Truck Conversion

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ezrablu

Truck Conversion

Post by ezrablu »

Truck conversion HERE
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Jesper The Dane

Post by Jesper The Dane »

I LOVE the concept of changing a truck loadspace into livingarea. Above all because it's legal where I live! On this particular one I would have gone with another color scheme, and a little different layout. But if it suits whoever lives there - it's fantastic! :)
dburt

Post by dburt »

I am wondering how he will ever service the engine of the truck, since it appears to be a tilt cab, and the floor of the overhead part of the coversion sits too close to the cab roof to allow it to be tilted forward. :?:
Perhaps I am missing something here :roll:
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

I am not a fan of this type truck myself, but figure it must have removable floor pans to access the engine, for his sake I hope so anyway. He did a great job on the conversion, it is also allot of weight for a single rear axle, especially with a workshop in the rear, but he could add one if needed later on, looks like he was doing a jam up job converting it. I really liked the way he did his steps in the side, simple, practical and strong. I have a friend in bossiness that was using the Isuzoo version of that style truck. The trucks caught hell on oil field roads and they stayed in the shop often. He is now buying 5500 series Dodges, they seem to be holding up better, but only time will tell, they were getting better fuel mileage but being broke down most of the time were detrimental to his buss. he was using 500 gallon vacuum tanks and carried 230 gallon fresh water tanks as well. I think it was a little too much strain on the zoozoo's and of coarse his help drove the hell out of them as well.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
yugogypsy

truck conversion

Post by yugogypsy »

looks more like bus or motorhome to me--I'm still project hunting too
Bash On Regardless!
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Post by tamangel »

dburt wrote:I am wondering how he will ever service the engine of the truck

I think there are only 3 options here as I have seen other pics of these trucks w/overhead cab config's. Either slide out thru the front end/grill area , hoist engine out of the passenger compartment through one of the doors, or drop engine out below rig when raised up..

Or...? definitely a chore..

Mike W
Woodi

Truck conversion

Post by Woodi »

Hi folks - glad you like the conversion - its mine. It came as a horsebox, so the 2 main internal walls are steel frame and I decided to leave them be, as they are fairly substantial and already contained the 2 sliding doors.
Likewise the luton / fixed cab. The original cab had totally rotted, so I cut the old one out completely, and while it was gone, the engine had a pretty serious service and all the hoses, clips, filters etc were replaced while access was easy.
The answer to servicing it is that a huge chunk of the seating in the kitchen area lifts out to give access to the engine that is just below and forward of it. Also, I cut out a large piece of the cab floor panel under the seats, and that now has removable panels in it to enable access.
Weight wise, it was originally a 13.5 tonner, and had been downrated to 7.5 at some stage to make it drivable on a standard license. It still has the larger springs and axle though so is well up to the job.
When the weather (and my budget) allow, I'll give it a coat of paint - it got undercoated ages ago and then never completed, so hopefully it wont be battleship grey for ever.
I've posted a load more pictures of it now that we are living in it, and the solar PV is installed etc. It makes a great home, and thanks for coming along to look at it.
Cheers
Steve
aka woodi
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Hello Steve aka Woodi, welcome aboard. I love the way you did your side steps, did you use 2 sizes of pipe for the hinge they pivot on or just a regular hinge, regular RV type steps seem to become useless after a few years of steady use. Can you also post some shots of your workshop and maybe of your wood turning apparatus, and pics of more finished work. I live in a 35 foot converted GM BUS, the type Greyhound used in the 60's and 70's it is a 64 PD4106. I also do woodworking as well as other craft type stuff, is the reason for the interest on how you set it up.
Also you don't have to be a guest, you can join in on the fun as well, we have members from all over the world, even got a few from down under the world, imagine that. Hope to see you round the site. We also like to see pictures of your travels as well, keep us posted. The site is slow right now it is hot summer here, everyone is busy with projects, vacations and other stuff as well, it will get real busy when school starts back, and starts getting cold and rainy.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
woodi

truck conversion

Post by woodi »

Hi, thanks for making me welcome. I've had a good look round and I'm humbled by the amazing trucks and buses I've seen here. Vehicle regulations here in the UK mean that we can't be nearly as creative, and these days those that travel a lot seem to keep their conversions pretty modest so as not to attract too much attention from the authorities.
When the time comes for painting, I'll have to rethink my decoration having seen some of the beauties here though.
Forgot to say that my truck is a Ford, with the straight six, 6.5 litre and 5 speed box.
Will be back soon to explore some more and will register for the forums. Wierdly I can't access this site direct - I just get 403 access forbidden, so I'm having to view it through a Canadian proxy server.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey there Woodie

Im thinking you'll fit right in here 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Woodi;

Thanks for being persistent and finding a way to join us.

One of the reasons that you are able to post as a Guest is that there are very stringent protections on the site to prevent content scraping, exploits and spam. Unfortunately, this means that from time to time, legitimate users are inadvertently shut out. If you are knowledgeable enough to find a way to use a Canadian proxy server, then you likely also know your IP address or IP range. I can easily open up the scripts that protect the site to allow you free access. Shoot me an email through the site contact form (in the menu, at the left "E-Mail Sharkey") and I'll get something set up.

Like the others, I'd appreciate seeing more of your truck.
dburt

Post by dburt »

I'm glad to see that you have a system set up to service your truck engine Woodi- I like the way you planned ahead and your overall project is looking good. I look forward to more pics and posts on the truck and your travels! It's good to have another member on board- welcome! :)