1935 Chevy school bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ol trunt

Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. I'm proving hard to kill as my recovery from quad bipass surgery is coming along well. I've made it through the first thirty days which now "qualifies" me for another ten years @ 97% actuarial. As soon after surgery as possible I set myself up on a recovery schedule as if it were a job. I "work" from 9 to 5 every day running through my recovery exercises etc and I see good progress. I'm not quite ready to start pulling wrenches yet but today marked a banner day as I'm now able to pull on a pocketed "T "shirt (my life long uniform) rather than the loose fitting Hawaiian shirts I've been having to wear.

My first bus related project will be to relocate the oil fill plug on the top of the engine cover. The way it is presently set up I have to remove the entire air cleaner assembly back to the turbo just to ad oil--a real PITA. It should just be a tig cut and paste job and I don't know why I've waited this long.

It's going to take more than a bit of cancer and a few blocked arteries to pull this dog out of the fight. Jack

You can see the oil filler cap straight down from the wing nut on the air cleaner.

Image.

Image.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

ol trunt wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:23 am Hello All. I'm proving hard to kill as my recovery from quad bipass surgery is coming along well. I've made it through the first thirty days which now "qualifies" me for another ten years @ 97% actuarial. As soon after surgery as possible I set myself up on a recovery schedule as if it were a job. I "work" from 9 to 5 every day running through my recovery exercises etc and I see good progress. I'm not quite ready to start pulling wrenches yet but today marked a banner day as I'm now able to pull on a pocketed "T "shirt (my life long uniform) rather than the loose fitting Hawaiian shirts I've been having to wear.

My first bus related project will be to relocate the oil fill plug on the top of the engine cover. The way it is presently set up I have to remove the entire air cleaner assembly back to the turbo just to ad oil--a real PITA. It should just be a tig cut and paste job and I don't know why I've waited this long.

It's going to take more than a bit of cancer and a few blocked arteries to pull this dog out of the fight. Jack

You can see the oil filler cap straight down from the wing nut on the air cleaner.

Good to see you are back kicking around! Was getting kinda lonely around here with no one to talk to...lol. You should be ticking along nicely now! If you get bored, I have some farm chores that would be great exercise for recovery!!

Oil fill does look like a huge PITA!! Gonna drill another spot and make a new hole??

We are emerging from the end of tunnel for my wife! And that light at the end wasn't even a freight train!! Who would ever thought we would be so glad for one of us to have a heart attack! On Halloween! After 3 days of pain, she finally agreed to go to ER where they found she was in extremely severe AFIB. They were able to get that under control in a day and a half, before having a stroke, but during the process they found a lump. Turned out to be cancer. She finally had surgery two weeks ago - took forever to move on this due to the logjam in the hospitals here. At one point they were making arrangements to move her 150 mi to Okla City. Someone probably died that Sunday evening, though, freeing up a room. Radiation to start in a couple weeks along with some kind of pill that is chemo but not chemo, they say. We will see. Very happy right now but anxious for next two months.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

I can't imagine how hard all that is for you but I expect my wife can. I don't think we old sickies have near as much to worry about other than recovery. My wife looked at me the other day and said "January sure has been a long month" and I saw the worry lines on her face.

Take care of each other as best you can and look to the day you can actually exit the tunnel. We'll both hold a thought for both of you. Jack
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

ol trunt wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:02 pm I can't imagine how hard all that is for you but I expect my wife can. I don't think we old sickies have near as much to worry about other than recovery. My wife looked at me the other day and said "January sure has been a long month" and I saw the worry lines on her face.

Take care of each other as best you can and look to the day you can actually exit the tunnel. We'll both hold a thought for both of you. Jack

Thinking of you too!

We have that "long month/year" discussion quite a bit. Not a great one to have! She is going through everything you are, just without mechanical intervention.

We both endeavor to persevere! Got out to the farm yesterday for a couple of hours! Great relief even though it was very tiring. Good to get out, though! Tonight we have rain starting, followed by sleet then snow. Up to 12" snow. Temp is 65 right now. 25 expected by morning. Going down to either +2 or -2 by Fri night, depending on particular forecaster. Too cold either way! I know I am gonna hate it!

One of the kids lives at Half Moon Bay, up by Frisco - said they had ice on the car windows this morning! Everyone was surprised. Even that is too cold!
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. A bit of an update.
Although this is not really about my bus it is related. You see, the bus has a toad and the toad has a tent trailer with a Powermate 2000 amp genny to run the frig and AC. It's sort of like a step sibling I guess. Anyway, the genny needed service.
Since I’m not supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds for the next 3 months I got some help lifting the genny onto a table so I could sit and work on it without busting a gut. The genny had been surging and choking and I had to run it with the choke nearly closed because it was too lean. I discovered (on UTUBE U ) that all the insides of my Powermate genny were built by Yamaha and exactly match the Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator. Yamaha built units for several other brands as well and apparently all the clones as well as the Yamaha fall prey to a plugged idle speed jet. The jet has 2 easily seen holes and a third of microscopic size that becomes invisible when plugged. The recommended cleaning tool is a single bristle from a stainless steel scrub brush--once you figure out you need it. 'Lil darling started on the first pull and purrs like a cat. My lifting helper is off on a train ride so unavailable to help me put the genny back on the trailer so I'll have to come up with a way to use a couple of come alongs and my floor jack to get it off the table and onto the trailer. I'll be glad when I'm able to lift more than 10 pounds--the genny only weighs 50 pounds and back when I'd have just bent over and lifted the thing and thought nothing of it. Still, it has been fun to have something to do with my hands!
A day later and the come alongs and floor jack worked just fine. Once I got the floor jack carrying the genny lined up with the trailer I soaped the path I planned to move the genny in and gave it a “less than 10 pound” shove and the genny was all set. Since wifey wasn’t home when I did all this I took pics to prove that I am keeping with doctors orders! Jack
Image.

Image.

Image.

Image.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Looks like fun! I have a couple of riding mowers that are gonna need that kind of attention soon. Kinda looking forward to warmer days soon! (We got 7" of snow - all of it gone two days later!)

Where are you keeping your pictures now? I see some still have the Photobucket logo while recent ones are clear....you must have moved somewhere!
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Photo fu--er--I mean bucket suddenly wanted a huge amount of money to post my up until then "free pics". Their way to convince me to pay 'em was to block all my free (as promised) pics. I said no to that and I guess lots of other folks said the same thing. Eventually photo bucket released most, but not all of my free pics but the damage was done.

Eventually I happened on https://postimages.org/ and have been using it now for some time. I think I see the writing on the wall of late--sort of like PB so we'll just have to see what happens. Jack
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

ol trunt wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:34 pm Photo fu--er--I mean bucket suddenly wanted a huge amount of money to post my up until then "free pics". Their way to convince me to pay 'em was to block all my free (as promised) pics. I said no to that and I guess lots of other folks said the same thing. Eventually photo bucket released most, but not all of my free pics but the damage was done.

Eventually I happened on https://postimages.org/ and have been using it now for some time. I think I see the writing on the wall of late--sort of like PB so we'll just have to see what happens. Jack
I found that out about fu bucket. There are watermarks on mine now and I get the "pay now or we kill your pictures" notice whenever I log on. Luckily, I only have a couple dozen to deal with and will replace them when I get a new hosting place. Have been looking around and I think I will have to break down and get a paid site. I have been looking at my old pics and there are a small handful that are actually pretty good and people I have shown want them, so maybe I can sell one or two to offset the cost. Also discovered that I have about 3 Tb of pics/vids and probably most of them are not worth keeping, so am purging fast and hard! I had forgotten how many times I clicked a shutter...geez! Note to self; Throw away the bad ones right when you take them!!!!

While traveling in the "way back machine" I also found some old quotable quotes that somewhere along the line I must have thought were funny or interesting - most have gone around before, but time for a "reunion tour". Gonna start sprinkling some of them around the interwebz just to see.... Starting here and now....

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Been a while since anyone said anything, so just checking in to see if there has been any progress/updates from Jack....

I gotta find a stable place to put my pics, so I can throw one or two up here from time to time. Hello to all! Pretty much that seems to be Jack and Sharkey right now. And Stuart. Hopefully we can hear from Dennis again soon. I am still curious about his last unknown tool post.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Been a while, so I am just gonna say Happy Holidays to everyone - the ones coming up! Looking forward to this year being done and gone and next year coming along and being better!!!

Today was our last day of summer, with late fall starting tomorrow with rain, drizzle, and much cooler weather! We got to make a fast trip to CA a couple weeks ago and it was perfection up in Modesto area! Lots of driving from Oklahoma to their, but then flew back and it went very fast!

We stopped at the Big Texan to check out the free 72 oz steak deal. No way either of us could do that, so settled for regular steak. Was not impressed - it is not good steak/food, but everyone should do that at least once, I guess. I did manage to get a very nice, very wide brim straw hat out of the deal though! At a good price, too! Not idea how that happened. Was interesting as carry on at the airplane! And we spent a LOT of money on a very little bit of chocolate at Ethel M's in the San Jose airport. It was pretty good.

Got home to 2 flat tires on the front of the tractor, so ordered new inner tubes that arrived yesterday. Tomorrow is tire day!

Sorry to steal your thread, Jack, but this is the most active one around right now.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. I'm happy to have anyone who wants to to use my--whatever this thing is called. Almost a year now after the quad and 2 months after a little finish up work removing scar tissue from the cancer surgery. I'm pleased to report that I can now pee like cow on a flat rock once again and no more UTI's. We'll celebrate Christmas in the bus at a local campground. We've managed to get out about once a month this year for 2 or 3 days and still look forward to it. We won't get out this month so I should finally get the new oil fill hole installed and do an oil change. Jack
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Yay! Survival!! And healing!! Good stuff!

We enjoyed our whirlwind trip from southern to northern CA. Would like to spend more time at several places. Would really like to go to Quartzite in Jan for the RTR and the Big Tent RV Show.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

We were lucky enough to go camping for Christmas. Weather was perfect and the campground was nearly empty so about as good as it gets.
Jack

Image.

Image.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

oltruntoltrunt
July 12
Hello all! A lot of water under the bridge. An old work injury as promised began to pay dividends. one of the carpel bones in my left wrist gave up the ghost leaving me with a painful and useless left hand, The old saw bones said he'd have to remove two adjacent bones and that I'd need physical therapy to recover 70% usage of my hand. He was right and I am now able to do much of what I used to do--so I (we) went camping.

Our trip to Sequoia was a great success. I made sure that both the bus and the toad had been given a through once over to hedge our bets. I checked all the fluids and belts and tested out each safety system including the proper operation of the Blue Ox brake buddy for the toad. I even inspected all the brake lines for leakage, rust and rot. Lorna insisted on testing the stove and oven—which I happily did looking forward to fresh apple pie!

The passage through California’s central valley was hot at 110 degrees bur fortunately no trouble came of it. As we headed East out of Visalia the temp dropped a bit and the open stands of California live oak came into view their dark green foliage a beautiful contrast to the now golden hue of the spring grasses. As we climbed up the mountain range we left the oaks behind in exchange for stands of pine and eventually a glimpse of Sequoias. With all our rain this year the forest was lush.

We were told that the park’s Northern entrance (the easy way in) was closed and that we would have to enter via the Southern entrance. That route is a steep hair pined route allowing only vehicles under 22 feet but fortunately no restrictions on trailers—besides, who would be dumb enough to haul a trailer anyway. The little bus is 22 ½ feet long so I figured we were good to go close enough. We went from near sea level to a bit over 7000 feet in about 35 miles at between 20 and 35 mph pulling to the side often to let the 40 mph speed freaks fully exercise their death wishes.

We set up camp in Azalia campground just a hike from Grant’s Grove and settled in. The day time temp was around 72 degrees with night temps about 50 degrees—perfect by my standards. Groups of deer wandered about nibbling on the low growing Manzanita as if we two- leggeds weren’t even there. It’s bear country though none were spotted. I nibbled on fresh apple pie.

Much to my relief the Northern entrance reopened though with makeshift solar powered stop lights at either end of one lane road sections. That route isn’t nearly as steep and windy as the other way and since it’s easy to overheat the bus brakes it made the trip back down to the valley much more pleasant.

The trip home included the semi killing “Grapevine” on hwy 99. Its about 20? Miles of freeway at an 8% grade and 100 degrees. My bus sports 205 HP and 450 ft lbs of torque from its 5.2 l turbo diesel—enough to haul both the bus and the 2700 pound toad up and over at more than 50MPH. Good enough for me. Total mpg for the trip was 14.2. Without the toad the mpg hovers at about 17. Jack

Image.

Image,

Image.

Image.

Image.

ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All! Happy new year. We are still out and about in Honeysuckle Rose. We spent Christmas in a small campground called Camp Comfort --which it was. Jack

Here is a picture of all our "animal" friends and our Christmas tree.