this sucks

How can this place be improved?

Moderator: TMAX

leftlaner

this sucks

Post by leftlaner »

Why would you change something that works? Some of us guys aren't PC nerds, the old forum worked good. Now I can't find shit on here. I would gladly chip in money to put it back the old way. I don't have weeks to figure this new shit all out.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: this sucks

Post by stuartcnz »

Unfortunately keeping it the same just wasn't an option. To be honest, Sharkey did an incredible job of maintaining the forum as it was in the last couple of years. While it was working good on the end that you see, it was falling apart on the back end that you don't see, and it got to the point of being to hard to keep running.

Something had to be done, if the forum was going to stay operational, at which point it became my responsibility to make the decision on what those changes were going to be. The only responsible thing I could do, was shift the forum to software that is still being maintained. This means that the forum will not have to change so radically again for, hopefully, quite some time. I still have a lot of work to do, to get the forum back up to full functionality, and things like chat will also be different to how it used to be, once I get it going again. Again that change will be through necessity. The old chat software simply won't work at all on the current software.

I have implemented a few things already which make the forum run more like the old software did, than what this software does out of the box.

While the interface is different to the old forum, it is no different to many other forums, which have changed over to this software in the last couple of years, for the same reason that I have changed this forum over. However the old posts are still in exactly the same place as they were. Once you start using the forum again, you will find that it doesn't take that long before you know where everything is.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

This is ok, Stuart. Works for me.
Headache

Post by Headache »

This looks great Stuart and I really like the name! :thumbup:

Except for non-working emoticons. /shrug
splummer

Post by splummer »

i also like it ,thanks steve
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Headache wrote:This looks great Stuart and I really like the name! :thumbup:

Except for non-working emoticons. /shrug
I'm pretty sure I have the lost emoticons stored somewhere on my computer, Though I'm to busy over the next few days to dig them out and set them up.

If they are not working in about a week, remind me, I will have forgotten.
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'll do my best to remember Stuart. If I buy the truck today I'll be busy the next week right along with you.

Something to put on your list if it can be done and you want the option here...there's a feature on some php boards where you can opt to stay logged in for longer periods. I like having this feature available since it takes me a long time to type out my thoughts in a coherent manner.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Okay, I'm reminding about the lost emoticons. =)
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'd also like an option added to stay logged in. I kid you not, I was logged out between these two postings and I did not initiate it.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Headache wrote:I'd also like an option added to stay logged in. I kid you not, I was logged out between these two postings and I did not initiate it.
Have you tried leaving the keep me logged in box ticked, when logging in?
I don't do that, but I seem to be able to stayed logged in for ages anyway. I'm wondering if it is some strange quirk of your browser or cookie settings maybe.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Headache wrote:Okay, I'm reminding about the lost emoticons. =)
I'll try to get onto it later today. There is a bit of a process to getting them set up, which is why I haven't just done it straight away. And spring has sprung early here, so I have been doing things in the yard.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Okay, I had some of the lost emoticons, but not all. So I fleshed them out with some replacements. :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :screwy: :sly: :beer: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :banghead:

Most noticeably, the thumbs up and down are different.
Headache

Post by Headache »

stuartcnz wrote:Have you tried leaving the keep me logged in box ticked, when logging in?
I've never seen an option for staying logged in. All I get for tick boxes are to log in automatically when visiting and to hide my online status.
stuartcnz wrote:Most noticeably, the thumbs up and down are different.
Indeed they are! I'm glad I got a 23" monitor because when I looked at them from my crap top monitor I couldn't tell the difference between them. My old lady eyes....lol

Thanks for fixing them!
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

It is probably the log me in automatically tick box I am thinking of. You should still be able to log off at the end of a session.