Hmm,Chat entry sounds

Report anomolous behavior on the forum here.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hmm,Chat entry sounds

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Sharkey

I hope all is well by Camellia and you. So how about some kind of tone when someone comes in to the Shark chat. Alot of times one of us log in to the chat and then we surf around and wait for others to come but when we check back in someone has come and gone :roll: Anyway, if your ever bord that would be a great added feture to your great site. Have a great holiday 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Yes, and so far it looks like I am not smart enough to figure out how to make this work. Each time it's been mentioned, both on the forum and in emails, I've spent a good amount of time looking for some sort of a script that will do this without luck.

Ideally, I'd prefer that the client computer (yours) supplied the beep/ding/blat from the onboard system sounds, but as far as I can tell, this is not possible without having some resident program running on your PC. I'm definitely not smart enough to write that code...

Second choice would be a javascript entry in the chat code that could make your browser launch a sound application in the background and supply the sound. Problem is, I don't know how to make this happen only once per user entry to the forum. If I insert the code in the message list, the noise would keep coming until the message rolls off the top/bottom of your screen. Once is OK, twice maybe, but 20/30/40 times is a bit much.

Last resort is to possibly have a "doorbell" window/tab that you could open, and a click button on the chat send message frame that users could click to alert you. Might work, but you'd have to go and manually close the doorbell window to shut the damn thing up.

If someone here is a code brainiac, slip me some code examples or point me to a tutorial. I'd put it in if I could figure out how.