A Recycling Thread?

How can this place be improved?

Moderator: TMAX

yugogypsy

A Recycling Thread?

Post by yugogypsy »

I recycle a lot around here, an example being that a tuna can with a V cut in it serves as my tea mug holder in my van, because it doesn't have cup holders.

My chicken house is made entirely of secondhand plywood and wood off pallets, and pallets form the base.

I'm recycling my bathroom counter into a counter for the bus, and I've got a freecycled rocking chair for it, not to mention a side table donated by a dumpster diving friend of mine and the cabinet I scrounged off my neighbors junk pile.

Who else is using recycled materials?

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I tend to be a bit of a "collector" :roll: I'm not really sure why, but I have a hard time throwing anything in the trash. As my hand hovers over the garabage can with something...my mind is wondering "what could I use this for?" or "I might need this later". Sometimes it's just best to LET IT GO! :D

No, I haven't been able to adapt to that advice yet myself. Which is why I have 2 storage rooms and a garage full of stuff "I might need later" :oops: BUT...I have decided as soon as it warms up just enough for me to get out there, I'm going to sort through it all...keep ONLY what I need to use IMMEDIATELY on my bus, have a garage sale then freecycle the rest. No more storages after April 1st!!!

Lois...I used to make a living off of the wood from pallets! I would take them apart and reuse the wood to make stuff and sell at craft shows. I recently found THIS idea for pallets and I'm going to be making some of these for myself.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
yugogypsy

A Recycling Thread?

Post by yugogypsy »

My collections have outgrown the house, so the furniture I saved is going in the bus and so is a bunch of my craft stuff and something I can take a nap on.

As long as I keep the heater going I'll be toasty warm. I'll think about some of those pallet shelves, be handy for spices etc if you put a bar across the front.

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
splummer

Post by splummer »

well i have to admitt,i save things also ,i consider my self as a collecter not to be confused as a hoarder :) .everything i save has a purpose,
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
yugogypsy

A Recycling Thread?

Post by yugogypsy »

The only thing I hoard is wool, or acrylic yarn or crochet cotton. I get it through Freecycle and then whatever I won't use myself I share with my knitting friends.

Good Morning, I have been up for 21 hours! Happy Chinese New Year!

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

lol...Lois...you're looking a little dark today :D

splummer...I tried not to use the hoard word :oops: I was gonna try to shorten it up to just "h" or something, but I guess being called a ho might now sound good either :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
yugogypsy

A Recycling Thread?

Post by yugogypsy »

Sharkey's teasing.

Everybody ought to have see me in the "what do you look like thread" anyhow.

I was up all night, for what reason I don't know, didn't crash until about 10 this morn.

Thinking soup partly, and wondering how mine is going to turn out
HUGS
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Recycling thread???? How about recycling the buttons also?
Wherever I am...I am home.
yugogypsy

A Recycling Thread?

Post by yugogypsy »

Buttons, bows, zippers, anything off clothes that can be salvaged, and the remaining good material in the clothes. Save all your soap scraps and melt them down, mold in tin cans for a round bar of soap.

Same for all your candle stubs of course

Cotton sweater gone out of shape beyond help? Unravel it and crochet or knit facecloths and hand towels.

The list goes on to infinity

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Very sound advice! Most people are such "throw aways" and we really SHOULD break down and recycle all that we can. I don't think about buttons and zippers on old things because I don't sew...but I do save all nuts and bolts and parts off things as much as I can. Living on the road full time space is always a consideration so pack ratting too much gets cluttery. When I need something I do try to find it used rather than head to Walmart...I just let other people keep my crap for me until I need it! 8)
Wherever I am...I am home.
splummer

Post by splummer »

yep its a throw away world. the biggest high lite sat. is going to the dump,always come back with more then i dumped, and its always good useful stuff. my motto is accumilate not eliminate
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
yugogypsy

A Recycling Thread?

Post by yugogypsy »

Where do you think all the material for my window quilts for Pit Stop are coming from?? All those old jeans, a couple of old blankets and a moving blanket for filler!

:D Lois
Bash On Regardless!