Burning Man Festival

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Joe Camper

Burning Man Festival

Post by Joe Camper »

Anyone going to this this year?

I have the opportunity to drive a bus out for a fellow who is going but does not have time to drive his camper.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

The "new" one is still on the "someday" list. I joined one of the first BM's on Baker Beach in San Francisco long time ago. Really liked it - run naked into the surf then toast your marsh mellows as the big guy burns. I think we had all a huge crowd of about 150 people!

Rufus
Joe Camper

Post by Joe Camper »

I think I would prefer the beach to the middle of the desert.
Joe Camper

Post by Joe Camper »

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I've been avoiding commenting on this topic simply because I don't feel like I have the time or energy to post everything I feel about the "festival". The blog topic link above is just a start, there's tons more to not like about the current version of what started as a small gathering of friends on the beach in the Bay Area.

I've never attended, but know people who go as if it was a religious pilgrimage. Their photos and descriptions are more than enough to let me know that I'd hate it there.

For several years, I held the "Anti-Burning Man Non-Festival" (also known as "Extinguished Man") by driving my Housetruck up the McKenzie River to Belknap Hot Springs and Resort, and renting an RV spot for the weekend of BM. While my friends were getting their skin burned off in the Black Rock desert, I was soaking in hot mineral water, knocking back mixed drinks, and listening to the river meander by outside my bedroom window. All of this for $18 a night plus 120 miles of driving (round trip).

When my friends got back, they were burned out, boggled, sunburned, and everything that they took with them was crusted with a thick coating of playa dust, a strong alkali clay that never really can be removed.

I stopped being fascinated by off-center people acting out years ago. There may be some fanciful art displays at BM, but I can't see that it's worth the brain damage to experience. That and I don't consider such gatherings to be in the best interest of a sustainable lifestyle.

Visit the desert? Sure, some time when 50,000 freaks are back in their cities being cogs in their particular wheels.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Sounds like we got the "Anti-Burning Man Non-Festival" as a new destination - maybe next year!! This could be big!

Maybe a "Vintage Vacations", Craig Dorsey style festival with house trucks and buses instead of vintage trailers...

Or maybe we can just keep getting together here at the Forum.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Sharkey,

I like your style.

Chuck
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Ye know, Sharkey's take reminds me of how I felt about the carnivals that came into town; and also Coney Island, Riverview (Chicago) and other such places. I've sort of come to the conclusion that most people need a sanctioned event/location to blow off steam and act out as jerks, fools and idiots. They can't just go out and do it, cuz they'd get into trouble but way more important, they'd not be part of something big and sanctioned (by gurus, popularity and media) and they wouldn't be part of a big mob. I think it must be the same thing human thing that sucks people into lynch mobs and rock concerts and soccer games. <g>

Came the conclusion that "better there than any closer...". And I guess quite a few people have looked the situation over and decided to go make money on it.

Rufus
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

You can read all about it on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Man

Originally started as a small ceremony on the beach, it grew until it was necessary to move it to the desert. Once there, it continued to grow and became a "rules-free" zone, anything goes. Of course, the influx of people acting nutty (and stupid) ruined that pretty quickly, so now it seems as restricted as any other large public event, lots of regulation, requirements and a large staff to tell you so.

Some notes:

My friend Clif attends every year. Some of his stories include having a rocket car pass within a few feet of his camp while travelling in excess of 400 MPH. Another involved the death of some attendees who thought it was pretty cool to put a brick on the accelerator pedal of their van, then climb onto the roof and ride it around like a big skateboard. That worked pretty well until someone coming the other direction doing the same thing got in their way. (There are so many miles of flat, unobstructed desert in every direction, that such activities are actually possible).

Rumor has it that for a while, after the event started selling tickets, each one was printed on the back with the message that "Death does not qualify the holder of this ticket to a refund".

Clif spends months preparing for the event (he supplies WiFi and IP connectivity), sends several trucks and trailers full of gear to the desert, and flies himself in in a rented aircraft for the actual event.

Once again, I'm protesting by staying home and soaking in my solar-heated hot tub. Ahhh, quiet, cool breezes, and no rocket cars to disturb my day. What more could you ask for?
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I like Sharkey's idea.

People look for the next new interest and then just "do it to death".

Sturgis used to be a quaint little 25,000 people get together to have bike hill races, bike drag races, and bike demolition derby. Good stuff. Now, 500,000 per year - it just loses everything in the translation. Haven't been back in years and likely won't.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

This kind of thing seems to indicate that a WHOLE lot of people just REALLY want to have something communal to do with themselves and their toys - like some kind of primal lemming urge. Can't say I don't know something of where they're at but man the end sure doesn't resemble the beginning and it gets kinda spooky the way the mob just swells up and sweeps in and obliterates all in it's path.

Oh well. Might as well just wonder why 9 out of 10 teen age boys are crazy jerks from the age of 14 thru 23. <g>

Rufus
dburt

Post by dburt »

Most sheep, er- people like to stay with the herd, and do what the rest of the herd is doing. And then they tend to do it to death, wear it out and then wear it out some more. Sharkey is spot on, could not have said it better myself. Every time something cool and unique comes along, too many people tend to ruin it over time. If you know of a good thing, be careful who you share it with.