1990 CROWN COACH: JUST CALL ME MOKI

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

mokibrabrant

1990 CROWN COACH: JUST CALL ME MOKI

Post by mokibrabrant »

Well I have returned to the friendly warmth of Mr. Sharkey. It's been a long time: I have tried to make headway on other forums, which will remain fodder for your speculation. I kind of wandered around here a bit just to see what was going on...........This site simply has a good vibe. That's how we Bus Dudes kind of refer to it isn't it? I won't editorialize further on the subject, but being that I am owned by this Crown, I thought well, there would be really thoughtful, knowledgeable people: Well there it is: I thought. And by the time that thought traversed the impoverished expanse of my thinking, well it was Sunday and I was still waiting for that call from last Friday. And then I posted, and sometimes it would appear about a week after the topic had perished. Or it wasn't posted at all. And my knee's were getting bloody from the pews, and my head was beginning to Bow from the weight of not having any weight. And Capricious Whim gave way to indolence and help was a four letter word: or worse a sentiment withheld in direct relation to the desperate desire for it...........You guys follow?

Anyway, I remember coming here right after I purchased Moki on Ebay, that must have been around November of 09. Well April 7 of 2010 I laid my eyes upon Moki, I opened hatches, turned on isolators, heard the hum of that Cummings 855, I heard the warning lights, watched the Ridewell air up and hold, the Coach boldly Rise from what appeared to be a slumber. I opened air doors, and walked on pristine floors, I heard the silent smooth whisper of windows moving up and down. I was in Moki Heaven, and I hadn't even driven her a foot.

When my eyes laid upon Moki they were eyes of weary anticipation. What will happen. Anything at all. I had arrived in Bellingham, WA It was 2:30 am, it was freezing cold. I had flown into Seattle from Hawaii, and then taken a two and a half hour charter to Bellingham. Checked into a local Hotel. First thing in the morning, well really about 11:00, I won't like, I bundled myself up, headed across the street to Fred Meyers and bought myself a Warm, Warm Coat. Now I was good to go. Bought a Pizza at Ceasers, A couple of beers, and not so bravely went back to the Hotel. Decided to chill for the Day....and work out the Logistics of getting to Moki the Next Day....Man it was Cold. I ain't lying, I did not want to go out there.

So I'll cut to the Chase. Moki started on the second turn of the starting motor. I let her air up. Shut her down. Went about checking all the fluids, just like I did back in the day, when I was a Young'n, and worked for Taylor bus in Orange County, Calif. It all came back to me: I walked the aisle to see if the seats were secure. Checked the tires. TooK the air down to 60lbs till the warning lights blared, and the sirens moaned......and watched air build to the explosive gasp of the governor...No smoke at all after the initial start-up. And I was on my way South..................So I'll close by saying this, and see if some of my photo's and commentary will show up so you can just check that out.

This Coach Exceeded my expectations in every possible way: From the fit and finish, to the performance, through some pretty significant tests. The Grapevine, Grant's Pass...........the desert with Sandstorms and 80 mile gusts...........where Angels fear to tread...............Bravely, flawlessly, inexorably went Moki..............so all for now....You'll be back at me, and I you............Hi Guys and Gals...............Moki

http://mokibra.picturepush.com/showform ... clid=37316 http://mokibra.picturepush.com/showform ... clid=37316 http://mokibra.picturepush.com/showform ... clid=37316 http://mokibra.picturepush.com/showform ... clid=37316

Hope this works: I went through a lot of effort to get these here, hope it works.................Aloha
Last edited by mokibrabrant on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

I went through a lot that I could get these photo's and comments on in something of and orderly fashion. One day someone will take me by the hand and tell me how to get an actual photo on this site............so now that I'm kind of Salty...........I'll see if I can put a slide show right here.

http://picturepush.com/site_publish.php ... &format=64
Last edited by mokibrabrant on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

I went through a lot that I could get these photo's and comments on in something of and orderly fashion. One day someone will take me by the hand and tell me how to get an actual photo on this site............so now that I'm kind of Salty...........I'll see if I can put a slide show right here.

http://picturepush.com/site_publish.php ... &format=64
mokibrabrant

SEE HOW RELENTLESS I CAN BE........................???????

Post by mokibrabrant »

I went through and edited all, to where they are at least active links.............Maybe it's cause Mr. Sharkey hasn't bestowed the power, though I do wear one very nice Crown, to post actual Photographs.........If you use the link in the previous post to this one, it will take you to a slide show.....Watch the slide show, and then click on the photo. It will take you to a larger rendition of the photo, with the comment applicable to when taken: should also enlarge the photo............Only if you want to............I intentionally have made this a right of passage......only the worthy shall endure...........Or.........Perhaps I've simply over-complicated things once again because I'm sure no one is as smart as I am....Huh? duh?(':D').................Oh and then on the other side of the room there's(':x').....The guy sitting next him just had another drink:(':shock:')
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here are the four photos from the above post. I used TinyPic to resize them to 640X480 (for forums). Then I uploaded them and then got the http code which I posted to this thread. I then pressed Preview to see the pics. After seeing that they were there, I pressed Submit and here they are.

Got love? Give love.
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

('8)') Rudy many Mahalo's. Staid and true.........It's 2:30 am............I will revisit your post when I am more lucid..........That might just be a way of saying I'll never read your post again.....as lucidity is often evasive. At least in the instance at hand........But thanks much.

Here's another little slide show I put together that document my return to Gresham, Oregon. Where I had a chance to breathe the Air, and just tend to being the Driver,Visitor, and appreciator of the Rubber clad locomotive I call me Crown. So I'll leave you with another spastic link..........and head off for the Bed. Seriously thanks for your efforts...........Good Morning......Moki

http://mokibra.picturepush.com/site_pub ... format=64c
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here are some pictures extracted from the first slide show link posted above.

Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I am not able to get the slide show pics any larger. Here are some more.

Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Moki, the second slide show pics were the same as the first. I posted all the pics.
Your command of adjectives and verbs is commendable. I do hope that you read through my 1973 Blue Bird thread.
Thanks for posting on this site. Rudy.
Got love? Give love.
Joe Camper

Post by Joe Camper »

Rudy you convert entertainer coaches in your day job?

What converter is it?
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Joe, I did bus conversions for over eight years here in Tennessee. I have many photos of my work. I did all the solid surface work. I will post them in the future. I would rather not mention the name of the place where I worked. Why do you ask?
Got love? Give love.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Moki,
That's a nice looking bus. You got some lovely photos also. Glad things worked out for you and you had a lovely trip. Are you back at home now?
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Moki you have one of the nicest Crowns I have ever seen.

It appears as if it has been kept undercover--the paint is still real shiny and there is no evidence of rust around the rear emergency exit frame.

Which school district purchased it new?
mokibrabrant

Post by mokibrabrant »

Thank you for the compliment on my Coach Granny: I see you live in Central Oregon: You wouldn't be asking if "I am at home now" just so you could slither on over and take Moki for a little joy ride now would you?(':shock:')(':twisted:') And Rudy I did do as you advised, and went through the entirety of your posts with regard the Transformation of your Bluebird. Considering the Earliest photo's, and realizing the labor involved: One Hell of a Job my Brother. Even though your rustic tastes smack of that Down Home Alabama flavor, of course, with a Tennessean Twist(':D') I am nonetheless very impressed with your woodworking skills and cabinetry. And would have no qualms with you laying wood to my Crown. Great Wood work. And those chromed Exhaust "stingers" out the back are simply way over the Top. You might have considered running those up through the floor at the rear, right through the interior, and probably could have resolved your heating issues in one fell swoop. :lol: (':lol:') God knows those stacks would have given considerable radiant heat for about an hour and a half after even a short drive.

Again, thanks for your "conversion" of my photo's as well........you are one of the good guys. So aloha for the time being, I'll come back as time permits and fill in some of the Holes and elaborate on the Flawless Nature of this Crown. I have come to learn, that the 40ft two axle Crown is a fairly rare configuration, and rarer still with the Cummings NT855..I guess I lucked out big time with Moki.......One year away from being the latest of the Great Original Crowns.............
Granny

Post by Granny »

:shock: Me, want to sneak over and take your crown for a joy ride, :twisted: Never! :D First off, I haven't a clue where you have it kept at, how could I get to it? Okay, yes I like the looks of the Crowns! Why, did you leave the keys in Moki for me? That could be a dangerous temptation. However, Chuck and Mr. Breeze both leave the keys in their Crowns for me, and I haven't made it to take either of theirs for a joy ride yet. 8) I guess maybe I'm a little more "honest" about things than I let on :x .
I didn't know whether to wish you well on the rest of your trip, or to let you know how glad I was you "had" a good trip. :wink: