My Old Bus, The Emerald Gypsy

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Emeraldgypsy

My Old Bus, The Emerald Gypsy

Post by Emeraldgypsy »

Try this again-

Here's a few pics of my old bus that I sold a couple years ago and now lives in Vermont. It took me two years to get it the way I want and it took my young family all over the northwest US for seven years.

dburt

Post by dburt »

Sweet old bus! Do you regret selling it? I hope it has a good home now in Vt!
GoodClue

Emerald Gypsy ...

Post by GoodClue »

Beautiful ... I would hope it stayed in the family ... I know there are reasons to let things go ... but ... why?

I always envisioned mine ending up in the Smithsonian, hanging next to the Spirit of St. Louis ... I heard they let Lindberg visit the Spirit, raising a ladder when he signaled to come back down ... and not a replica like Keasey's, Further 2 ... realizing the only way I'd get it in is to drive it up the steps myself ...
Emeraldgypsy

Emerald Gypsy

Post by Emeraldgypsy »

The reason I sold the Egypsy? In a word, math. When gas hit 3.00 a gallon with the Gypsy getting about 4-7 mpg (heavy and with a 430 Builck) we finally figured out we could stay at the Ritz Carleton for the same price! Plus I wanted to sell it while everything was in top shape and top price. When things like tires, engine, paint, etc. start to go, you're faced with a big bill just to keep it on the road and looking good. If I tried to sell it now I don't think I could get half as much as I did get. I didn't want it to become a quaint guest room that didn't run and needed big bucks to bring her back. We thoroughly enjoyed all the years we had her on the road and the memories for my kids will always be there. Now, our family is getting smaller and I bought a Flip Pac fiberglass camopy for my Toyota pickup. These are REALLY sweet! Fast set up, lots of room, simple, light, and always with you and ready to camp. It's also my work truck and I always keeep a sleeping bag, Big Buddy heater, storm cover rain fly in the truck and can take off or pull over at a moment's notice. Guess I've become a victim of the times, but I still love to travel and had to adapt. Hope this makes sense.
Emeraldgypsy

Emerald Gypsy

Post by Emeraldgypsy »

For those interested, here's a video on the Flip-Pac camper. Mine is exactly the same except with sliding tinted windows on the side. I love this thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dlRq7B1ayQ
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Nice conversion. I would bet that with the Buick power it really moved, particularly compared with the old flat head Ford V-8 it had originally.
Emeraldgypsy

Emerald Gypsy

Post by Emeraldgypsy »

Yes, she could cruise along at 70, but even with the oversized brakes I didn't take it much over 55-60 most of the time. The 2 speed rear axle
helped keep the rpms down and on the hills. But, with Armstrong steering this old girl had to be moving to negotiate any significant turns....
splummer

Post by splummer »

very nice iam not to far from vermont ,if i ever see it i will be sure to take some pics, thanks for the pics. steve