Spell check?

Report anomolous behavior on the forum here.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Spell check?

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Sharkey

Is there any way to put a spell check buttom on the forum so when I post something others can read them :lol: I know you don't like us to be able to copy and paste stuff but my spelling really "S#*K"

PS: Any more stuff on Grace?
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Well, there are spel check plugins for the forum software, but I was not impressed with them, and the better ones are sponsored, which menas annoying advertisements.

Have you tried using your browser's Edit | Paste menu option, -or- assuming you are using Windows, CTL+C for copy and CTL+V for paste?
TinnedFish

I'm playing w/ a browser side plugin for spell checking

Post by TinnedFish »

All,

I'm playing around w/ a few of the spell checking extensions for FireFox. It looks like they all require the spelling dictionaries from the Mozilla Suite, but once in place you can edit in BBS/Forum pages and spell check from your web browser before submitting.

I don't want to recommend one until I can spend a few days crash free, but then I'll shout out. Currently playing w/ spellhound.sourceforge.net. If you search the firefox extensions web site you can find a few others.

I know it won't help w/ Opera, but it's a baby step.

TinnedFish
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Well, I'm not sure why, with all the other important stuff I have to do outside, but I installed a spell checker in the forum. I seems to work well, but only if I disable my proxy software and tell Opera to allow pop-up windows. Other than that, it's functional. Give it a try, it's the "Spell Check" button at the bottom of the text box when you add a topic or reply...

Also it doesn't seem to recognize "I'm" so I'll add that to the dictionary. If you find any other words that need adding, let me know.
TinnedFish

Well Done!

Post by TinnedFish »

I just noticed the spellcheck button w/ my last post. Many thanks Sharkey.

So far it's worked great for me, firefox/windows.

The spell checker thinks "Sharkey" is mis-spelled! <grin>

bruce
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

OK, fixed that, it now knows who I am.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Just a note:

The spell checker hasn't been removed, the button has just been moved to the bottom of the form so that it aligns with the other function buttons. I was having problems accidentially pressing it instead of "submit", so I decided that they should all be grouped together.