New commuting vehicle

Alternative Fuels of all sorts, Biodiesel, Electric, Human Power, Steam, etc.

Moderator: TMAX

Headache

Re: New commuting vehicle

Post by Headache »

Cool! Now the regenerative brake system, is that some kind of battery charger like an alternator?
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Headache wrote:Cool! Now the regenerative brake system, is that some kind of battery charger like an alternator?
The motor is a brushless permanent magnet motor. When the regen switch is pushed, it turns it into a generator putting a charge back into the battery. I don't know if it puts much of a charge back, but helps as a retarder going down hill, which is mostly what I wanted it for..
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Sweet 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

That looks more compact than I'd figured. Nice system.

One note from my own experience (on the receiving end) with bike lights: The new ones are pretty bright and easily blind oncoming motorists. I've only been nailed once, but it was pretty extreme. Started to be a problem from about 50-70 yards away and got progressively worse until I was blinded when the bike was about 30 yards off. I suspect that the tech is new enough that most people don't realize the this isn't your dad's handle-bar flash light and so it never occurs to them that a little bike light might trouble others.

The solution would have to be about aiming the light, but I don't ride much any more so I don't have any ideas of the issues from the biker's end.

Rufus
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

I've been contemplating that myself. I think the idea is to get the lights aimed in a low beam equivalent to where a car is focused. How to do that I'm not sure. Either trial and error, or possibly try a tester at a garage, then mark the handle bar for future reference.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

I now have the rear brake disc on and have taken the bike for a quick test ride. Going well.

Hopefully, I will have the analyser sometime next week, which will give me the speed that I am going.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

I took the bike to work for the first time today.

Including setting up the battery on the bike and taking it off at each end, and putting it on charge, it took about 50 minutes each way. That is within an acceptable time frame for me, as I usually allow around an hour in the car before starting work any way. I suspect that I will be able to get that time down a bit yet, as I tweek things and get more used to riding it. The lights worked exceptionally well. On my way home I came back over the back road, which has no lighting at all, and my lights worked a treat. So far, I consider this exersize a success.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Great to hear your bike works like planned. I had a thought on the light, but not sure if it leads anywhere. The height of a handle bar light is probably about 8"-12" higher than the usual car lights (though not, of course, the light on a muscle bound pickup). This makes keeping it down a bit harder because to do so essentially aims the light at the ground not far in front of you. Mounting the light lower _might_ help, but there are at least a couple of consequences: 1) It gets more water and crud on it; 2) Frame mounted lights don't swivel with the handle bars (though that might actually be a plus - depends).

#1 also brings to mind the water issue in general. Don't know if your electronics are tolerant of a little wetting or not.

But now I have another alternative idea for transportation. The only problem is the place I actually need it is hilly San Francisco!

Rufus
Headache

Post by Headache »

Grats on the success of your project Stuart!
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

rlaggren wrote: But now I have another alternative idea for transportation. The only problem is the place I actually need it is hilly San Francisco!
Rufus
This bike eats hills! Seriously. I've only walked around San Francisco for one day, but my impression was that the hillyness is about the same as where I live. If I'm not mistaken, the whole electric bike thing started in San Francisco.

The lights don't seem to be an issue, for affecting cars. I can quite easily see where it is aiming, and can adjust on the fly.

The weatherliness of the system will need addressing, but won't take much to make it withstand wet weather. I am waiting for my Cycle Analyst to arrive before I do it though, as I would prefer to do it, basically once. Rather than pull it apart every time I want to connect something new to the system. The Cycle Analyst is the last part of the puzzle, and will give me info on how the battery is performing, as well as my speed and distance.

Today was my third day in a row of using the bike to get to work, and it is working exceptionally well. Next week we are expecting some rain, so I maybe back in the car then, though. I am making a point of marking the calender, next to my shifts, when I ride the bike. So in time, I will get a good picture of the proportion of time I use the bike, compared to the car.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Need Pics :)
58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Dusty wrote:Need Pics :)
Go back to the first page of this topic, and ye shall have pics. :D
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

So the electric motor is in the rear hub .... COOL ... :)
58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Dusty wrote:So the electric motor is in the rear hub .... COOL ... :)
Yes, the motor is in the rear hub.

Day 4 of riding to work today. Was pretty chilly in one of the valley's (-3c) and rain being forcast for the rest of the week, will likely see me back to using the car again.

So, there might not be much more commuting to work on the bike, till the other side of winter, though I may get the odd day in. But it should be good to go regularly, when things start warming again.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey there Stuart, What was the total cost of the bike if you dont mind
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.