1973 Blue Bird

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I thought that it would be tough to cut the flooring boards around the top rim if the stairs, so chose to make it out of plywood and carpet. In this photo, it is hard to tell the rim. Look at the top of the picture.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

It's easier to see the lip here.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here are two shots of the platform in place.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

OH! Did I forget to tell you that this platform also becomes a dog bed with the putting of the cushion on it?

I have two of these cushions. I also put one on the engine cover. Emma likes that one during the day as it affords her a view out the driver's window.

Also I don't put the platform down during the day as I could not open the front door. The outside handle on the back door is broken so I can't use that as egress.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

So, come on in. I'll show you around. Let's start with the dog bed/hamper.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

It's such a pretty piece, let's look at it some more.

Oh yeah, It's time to talk about the staining process. For the light color, I used Minwax Polyshades. It is a stain and polyurethane all in one can. It is called Pecan Satin. A quart is about $13.

I used foam brushes and let the first coat dry for a few hours and then did a second coat. That REALLY brought out the grain.

On the cabinet doors, I used Minwax English Chestnut. They didn't have that color with the built in polyurethane. The lady at Home Depot was an ace at matching wood samples of the bus that I had brought in.

I brought her some light stained stuff that we had removed, as well as a section of flooring. She has been matching paints and stains for 15 years. I actually "painted" the dark stain on the cabinet doors to emulate the finish in the flooring. Then in order to get the satin finish, I used the light stain as the second coat.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Nice work Rudy! I can tell you are a craftsman from the old school, and it does not hurt that you work in a custom RV/motorhome factory where they do things the old school way also! No short cuts there, everything must be done top flight!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

As we venture into the bus we turn around and look at it once again.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

In between the dog bed and the couch, I made a little wall out of the flooring boards and put a little ledge on top made of plywood and stained it the light color.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here are some more views of that little wall.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

dburt, Thanks for the compliment.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

As long as we are headed towards the couch, we might as well have a look at it as well as the walnut wall. Under the couch and between the booth bottoms, I made a face frame and door. The door opens downward. Inside that compartment, I have 16, one gallon water jugs. HEY, do you see that ghost in here again? I think it is trying to give me the peace sign.

Last edited by Rudy on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here is the walnut wall. It is made from solid walnut cabinet doors.

They were given to me and I was determined to use them in a creative way.

The first three days after I put them up, I did not want to look at this ostentatious presence in my bus. What is this, a lawyer's office? It just is not my style.

Perfect teeth are never pretty, and this wall is one damn set of perfect teeth.

Coupled with the leather couch, I feel as though I should charge a hundred dollars an hour just for you to look at it. It is still scary. Perhaps , after time, I will get used to that area of my bus.

Maybe I could become a psychiatrist and charge you lots of money to lay on my couch and babble. HA HA.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Upper cabinet above couch

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

It is late (early in the morning) and I have been posting most of the day. I am excited to have gotten to the pictures of the finished work. Good night, and Keep On Bussin'. More is coming tomorrow. Rudy