Fixin' the Rumley....

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

William Biffwinkle

Fixin' the Rumley....

Post by William Biffwinkle »

I have a friend here in town that works on old antique tractors. he has a Rumley oil pull (1926) and a Huber (same era) that he shows in parades, fairs etc. All at his own expense.

I decided that since his appreciation of history can get costly, i'd help him out when I can........My first fix was to make a float for his float bowl on the Huber (can't buy parts any more :wink: ) it worked well.

The next was when the Rumley broke a timing gear....we decided that an aluminum replacement gear would work. We could not even order a blank in this particular modual so we would have to machine it from billet.....

Just finished running it on the cnc....next is tapping it after a quick inspection to make sure it's right
You cannot make a sow's ear out of a silk purse either.....but has anyone really tried to do both?

now heer in biffwinkleville we make deep fried DEEserts outa sows ears......an thayr ain't nuthin' stoopider lookin' than'n earless pig....
William Biffwinkle

time to check it to the original....

Well, I got real lucky. I had to down load a free plugin for my cad software to draw this thing. Since I did not know the pitch diameter I worked off the od and kept playing with the pitch diameter in the program till the two od's matched. It worked.....but it could have been a scrap also because I made some assumptions on pressure angle etc.....
You cannot make a sow's ear out of a silk purse either.....but has anyone really tried to do both?

now heer in biffwinkleville we make deep fried DEEserts outa sows ears......an thayr ain't nuthin' stoopider lookin' than'n earless pig....
William Biffwinkle

I designed the hub with two flats on it so I could hold it for other operations. It was easy to get the keyway at top dead center!

William Biffwinkle

After drilling I used a spring loaded center to keep the tap running true to the hole.

William Biffwinkle

Nice....it is back in the gearbox and seems to turn just fine.

another view....the pressure angles seem to touch at the right place. Arvid (the tractor owner) had to weld and file one tooth on the big gear. It turned out nice. this lubes by splashing oil up on the gears....

William Biffwinkle

Arv and my boys getting photographed for my "bragging rights photo" :D

William Biffwinkle

Now for the finale....what does the old girl look like? just as pretty as they get......

William Biffwinkle

You can't belive how nice she sounds! It's musical to hear and those big pistons are moving a lot of air!

On the other side there is a big spool for running a flat belt. he has an antique thresher and will be threshing wheat this summer for two different centennials...(one is our town) the thresher runs off the flat belt. getting them positioned correctly is an art. He's a real mechanical guy and seems to love doing this stuff......make's for great history lessons!

Oh...the solid rubber tires were adapted to those rims by Arv....those rims had steel cleats bolted on (don't know the correct name for 'em) that crossed the outside of the rim at an angle....great for traction in sod...not so good for asphalt. So he made n 'tires"...very clever how it was done...works good too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUgUTyf ... re=related

here's one working. Notice the steel wheels. bustin' up the ground pretty good! and listen to that nice chug-chug-chug.....i suppose after 12 hrs it would get tiring... :wink: The awning over Arv's 'cab" is original...wood and all...if yer gonna stand there all day might as well not die of sunstroke... :lol:
Last edited by William Biffwinkle on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

William Biffwinkle

Well, that's it for this project....time to celebrate with a nice sandwich from the Gildford Mercantile!!

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Cool pics Ted.
You do good work.

Chuck
William Biffwinkle

Thanks....didja see the samwich!!!

GoodClue

Machine work ...

Post by GoodClue »

Beautiful work William ... I wouldn't have thought of aluminum ...
We'll all be sending you our machining issues from now on ... :wink:

Hope Chuck makes it to Montana ... hope we all do, someday ... I used to spend my time in the Red Lodge area ... both fond and sad memories ...

GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

William Biffwinkle wrote:Image

Well, that's it for this project....time to celebrate with a nice sandwich from the Gildford Mercantile!!
You forgot something. :D
Last edited by Jones'n4chrome on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Biffwinkle

Hey...quit yellin' at me!!!!!

William Biffwinkle

Thanks Goodclue.

I wouldn't use aluminum except it is a timing gear with very little load. had it been one of the gears running the flat belt it would be steel.

The machining time would be very long in steel..... :shock: