Feel Like Chatting?

Report anomolous behavior on the forum here.

Moderator: TMAX

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I'll take Wikipedia's color code- 80 80 80
Thanks Sharkey, a bunch of us had a blast in there today.

Chuck
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Could I have 336633 (green) or 336699 (Grayish blue) please.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

OK, you guys are set up with your custom colors. Since I have no way to test them for you, let me know if they are satisfactory.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

My color is great.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Question regarding the "Stop Refresh":

Several users have complained that stopping to read the archived messages results in their having to login again to resume the refresh of the chat page when they are done reading. This probably hs to do with their browser not maintaining the refresh when "backing up" in the browse history.

Would it be better if the "Stop Refresh" link opened a new window/popup with the archive messages in it instead of opening that in the chat window? That way the refresh of the chat wouldn't be interrupted, and you could switch back and forth between the two tabs/windows at will. The "Restart Refresh" link on the archive would then become a "Close Window" link.

Opinions?
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Sharkey, That sounds like a good idea. Everything you do for this chat box is always an improvement.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Changes made, the "Stop Refresh" is now renamed "Archives" and it opens to a full-sized window for your reading pleasure.

Oh, and it's no longer a "ChatBox", now its called "SharkChat". :!:
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I haven't givin it a go yet but that sounds much better
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The chat improves daily. Today, I researched HTML font color codes and found out that there are a lot more colors than just the few I expected. This makes selecting them for the chat usernames even easier.

I've created a page that displays them and allows you to click a color to select it's name. Once you have decided on a color, click it, then select and copy the name of the color and either email it to me, or post it here. I'll edit the database and your new color will appear next time you chat.

Eventually, I will create a field in the user profile that allow you to select and change your username color at will. For the time being, I'll just edit the database by hand, so let those colors roll in.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

great chat machine sharkey , I think it's nice to be able to interact directly with someone on the other side of the world.

on my computor , firefox does not allow automatic refresh. I have to manually [ALLOW] the process to follow a conversation.

Do you know what I can do about this?
58 Bedford House
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

We discussed the solution to the Firefox refresh problem in the chat, but I'm posting the answer here too in case someone else comes along with the same problem:

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Accessibility section, and then uncheck the check box labeled as "Warn me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page".
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Sharkey wrote:Changes made, the "Stop Refresh" is now renamed "Archives" and it opens to a full-sized window for your reading pleasure.

Oh, and it's no longer a "ChatBox", now its called "SharkChat". :!:

I like the new name, but will that make you a "ChatShark" :lol:

Thanks for the improvements Sharkey.

Chuck
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Another long night of coding comes to a close.

Each of you now have the ability of editing your own Chat preferences, including username color, refresh rate, number of messages to display in the live Chat and number of messages to display in the Chat archive page.

I think that the fields should be self-explanatory, and unless you purposely enter some invalid characters in the setup fields, it should all work as expected.

I have written a color picking utility to help you select a color for your username. It does require you to either copy and paste or drag and drop the color name into the text field in the profile after highlighting it first. I think everyone here can do that (?)

To get started, log into the forum, then click the "Profile" link in the left hand menu. While you have your profile up and open, check it for any additional corrections or additions you feel it may need.

I'll be writing a Chat help guide in the next few days to better explain how to make choices when setting up your preferences, as well as an etiquette guide to help stave off any flame wars in the future.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

NEW FEATURE !!!

One of the configuration settings of the Chat is that it can be set up so that the new messages appear either at the top of the window, or at the bottom, which is the default. I saw no reason to change it globally, especially after it was in production.

All of the changes that I'm writing into the code to allow users to control the look and feel of the Chat individually has allowed me to make it possible for each user to decide the direction that the messages are listed in their view. The default is still new messages at the bottom, but you can now go into your profile to change that to new messages at the top, more like a blog.

This was a grade AAA PITA to get working because I left out a single letter "e" in one of the fifty places that I had to type the word "dirEction", and it crashed the profile script every time I tried to change the message direction. That's all fixed now, all you have to do it try it out and decide if you like it.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Oh yeah, just can't leave it alone...

I wasn't happy with the color picker utility for Chat usernames, so I improved it. It's now no longer necessary to select and copy/paste or drag/drop the color name into your profile. You can browse colors by passing the mouse pointer over each, which displays the color name in colored text on a simulated Chat message row. The difference is that now when you click the color, it transfers the color name to your profile and closes the color chart window.

Neat and tidy, and less bother for the user.