User Activation Enabled

Report anomolous behavior on the forum here.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

User Activation Enabled

Post by Sharkey »

Some time back, I disabled the feature on the forum that required new users to activate their accounts by responding to a message mailed to their given email address. The reason for disabling that feature was that the php mailer that handles outgoing messages from the server was notoriously slow and flaky. Many people registered, then waited patiently for their confirmation email to have it never arrive. I activated quite a few accounts manually after the user/members complained in a guest post here.

Today, that all changed. I have re-enabled the user activation feature, partly in response to the increased amount of spam that has been hitting the forum since it began being listed in search engines and directories. The other reason is that I finally got the damn SMTP setting in the forum software to work properly, giving new reliability to outgoing messages.

From now on, a new member will be required to provide a valid email address where they can receive and respond to the forum activation email message. Potential spammers can still get through, but they now have to leave a more traceable trail, and there is an extra step to complete before they can post up their useless crap. Yay!

If anyone registers, and DOESN'T get the confirmation email, contact me using the form that comes up when you click the "Email Sharkey" link in the navigation menu at the left of each page.

The rest of you - keep posting.