Possible Outage

Report anomolous behavior on the forum here.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Possible Outage

Post by Sharkey »

The time is nearly here when the server that this site resides upon will be moved. This could take one of several paths, the existing server could be unplugged and thrown in the back of a truck for a ride over to Bend, OR, plugged back in and working in 3 - 4 hours, it could be driven across town and plugged in on the top floor of one of the $5 million black glass upside-down pyramid building that the radio station lives in, or the old server might be trashed and a new server substituted, in which case I get to rebuild the entire site one file at a time and then get it to come up and run again. I don't know which.

The point is that in the next few days, things are going to change, maybe a lot for me, maybe not at all from the user's prespective. I'll keep fairly extensive database backups, but be warned that when/if they take the server offline between backups, any new data ~may~ be lost, depending on which scenario plays out.

Uhg, the only thing that could make this worse is having it happen during tax season...
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

As long as we don't lose any of us we'll get through one way or the other 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Lions and Tigers and Bears. OH MY!
Got love? Give love.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

My .02:

String out the changes - don't change stuff that you don't have to while other things are happening. If you've got plug'n'play in somebody's space and you're going to be real busy elsewhere with important stuff.... Course I got no pride. <g>

Hopin' for the best.

Rufus
Headache

Post by Headache »

Keep a backup or copy of the members list and contact info.

That way if the worst happens you can restart and invite us all back to the new digs!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I'm working on a backup forum so that we can at least keep in touch if the outage takes too long. Just have to figure out how to import the memberlist and it could be up and running.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Good thing I'm not the one in charge of such things- we would just all have to say "goodbye and it was nice know you"! :cry:

Luckily Sharkey is the man in charge :lol:
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hellooooo? Are we still here? :roll:
Peace along the way
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The waiting goes on....

I've been backing up the forum database every few hours, and just now got finished making tarballs of every file on the site and downloading them to my home computer in anticipation of having to reload the entire site from a bare server disk.

Keep that backup forum address handy, I hope we don't need it, but if we don't that only means that the inevitable server swap has been delayed, not averted
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

OK, and we are back.

It looks like everything is operational, although there may be some things that depend upon the old IP address, and which will need to be updated with the new.

If you see anything on the site that looks broken, let me know and I'll check it out.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

A joyous hour this is! I just finished playing my little accordion in the sunny 60 degree evening. I come in and see that Planet Sharkey has successfully navigated it's wealth of words and photos back to our viewing devices.

Joy to us, the "bus family".
Got love? Give love.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

It's funny, what a great place this is :wink:
Peace along the way