Pea Soup: Comfort Food for a Cold Night

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

yugogypsy

Pea Soup: Comfort Food for a Cold Night

Post by yugogypsy »

Pea soup tonight and we're supposed to have a big dump of snow overnight.

So you start with the broth from a ham or cottage roll, oh about 3-4 quarts, 2 cups of YELLOW peas (green peas are bitter) add 3/4 cup tiny red lentils and cook for a while with as much garlic as you like.

Shred a couple of carrots and add them, cook until they and the peas are done, adding water if it gets too thick.

If there's any ham left, cut fine or zap in the food processor. Add to the pot and top off with a heaping teaspoon of dill weed.

Cook until ham is heated and enjoy with some bread or crackers if you prefer.

Lois :)
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Re: Pea Soup: Comfort Food for a Cold Night

Post by yugogypsy »

Raining here and it's another pea soup day. I stocked up on all sorts of things when I thought we were going to have a helper from Help Exchange and now that she's not coming (fractured her foot) we'll be eating lots of good things.

I am finally gaining weight too. I quit smoking after a bout of pneumonia last Oct. and I've gained about 10 pounds so far. (I worry too much, so don't gain fast)

http://www.michellerosecsf.com/ I'm also signing up for this so we'll have lots of seafood in the house over winter. Salmon chowder, shrimp bisque, and maybe some octopus (don't use head-like chewing an old boot-tentacles are great) Plus prawns. Oh yum. I am making myself hungry, better have some more soup :wink:

HUGS
Lois
Bash On Regardless!