Tiny house on a trailer

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ol trunt

Re: Tiny house on a trailer

Post by ol trunt »

That is absolutely beautiful. Will you treat the copper or let it weather until it is that elegant grey green? Jack
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Jack, I'm just gonna let the copper do its thing 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Now you can scrap all your extra pieces for 3 bucks a pound or you can make up make all you roof clips that you have to buy anyway and I'm using these stainless ring nails to fasten the clips down. The roof calls for clips every 16" but I'm going to put them every 6" I'm having copper attachment blocks made up to attach the 4 pv solar panels right the standing seam roof so I want to make sure the roof is held down good
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

That looks incredible!!

Now....you just gotta give more detail..... I have helped install standing seam roof before, but they were preformed. What equipment (shear, brake, etc) is used? What gauge copper? Roll or sheet? I saw the stainless nails, so that question was answered.

Roof ridge? Guttering? Yeah, I know you haven't posted to that point yet, just impatient to see the whole thing....

The little V notch on your clips.... is that to get two nails into the clip without expansion/contraction issues of solid tab?
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

... nice ... I'm thinkin' copper sink, tub, shower pan ... heat shield for fireplace or stove ... probably over thinkin', huh? ... :D
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

10'x8' is a huge loft :D
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

GoodClue wrote:... nice ... I'm thinkin' copper sink, tub, shower pan ... heat shield for fireplace or stove ... probably over thinkin', huh? ... :D
I am thinking I might try and pound out a nice round copper bathroom sink but the shower is going to be a horse trough. There great and there 79 bucks :D
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Stealth Camper wrote:That looks incredible!!

Now....you just gotta give more detail..... I have helped install standing seam roof before, but they were preformed. What equipment (shear, brake, etc) is used? What gauge copper? Roll or sheet? I saw the stainless nails, so that question was answered.

Roof ridge? Guttering? Yeah, I know you haven't posted to that point yet, just impatient to see the whole thing....

The little V notch on your clips.... is that to get two nails into the clip without expansion/contraction issues of solid tab?
I will post details as I go. Mind you I've "never" done a standing seam roof :D no kidding. But as my mom's says "Den, your not getting any younger" I love my mom's 8)
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Yeah....I feel your "pain" about not getting any younger!

Kinda 'cold' to point it out, though....

That roof is gonna look so good....I put green metal on my roof... now having copper envy!!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I got sidetracked a little yesterday (my daddy alarm went off) so I put on my tights and cape and flew over to my daughter's place to help her more the couch but today i got the last part of the ridge up and all the rafters cut for the loft/darmers 8)
So tomorrow I should get the rafters up and finish up the plywood
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

It depends what day I look at it weather it looks BIG or small, today it looks BIG and I'm still 4" below the height limit 8) Image
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Cedar corner boards glued with west system epoxy and screwed with 1 5/8" stainless finish screws
All cedar will get a good coat of this here stuff on all sides before it's installed
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

So I just circulated the weight of the trailer lumber, windows, copper roof panels, ice and water shield and tar paper and I'm doing pretty good with weight. The trailer is rated at 14,000 lb's and I'm at about 7729 lbs so far so. The red cedar is very light and the 4 batteries are about 100 lbs each, the inverter is is about 100 lbs. Fridge and stove so we'll see. I'm not intending to haul it around like a camper but I'll need it to handle well when on the highway. I was talking to the trailer guy today about the next one and I think I'll go with 3/7000 lb axles with brakes instead of just two. All and all its been a fun project/learning curve which was pretty much the whole point };o)
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

It's comin together
It looks a little boxy but I think/hope it will take on a much nicer look when the Windows go in
Red cedar exterior window casings
A biscuit, west system epoxy and 2 pocket screws in each corner and I rabbited out the inside so the frames sit nice around the window flanges
Peace along the way
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

I'm loving it, Dennis. Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm deep into my reskin project and, oh yes, the steel sheet was back ordered. Again. Truck arrived yesterday with all the tubing and the bar stock, but no sheet. Supposed to get that on Tuesday. We'll see.

Looks like a fine tiny house.