Phil's Military Volvo

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Phil's Military Volvo

Post by Rudy »

As promised, here is a thread about my brother, Phil's, machine. It is a Volvo (not a Hummer) military 4 wheel drive vehicle that turned in to a "go anywhere" exploring truck. The axles are connected to the top of the wheels instead of in the middle, as with normal vehicles. This gives it a very high ground clearance. There is a name for that type of system and I do not remember it. I will have to do the writing about this vehicle, as he is very often in the boonies and cannot contribute to this "show and tell".
Oh, when you get to the bottom of one page, click on the word "next" to get to the next page. Here is the first pic.

On the upper left is the picture of what it looked like when he got it. The next one on the top is a computer drawn idea of what he wanted to end up with. The bottom ones are the vehicle in "drive mode", and then in parked mode.
Last edited by Rudy on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Gotta walk the doggies now. You may know them from my 1973 Blue Bird bus build thread. When I get back, I will post many pictures of my brother's truck.
There will be some stories, too. I'll be right back. Rudy
Last edited by Rudy on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I'm back. This "show and tell" will be mostly "show". There are lots of cool photos. I will not have much to write about. I can point out a few things, but I will let the pictures do most of the talking. So, here goes.

(edit) I've traveled back in time to tell you that to pay no attention to that man behind the curtain who is writing that he only has ONE picture of the interior. Wait 'til you see the disco ball! Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...This is the only pic I have of the carpentry. Phil built into the vehicle many functions including, sink, toilet, heating, and sleeping accomodations, as well as, on board compressor, welder, GPS, HAM, extra tires, extra fuel, and enough food to stay out on 30 day journeys through the desert.
Last edited by Rudy on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Let's go for a ride now. Phil told me that it was when he let his friend drive his truck, that it got stuck in that sand.

OK, let's pull it out.

Last edited by Rudy on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Let's go swimming!

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

It's so nice to get your feet wet on such a hot, sunny day.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

C'mon baby, you can make it!

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

You gonna make it?

Yeah, he's pretty ballsy. He let me drive once, when I was visiting him, and even though he was giving me specific instructions as to how to control the vehicle on a steep downgrade, I was frightened about falling over the steep cliff to our side and came to rest upon a tree, (at a crawling speed, of course). I then told him that it was his turn.
Last edited by Rudy on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

OK, Let's go uphill now!

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

ROADS? We don't need no stinkin' roads!

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Look, ma, no hands!

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Now, for a nice rest at the beach.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

So, this morning, we are going to look at these old cosmic tubes, that are thought to be left behind, by the advanced race of creatures that have abandoned this planet.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

That's my brother, Phil, in the middle. Did you know that he climbed K2? Of course not. I didn't tell you yet. I will tell you about it soon.
I don't know who the other guys are. I can only presume that they are some friends (with their vehicles) who went to the Mexico trip, with Phil, last year.

Are they dancing?
Last edited by Rudy on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

A nice shot of the desert night.