably another karmic link as to why I bought it ... while I was converting it I happened to meet the CC mechanic who'd taken care of it way back when ... he even knew it by serial number. We both called it a "mud bus" You can still see the CC lettering and school copper color under the fading paint.

A porch has been my major design challenge. I would like to have one like an old RR car but, again, like the short chassis for backcountry accessibility, and have been tossing around a 4 footer with a drop down rear rail to extend it once in camp ... but definitly need a porch. Nothing like it. I also intend it to be used as a platform for music/theatrical and snake-oil shows. Any porch ideas will be processed. Am dusting off my welding equipment and getting ready for the project.

Am so greatful to those who came before, love the creativity ... and, like your Trace or my Clue, they continue with all who pick up and carry on ... Drive on, Al!

PS glad you and Camellia found each other.