4-day training session over for now.

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Standaddy

4-day training session over for now.

Post by Standaddy »

I don't know if news from this part of the country gets out to your part of the world or not, but we've had some rough weather here in the Southeast. Tornadoes, this time deadly. Not sure of the toll, maybe 300 or more. It's been a few years since they've been this bad here.
We were somewhat surprised this afternoon to find that our electrical power was back on, at least a day or two sooner than we had expected. But I consider us very fortunate to only have had to deal with that minor inconvenience, and not the loss of lives and possesions that so many others are facing.
I considered the 4 days without store-bought juice a quick lesson in how to deal with the future, at least that aspect of it. Also tried to get the rest of the family to think about things a bit. If we don't have any more problems of a similar nature, I expect that 6 months from now any lessons will be pretty much forgotten by most. And here I sit, grid-powered lights on, refrigerator humming, back in the saddle again.
Stan
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

I feel this is a part of the beginning of the end of the latest Roman Empire. I hope I'm wrong. Please read this article about $4 a gallon gas.

http://boryanabooks.com/?p=3917

Sorry folks, I just could not think of a better place to put this. If this is not enough for you and you have access to PBS television, check out Bag It (another issue, just as crappy).
Headache

Post by Headache »

I saw some tornado video and they were heart wrenching to view. I'm glad you are okay. :(
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

Tmax, this is a good place for your link. I've been waking up for a couple years now myself. And I suspect we're only about 20 or 30 years behind Sharkey and a few others whose online writings I've been reading as part of my education. After the oil-crunch of '73/'74 (forgot which), I got rid of a 390-powered Mustang, and started driving a VW Beetle. I've pretty much stayed with smaller vehicles since then, but like most Americans, I didn't really continue what I had started. Now I've got 5 grandchildren, and part of my goal for the remainder of my life is to educate them in the importance of understanding the relationship between their way of living and it's impact upon the rock on which they live. Probably the biggest hindrance to that effort is their parents' refusal or inability to believe the seriousness of the situation. Which just puts them in the same boat with most folks, I guess. Which will lead to hitting the wall before they wake up. If/when the youngsters do learn the truth, they'll have to look back at Standaddy and his generation and know that we dropped the ball, leaving them in a much worse situation than if we had acted prudently as a whole society.
Gotta get to work, sorry to get started on that this morning.
Stan
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'm in the opposite position Standaddy, I'm trying to educate a parent that thinks he's to old and is still wrapped up in that post-war industrial government trusting mentality. I think he's still a Rat Packer at heart. That and my son is in college for marketing. I'm hoping he does green marketing.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Glad you are safe! This should be a lesson to us all to be as self sufficient as we can be...cause you never know whats going to happen these days.
Wherever I am...I am home.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Right on, Bob.

Standaddy...glad you're safe and perhaps a little wiser through it all. We have a lot of tornadoes up here in Wisconsin, too. About a month ago we broke a record and had over 15 in one day. I'm sorry to hear about all the devastation down south. Most of my family is from the south and luckily every one of them were spared from being hit.

Times, they are a changin...today I'm catching a ride into town to fill up some containers with gas and diesel. It won't be much but better than none. I'll also buy some more food to add to my stockpile. And of course, some more lumber to be used on my bus.

TMAX....I have a feeling you're not wrong...and it's probably sooner than most realize. I wish I were more ahead in the game than I am, too...but relieved I'm as far as I am considering how many years I wasted consuming instead of reserving. Ignorance really is bliss...and I have a lot of catching up to do now.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

We have missed essentially all the spring storms this year, so far. They have all been going east and north.

Condolences to any/all people you know who are affected. That can be pretty gruesome at times. Good the hear you are well!
Dan