Calendar Modification Installed

Report anomolous behavior on the forum here.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Calendar Modification Installed

Post by Sharkey »

Just because I post this in the "Trouble Report" forum doesn't mean it trouble, at least no trouble for you, I have to toil over this stuff some to make it work.

I've just finished installin the "Calendar Hack" for the forum. What this means is that there is now a scheduling calendar that you can put upcoing events into.

For instance, I've already entered the "Sunday Chat" for next Sunday at 5PM. Clicking on the link in the calendar brings up a page with any text, smileys, inages, links, etc that are entered when making the event post. Posting is pretty much like posting to the forum, although you have to enter the date and time you want the event to show up on the calendar. Selecting a time span of greater than one day posts the event in all the days between the start and end dates. Handy. You can go back and edit your event post too.

I don't know how useful this will be, but it made sense to be able to make things in advance. Enter your favorite festivals, your birthday if it's important, the next full eclipse of the moon, etc.

There are more add-ons for this, including a "MiniCalendar" that can be placed on pages, and a text field that displays upcoming events in the calendar on pages. I'll look into adding those once I know it's getting some use (and after I figure out how it all works).

For now, the calendar is publically viewable, but only registered users can add an event post.

Registered users can get there by clicking "Calendar" in the left-hand menu. Guests will need to know the address:

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/calendar.php

I can make the calendar link show up in the menu for guests if everyone thinks that is a good idea.

Try it out and have fun, just don't go nuts. I expect there will be a few test posts, so please make a note in the text of the message that it's a test and I'll remove them after everyone has had a chance to play with it some. Also please keep your test posts in the month of February so I don't have to look all over hell and gone to find them for deletion.

Feedback and ideas are welcome.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

OK, so no comments on the calendar. I do see that a few events have been scheduled, which brings up another question.

Do people want to use this for mundane personal reminders, or are these simply test posts? I don't care one way or the other, but I kind of envisioned it as being a bit less about reminding yourself to buy cat litter than a place to post events, dates, etc what would be of common interest to the forum members as a whole. You know, festivals, gatherings, big rummage sales not to be missed, the next few year's of Bob's performance schedule, etc.

I do like the valentine's day messages, though.

Maybe I just need to sit back and let it evolve into whatever it becomes.

Oh, and Dusty; the link address you provided to the Flaxton Festival doesn't work??
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

lol....I thought you said to test it and have fun with it?! I won't really use it for a reminder to pay my rent :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Pretty cool Sharkey. Thanks
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Nice boss 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Sorry about that sharkey , I cannot even get the calander to open now , I get this

Parse error: parse error, unexpected ',', expecting ']' in /var/www/html/sharkey2/public_html/forum/cal_lite.php on line 137

and this

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /var/www/html/sharkey2/public_html/forum/cal_lite.php on line 317
58 Bedford House
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Oh Ack! PHP errors!

Sorry about that back at you. I was doing a file transfer after noodling around in the code some. You must have tried to get in while it was uploading. I'm able to see it properly, so try again.

And for everybody else, I just wanter to make sure that I didn't delete what I thouoght were test posts and then find out your phone service was disconnected or you got evicted because the reminder was gone.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

:D
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Hello MRSHARKEY and and the gang, I also posted my birthday on the 1st of july if that hurts anything or needs to be removed
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
yugogypsy

Calendar

Post by yugogypsy »

I just posted my birthday too, with a reminder that you're all invited-so look in June everyone

:D Lois
Bash On Regardless!
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

purdy colors 8)
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Yes, that's what I've been working on this afternoon. I'm "relaxing" at a friend's beach house and fighting the flaky dial-up connection.

As of now, calendar days with old events have a tan header, the current day is yellow, and upcoming events are dark orange. Days without events have grey headers. It's taken a lot of code crunching to get this to work!
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I do understand how much work it takes for this stuff....nice work, Sharkey...it looks great and I think the Calendar is gonna be quite useful.
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Nicely done Sharkey , thanks. 8)
58 Bedford House
yugogypsy

Calendar

Post by yugogypsy »

I like it!

James in da Graydawg-July 1 is Canada Day, if you come on up we'll throw a bbq for you!

HUGS to All

Have a great day every one

Lois
Bash On Regardless!