housetruck

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

dadeo

housetruck

Post by dadeo »

Sharkey, is this your truck? and if so, do you still live in it?
http://www.mrsharkey.com/busbarn/sharkey/sharkey.htm
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Yes and yes. I'm planning a 30-year observation in photos similar to what I'm doing with Grace. That'll be coming in a month or two.

dadeo

Post by dadeo »

ahhhh, well first of all, good job! second; is the exterior metal or wood, i cant quite tell.. and third; concerning this picture:
which is the main transmission, and which is the auxillary??
dadeo
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The exterior is steel, which is part of the reason for building the new bus, 29 winters of being warm and moist on the inside and cold on the outside have given the metal a terminal rust condition..

The upper, longer shift lever is for the 4-speed 'corporation' transmission that the truck was fitted with from the factory. The rear, shorter shift is a three-speed 'Brownie' under-direct-over auxiliary transmission mounted between the main transmission and the second driveshaft section. Between them, I have twelve forward gears, although I usually only use seven on the road, 1-D, 2-D, 2-O, 3-D, 3-O, 4-D, and if it's downhill or with a tail wind, 4-O. Under gears are great for parking, maneuvering, and creeping around off-road. I can even shift twice while backing up!

Here's one final photo, I don't want to give up too much before the feature:

motthediesel

Post by motthediesel »

Sharkey,
I love the glass doorknob shifters! I have a whole box of those and use them for all kinds of stuff too.
I like that shot of your truck, but what's the story on that v. cool Ferd COE?
moT
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

That photo was taken outside the Main Camp entrance of the Oregon Country Fair a day or two after the 1982 event.

The cab-over Ford is known as 'The Peach Truck'. It's fitted with a 1,000 gallon tank and a 10 HP gasoline-powered pump and is used to water roads to keep the dust down and as an emergency fire truck.

The peach is the icon of the OCF, and there is a large one painted on the back of the truck's tank.