Thanksgiving Leftover Soup

The gastronomy section for all things food related.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I just put it in the crockpot. It may be ready in a few hours if I leave it on high.

The turkey and ham were already cooked

Two cups turkey

One cup ham

One potato sliced and halved

Six stalks celery sliced

One cup sliced carrots

Four cloves garlic diced

One quart chicken broth

One quart water

Two tablespoons salt

One tablespoon pepper

One teaspoon curry powder

One tablespoon rosemary

One tablespoon ground coffee

One teaspoon oregano

One bay leaf crushed

It smells great already. As always, you will get a photo and a report.
Last edited by Rudy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splummer

Post by splummer »

smell great rudy if you would be so kind e mail me a bowl thanks
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey, same here. If you email me a bowl of Thanksgiving soup I'll email you a small loaf of woodshop cracked wheat bread with rolled oats on top. This stuff is pretty good. It's a little pricey at $3.00 a box but the flavor and texture is realy good. A box of this mix and a 12 oz can of selzer and about 50 minutes or so in the CD / can cubbard / oven :D and you got nice warm home made bread.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

The soup took 5 hours to cook on high (because of the potatoes). The carrots were done in four hours. Of course, the ham and turkey were leftovers, so they were already cooked. I would send you both some soup, but I don't think it would make it through the US mail successfully. Dennis, That bread looks real good. I ate the soup last night and again this morning. Yum Yum. It tastes as good as something my mother would have made, just a little spicier. She never really got adventurous with spices. Here are a couple of photos. Perhaps you can smell it if you put your nose close to the speakers of your computer.

Last edited by Rudy on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, Two questions. What is that weird looking (rubber?) thing to the left of the package of bread mix that you are holding? Also, what is that brown thing on the plate to the left of the eggs? Rudy
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

The ( rubber? ) thing is my Air-X wind turbine. Im geting it ready to hook it up to the solar trailer for the winter. It's only a 400 watt generator but it really picks up to slack from the short winter solar days. The brown thing. Ahh yes, The brown thing. The brown thing is a stack of 4 slices of the prince of canned meats "SPAM" Spam is 1 or 2 steps up from "Scrapple" You must know of "Srapple" I love that cr*p fried with eggs but it can't possible be good for you. I always keep a couple of cans of spam around just incase I don't have any defrosted bacon or sausages for brakefast. The thing about spam is, you can over cook it, you can under cook it or you don't have to cook it at all and it's just a bad for you and it taste just as good :D It's the "Prince of canned meat" :P
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
splummer

Post by splummer »

thank you dennis, not sure if you were defending spam but close enough, i happen to like spam,its one of those things you cant kill , i eat it with eggs all the time and i eat spam sandwiches with hot mustard and garlic salt and a little red pepper
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Looooove, the spam :D Spam doesn’t get the credit it deserves :shock:
Peace along the way
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, I always liked Spam. I bought two cans today. I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I think I will brown it in my roaster device and make a soup with it. As you can tell, I pretty much just eat soups. Why?, You may ask. It is because I have a Muscular Dystrophy problem. I have a hard time swallowing food. I had to give up peanut butter (which I love). This problem is something I inherited. Also my eyelids are drooping and will continue to do so.

At least my ears still work well!!! Rudy
splummer

Post by splummer »

spam sandwhichs are great hot musturd and garlic
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Looks yummy and I swear I could smell the ham Rudy

Dennis, real Scrapple is something I can make properly if someone will kindly find me a pigs head.

Dad taught me how to make it and it comes out like a mild Spam
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Scrapple. Now theres another block of meat type stuff that doesn't get the credit it should get :wink:
Peace along the way
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

I love making Scrapple, but have trouble getting pig heads because my friends who raise pigs always forget to have them saved for me, will try a different friend this year and see if I get one.

Dad used a veal head too, but it wasn't as tasty, Scrapple with sage and onion was Dad's usual mix and if it wouldn't set up he added knox gelatine.

And Dennis, I even like pickled pigs feet! I am a REAL old-fashioned girl and love making the old dishes.

Take Care
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Can't do it anymore.

I grew up eating ALOT of Spam. Spam Loaf, fried Spam, mostly diced in Mac n Cheese. My parents and grandparents also ate a lot of Head Cheese, too.

Sooooo, about a month before my mom passed away, she was having a hard time wanting to eat anything so I would try to fix most of her favorite foods in hope it would get her to eat. Anyway, I was going to make her a fried Spam sandwich. When I opened the can and went to slice the Spam...

What I saw in that Spam that day FOREVER ruined me from eating Spam ever again. Image
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

ezrablu wrote:Can't do it anymore.

I grew up eating ALOT of Spam. Spam Loaf, fried Spam, mostly diced in Mac n Cheese. My parents and grandparents also ate a lot of Head Cheese, too.

Sooooo, about a month before my mom passed away, she was having a hard time wanting to eat anything so I would try to fix most of her favorite foods in hope it would get her to eat. Anyway, I was going to make her a fried Spam sandwich. When I opened the can and went to slice the Spam...

What I saw in that Spam that day FOREVER ruined me from eating Spam ever again. Image
Do tell :wink:
Peace along the way