Hi, new guy here...

Just want to say hello or leave a quick comment?

Moderator: TMAX

Stan

Hi, new guy here...

Post by Stan »

Mr Sharkey's Guest Book looked a little lonely, so I thought I'd break the glass by posting a hello. :wink:

My exposure to Mr Sharkey dates from just Y2K. In the spring of 2000 my wife and I hooked up to the internet for the first time and immediately searched for information to help improve our home-converted '66 GMC-Superior bus. In a sense then, MrSharkey.com was very nearly the first website I visited, and was the very first I added to my Favorites! :D

We still haven't redone the bus, but are planning to move it up to the front burner after I retire next May. In the meantime, I occasionally drop by to see if Sharkey has added anything new on the website. 8)

I share another interest with Mr Sharkey -- VW diesels. I bought my first one in 1981 (a left over 1980 demo car), and am now on my 4th. I'm also converting a 1984 GTI race car to TD power to race with NASA and SCCA. Mr Sharkey knows me on a couple of other forums as "VWRacer"... :P

I am confident this forum will grow strongly and positively, and I'm happy I found it early. [Pretty cool having a single-digit member number! :lol: ]

Take care!
Stan Clayton
PASO

Post by PASO »

Hi Stan Is that the inside hand rail on the roof of your Bus??? cool Idea if it is I have a 68 TDH 5303 Fish bowl I'm considering converting. I'm hoping to find some Highway gearing before deciding.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Yep, they sure are the inside hand rails! :D

I agree that highway gearing is important for more comfortable freeway driving. My bus is geared for 55 mph at the engine's max continuous RPM, and does about 63 at red line. That would be too slow if I didn't normally tow a 24' enclosed race car trailer (I live in California where tow vehicles are limited to 55). I have often considered lowering the ratio by 10%-15% to drop RPMs or travel faster without the trailer, but so far have not.

Big decision! :lol:
Stan Clayton
PASO

Post by PASO »

I finally re found this web site. I knew I posted a comment about your roof rail but could not find it. I too am a VW "collector " I have a 67 Ghia at 79 Westphilia a 79 Van a 74 thing a 62 single cab and my son has a 63 23 window. some on the road some in storage. Ghia on a rotiserie. Must be a common thing to like Vw's and Buses :)