1989 S1600 White Rhino

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Headache

Re: 1989 S1600 White Rhino

Post by Headache »

I've finally settled on a floor plan. I've left a ton of details out and most of what's showing is stuff that would be mounted to the floor.

Sorry the font is so small.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Good to have the plan "signed off". Means you can start getting to physical.

Rufus
Headache

Post by Headache »

Indeed! But even that is on hold for now. After the storage facility surprise jacked up my rent, I spent yesterday moving my personal belongings to another storage facility. I get 2 more feet for $60 less a month.

He asked me why I wasn't putting my belongings in my truck and I told him it's because there is no room to put anything. He asked me why and I told him I still had all the building materials in the truck because I can no longer afford to pay for the transportation to come work on it. Then he asked me about my rent subsidy and if I had found a place to live where I can use it and I told him no I hadn't found anything that didn't require a one year lease. So he asks me why I don't get a place with a year lease and I got upset and said with a slightly raised voice "My point in doing all this is TO LEAVE HERE NOT STAY HERE. I'm supposed to be getting out of here to spend time with my Dad who now has cancer AGAIN. Taking a one year lease defeats that purpose doesn't it?"

He doesn't give a damn about me. If he did he would have been there yesterday for me to get the rental truck. Instead he "forgot" forcing me to wait outside in 30 degree weather for 45 minutes while his "leaving right now I'll be right there" also included a stop for coffee on the way. I found out shortly afterwards that he had to be there at noon anyway so he could let a boat in. Basically, I wasn't important enough for him to be to work on time.

I can hardly wait to get my truck out of there at the end of next month. I have to pay the same where it's going and it will be outside(in a fenced area) which means I'll have to do something about the leaky roof sooner than the weather temps will allow but at least it will be 3 easy blocks away from me and I won't be paying that <insert colorful metaphor> almost $400 a month anymore.

Sorry. /end rant
splummer

Post by splummer »

its o k to rant, hope things get better down there so you can get out, keep positive
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Headache

Post by Headache »

Today the weather is beautiful so my caseworker and I are going to move some things from the truck to my storage and bring the piano from storage to the truck. I need the piano so I can better eyeball where the door is going on the side of the box.

I am sooooo looking forward to the good weather and making some progress!
Headache

Post by Headache »

As Mark O. sez, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

The deal to move my truck from where it is now fell through so I'll have to keep it where it is. I'll just have to do what I can with what I have and work on it a little at a time on the road.

The guy doing the metal work is coming on Wed to bolt down the seats. He already drilled the holes. He's also made some patches for the floor from the former bed that was on his pick up. He discovered that the metal was the same gauge. Win win! I'll get up some pics afterward.

I also decided that the air conditioning unit will go above the rear door. I'm going to make something like a drawer with a door on it. When I push the a/c out it will push the door open on the outside and when I pull the a/c back in the door will close behind it.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Okay, things are almost all set up for the new place a friend referred me to for parking my truck....

It's less expensive than where my truck is parked now, it's almost a half mile closer and I'll have access to air and power during off times when there are no trucks around. This will be limited since his trucks run 24/7 and there is only one place to park next to these lines but I will have my moments and worse case I'll drag my lumber over, cut it then drag it back to my truck.

Everything is set up with the towing company to slap their plate on my truck and drive it to the new place and the price is right.

I talked to the local state trooper that does the random commercial truck weights with portable scales. He'll be coming out next week to weigh my truck, it's free and it's a certified weight.

I'll be talking to the shop on Friday to get my batteries charged being I need to be able to pull my truck onto the scale pads and to start it to begin with. I won't have them finish up the work until the end of the month. Another way I'm being screwed by the current storage facility is I had arranged to have my due date when I got my disability, this also included if I was to leave. I wanted this because I wouldn't be able to pay for a new place for my truck until I got my money. Now they say I have to be out on the last day of the month or I have to pay for another month. To circumvent that I'll use that few days to have my truck in the shop for the air ride repairs, checking the a/c and drilling out the tail lights so I can replace them with rubber grommets and L.E.D.s.

I'm cautiously hopeful.

One thing I'm hoping to do is to stop in Indiana at the RV surplus places and do some shopping. Are there places to stay there that allow older trucks? I'm going to be getting as much done with my truck as I can here and have materials for and then I have to move in. My savings is gone so the only way I'm going to finish this is if I'm not paying rent any more.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> cautiously hopeful...

The way to be. Way better than lots of other ways. <g> Sounds like you've covered a lot of problems. I like using the "extra days" for shop work.

Rufus
lorna

Post by lorna »

Headache wrote:... One thing I'm hoping to do is to stop in Indiana at the RV surplus places and do some shopping. Are there places to stay there that allow older trucks?
RV Park Reviews - Elkhart

RV Park Reviews - Bristol would put you roughly halfway between Bontragers in White Pigeon MI and Elkhart IN. Bontragers is closed on Saturdays... check about the others.

Ultimate Public Campgrounds Directory public campgrounds let everyone in.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Don't forget Johnson's Surplus(12195 US 12 White PIgeon), just down the road from Bontraggers, just as big and sometimes cheaper.
I'd offer a parking spot, but I'm 75 miles south of White Pigeon.
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'm going to try and find some parking where I can work on my truck as well so I'm not actively looking for campgrounds but thank you. I'll hit up the campgrounds as shower fillers in between my shower tickets and as I can afford to stay in them. I really want to use the majority of my money paying for fuel, paying people helping me and/or allowing parking, food and making improvements to my living quarters as I travel across the US.

Somewhere, if you have some place and don't mind me working on my truck for a bit I'll be glad to pay for the stay. Just let me know the price and the stay limit so I don't over stay my welcome. Also, if you have used motor oil that doesn't have other stuff added to it I'd be interested in buying it from you. As I work my way across at some of the places I stop I'll be filtering used motor oil to burn in my truck to help lower my fuel costs. Thankfully I have an old mechanical diesel.

After I leave here I'll be staying in Ohio getting some electrical work done before I stop Indiana. That's as far as I have planned.

The state trooper stopped by and I got the weight slip I needed for registering in South Dakota. This makes me happy and that much closer to getting insurance, registered and DRIVING!
splummer

Post by splummer »

sounds like you are ready to hit the road, iam happy for you , i have to say iam not a big fan of using wmo,i have filtered it before to use in my duece ,it has a muilti fuel, diesel here is over 4 bucks a gallon and rising fast ,but to cut cost i still would not use wmo, i have replase i,p before and it could be costley espeically on the road, this is just my opion .also if using diesel fuel i add oil to it , other people can chime in and add to this , good luck on your trip and take plenty of pics, steve
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Sent you a private PM.
Headache

Post by Headache »

splummer wrote:sounds like you are ready to hit the road, iam happy for you , i have to say iam not a big fan of using wmo,i have filtered it before to use in my duece ,it has a muilti fuel, diesel here is over 4 bucks a gallon and rising fast ,but to cut cost i still would not use wmo, i have replase i,p before and it could be costley espeically on the road, this is just my opion .also if using diesel fuel i add oil to it , other people can chime in and add to this , good luck on your trip and take plenty of pics, steve
Yes I've been warned ahead of time by guys doing this to make sure I have at the very least spare filters with me. We did some number crunching and if I were to use 1/2 wmo and half diesel on my trip across the US I'd still be ahead cost wise even if I had to replace the IP. One guy has put over 10k miles on his UHaul truck this way.

In my mind I'm anxious to get rolling but I know I'm not ready yet. If I could I'd buy a little trailer and load everything up in it so I could keep the truck free of my "stuff" while I drove across working on it I would. Then I'd make a solar trailer out of it!
Headache

Post by Headache »

Question: Eventually I'll be installing a heater but I will have to consider what I need to do with the roof and ceiling and as soon as I can, I need to repair and seal the roof. With that in mind, I'd rather use whatever fire safe materials are necessary when I get the roof sealed rather than redo it all later. As of this point after I get the truck moved I'm throwing a tarp over it until I can get it to an RV place. Then all the vents will be installed and the roof repaired and sealed.

The roof of my truck is aluminum. Inside the ceiling will be 2x4s, pink board insulation, luan and whatever I end up using for a decorative cover over the luan. Right now I'm leaning towards faux tin ceiling tiles if I can't get the real thing.

I know what non-flammable materials I'll be using to insulate the area around the stove but I'm not sure what to use around the 4" pipe going out through the ceiling. According to the book I'll have to have a 6" hole out the roof for the pipe. The directions are for a boat. I'm assuming I can use the same materials as for a boat but I want to make sure. The last thing I need is to have caused a fire because of something I overlooked.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/Manuals/Dies ... 2011-2.pdf