Private Messages Enabled

Report anomolous behavior on the forum here.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Private Messages Enabled

Post by Sharkey »

One of the features of this forum software is the ability for users to send private messages to one another. This feature has been disabled from the beginning of the forum's installation, mostly due to the lack of a large enough body of active users who could make use of the ability to communicate privately through the site.

With the installation of the SharkChat and a sudden upswing in active users, I feel that it is time to enable Private Messages and allow users to contact one another. I have the idea that this might be a useful method for people to set up Chat sessions.

Another concern that I had was that the PM feature might be misused by spammers or perhaps utilized by criminal factions to coordinate fraudulent activities. Since even as an Administrator I have no way to monitor Private Messages (yes, they really are private!), I'll have to rely on you, the users of the system to alert me if something untoward happens on the PM system. Under no circumstance will you be solicited in any manner via PM, so if things don't seem right, let me know and I'll have a look into it. I expect all users to mind their manners when using the PM function just as you do in the public forums.

There is a new menu item on the left that will announce any new message you receive (this menu item is only visible when you are logged in). Click the menu link to be taken to the PM console.

There are some PM settings that you can control in your profile. I haven't had time to get this set up and working yet, so there will be another announcement shortly once that is done. The Userguide will also have a section on PM's for you to read.

To send another user a PM, click the "PM" button at the bottom of a user's posts or while viewing their profile information. You can also enter their name in a "new post" form inside the PM console.

Enjoy.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

It's now possible to edit your Private Message settings via your Profile. You can turn email notification of a new PM off (it's set to "on" by default) and similarly turn off the pop-up notification as well.

I also made a modification to the email notification to show who the PM is from. Seemed like a sensible addition.