1973 Blue Bird

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I like it Rudy!
Bob

Post by Bob »

I like it too. I have not had good luck with plants in my homes. I remember two....one named George Bush (he died...but nobody liked him anyways) and Robert Plant...he died also...not sure if it was drugs or not.
:(
Wherever I am...I am home.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Bob wrote:I like it too. I have not had good luck with plants in my homes. I remember two....one named George Bush (he died...but nobody liked him anyways) and Robert Plant...he died also...not sure if it was drugs or not.
:(
Too funny! :D
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

I think it looks pretty good RUDY, I stopped and looked at some BONSIA TREES that a oriental lady was selling on the side of the road, NICE TOO!! the prices were cheap I thought considering the age and work that went in to it. I did not have $200 each for the 2 I wanted, she said they were both 18 years old and were full and about 18 to 20 inches high. I also looked at some curly Q cane a lady was selling at the VA hospital one day, but not sure how it would last.

James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Funny, Bob! :D

Rudy, I used to have one of those trees. I sold it :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here is a report on my 60 mile test drive.

The first stop was at the tire shop. I remember that Jesse had put 100 psi in the tires.

I was confused when I saw, on the side of the tires, that they are rated at 120 psi.

I asked Jesse about this. He said he only puts in 100 psi because when the tire heats up while driving, the pressure will increase to 120.

I can assure you that after a half hour of driving in 90 degree weather, the tires were very warm.

It sounds like it makes sense to me, but I am not totally convinced.

The next part of my little jaunt was going to the camper store to get propane. Either my gauge is malfunctioning or the tank is smaller than I thought.

I am almost certain that it is at least a 50 gallon propane tank. I could only get 33.9 gallons in there. I saved some money there. The bill was $101. I got the propane for $3 a gallon.

Next was a trip to the truck stop to get diesel. It appears that my fuel gauge is also malfunctioning.

It was just under 3/4. I figured that it would take 25 gallons to fill it up.

I am laughing as I write this because I realize that I have a 60 gallon fuel tank, not a 100 gallon fuel tank. Therefore it would only take 15 gallons to fill up.

Fuel was $3.79 a gallon. So I also did not spend as much as I thought I would for fuel. The bill was $51.35.

Strange thing is that the fuel gauge still reads 3/4.

Now on to the drive to see a friend.

I got a good handle on where I was situated on my lane. Conceptually, I hugged the yellow line. From the driver's seat, it appeared that I was actually ON the yellow line, but after many visual checks through my side view mirror, I learned that I was 4 inches on my side of the line.

The steering is a little squirly but not bad. It just takes some getting used to. I never felt in peril.

I got the bus up to 60 mph. It sure is loud, having the engine right there next to me.

A diesel engine sure is different than a gas engine. On this bus, you just press the pedal to the floor and let it do its thing until you get to the speed you want.

The 4 speed Allison automatic transmission shifted well. On flat grades, it wouldn't stay in third too long before shifting to fourth.

Actually, there is not much of a difference between 2nd and 3rd. However, you can really tell the difference when it goes into 4th.

I did notice that when you are going along at, say 50mph, and you let off the gas pedal, the bus really doesn't slow down much.

I can see that if I was going down a long hill, I would want the transmission to be in a lower gear.

The brakes performed very well. There was a light that turned red. I was very close to it. I was impressed that when I stomped hard on the brake pedal, the bus stopped quickly.

Having gotten all the items in the bus in (drive mode), I am happy to report that nothing went flying. Most things, like the computers, lamps, and studio gear on my desk are screwed in.

Some things in the rest of the bus are bungeed in.

Apparently, I must have a lot of weight in this bus. I did a quick estimate of having added 3600 lbs of stuff in this bus. It may be even more.

There is a fairly (steep?) hill to get to my friend's place. It is perhaps 3/4 of a mile.

I was disheartened to see the bus slow down dramatically. Fortunately there was a passing lane. I stayed in the slow lane.

I sure wish I had a six cylinder engine. But, I got what I got.

Had that hill been a long grade, I would have downshifted to 3rd gear.

I DO have a switch for flashers that is very accessible.

All in all, it was a successful journey that boosted my confidence in driving this bus.

OH! I forgot to mention how I love the (bouncy bouncy) of the air ride seat.
Last edited by Rudy on Thu May 12, 2011 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Got love? Give love.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Awesome Rudy! You are giving me hope for my soon to be bus trips!
dburt

Post by dburt »

Rudy, soon you will feel like the king of the road! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOkc6aEfkM

Soon you'll be going down the road in your hot rod bus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4vPoyL8 ... re=related

But don't speed, or you will get to meet the highway patrolman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wLVCLP ... re=related
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Hopefully you will be singing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TD_pSeNelU

then you will really feel good, GOOD LUCK RUDY, remember not to exit onto those gravel exit ramps, less you got too. don't let your speed going downhill get out of control.

James in da GRAYDAWG
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Right on, Rudy, you're gonna be just fine! :) Glad you're more confident with it. 8)
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Rudy wrote:I was disheartened to see the bus slow down dramatically. Fortunately there was a passing lane. I stayed in the slow lane.

I sure wish I had a six cylinder engine. But, I got what I got.
Are those 2 extra cylinders slowing you down a little? :D

Here's one for the hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Good for you! Wonderful story of your test run trip! After reading this post from you, I believe you're ready for your up coming journey. I think it's gonna be real nice trip for you.

Hey dburt...really great music Roger Miller and Junior Brown :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I really like this one from Junior Brown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonJu6-X ... re=related
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Very cool!!

I am inspired to at least get mine running again if not finished on the conversion. Can at least drive it around a little bit. Thanks for the inspiration.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Junior Brown is fantastic, listed to the whole 9 minutes, pure joy to my ears. Sorry got to go listen some more to finish getting my natural high.

James in da GRAYDAWG
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here are two pics from when I did my 60 mile test run.
I had gotten the fuel tank filled, and the propane tank filled.

These are photos of where I was visiting my friend, Dottie.

Got love? Give love.