Eeeeewwwww....another newbie!!!

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Patrick46

Eeeeewwwww....another newbie!!!

Post by Patrick46 »

Hi all, I'm Patrick from the Oregon Coastline.

I'm a stepvan junkee. I've owned 6 of 'em, and I'm getting ready to scoop up #7. but in the meantime, I drive a groovy 1950 Chevy Panel Truck Hot-rod.
http://img827.imageshack.us/i/paneltruck3.png/

(I waz living in a stepvan back in '83 when I met my wife. You shouldda seen the look on her father's face when I came pulling in with THAT thing!!!! :shock: :D Hahaha)

I'm a sign & graphics guy, and I run my own shop out here, called Artworks Unlimited. It's a full service shop, and I also build hot-rods & choppers, and will probably buiild a few teardrop trailers before too long as well. (we had onna those too)
oh, here's my website if ya wanna look..... www.artworks-unlimited.com (my site hasn't been updated in 6 years :oops: )

I know Sharkey from working at OCF (I was on the sign crew), and I also know Roger Beck, as I contributed some photos and did most of the illustrations that are in his book.

I'm gonna keep this intro short as I need to get back to work, but I've got a bunch of neat photos to show y'alls, and some stories to tell of bombing around in my breadtrucks. (Union City's rule!!) :D

It's nice to finally log in here. 8)
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Patrick, welcome to the forum. Sorry for the underwhelming reception to your introduction. My excuse is that I've been working walls-to-the-ball for the last week and then some. Not likely to lighten up for the rest of the month, but that's life when you have to work, I guess.

Enjoy your stay, post often!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Patrick, I received Roger's book in a trade with Fred. It is a wonderful collection. It is nice to have you on board. Stepvans are the ultimate in stealth campers. I have seen many creative applications.
Got love? Give love.
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

Rudy wrote: Stepvans are the ultimate in stealth campers. I have seen many creative applications.

Yep. Like they say..."they're more fun than 3 Volkswagons!!" :D
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Welcome Patrick.

You got info on your vans and experiences posted somewhere particular? I'm considering a step van next year or so. Almost got one last June but at the time I was headed out SF to Chicago in a month and didn't have a good work or storage situation set up. And it was a little larger than I hoped. Sorry to let it pass, but as it turned out it was a good thing I did.

So far, I'm looking for a diesel, 10' or 12' bed, singles on the rear and barn doors at the back. Probably pretty old cuz that's what I can afford, though it looks like in the earlier trucks you got at least a 50x50 chance of getting widow maker rims.

Cheers, Rufus
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

Hiya Rufus...oh, and hiya Rudy too!!

Well Rufus...that all depends on how much $$$ you've got to work with (like it always does).

A few things I'd keep in mind when looking for a steppie (haha...I just came up with that name!!) :roll:

I've had both steel & aluminum ones, and I'll never own a steel one again!! Not only will you have the rust issue to deal with, but they also weigh alot more = more gas useage (or fuel consumption.)

My last one was almost the perfect stepvan...(the one in my avatar).
It had a great running 350 Chev, it waz a Union City (my all time favorite brand), and it was aluminum.

Yes, you may get a bit of electrolysis to deal with...but generally speaking...unlike rust, once you treat it, it doesn't come back!! My steel vans were TERRIBLE for rust!!

Lessee....as far as a truck with 'widowmaker' rims on it...those have been gones since the late 60's and early 70's...and I wouldn't want one quite that old anyway.

The one I'm getting is a '77 Union City, aluminum of course, it's a light 1-ton so it has super singles on the back, and not dually's...so it should be easier on gas. And it IS gas...another 350, with a 4 speed manual, but one thats rigged to run on propane...(this will be a new experience...but I'm optimistic that it'll be a good thing. anybody got any experiences with these things they'd care to share??)
If this engine ever goes to crap on me, I'm gonna switch it out with an engine and auto tranny from a Isuzu 5.2 4cyl turbo diesel truck. (great fuel mileage + awesome pulling power)
It's not a big stepvan either. I think it's 11 feet from the back of the driver's seat to the back wall. (my last one was 14')

Another thing I really dig about stepvans, is that they're FUN to drive!! You've got maximum visibility, and as these things are mostly designed for inner city deliverys...they have super tight turning radiuses. They turn like forklifts!! And as their center of gravity is so low...they handle like a sportscar! They don't do the leaning thing that busses do on corners.

If you've never had a real chance to ride in one, I'd find someone who has one and have them take you out for a ride. I swear...you'll never go back!!

All the best!
dburt

Post by dburt »

Hey Pat46, when are you going to flame that Chevy stepvan?! I visited you site and I like your work! If I could do that kind of work, everything I had would be flamed and lettered and painted up pretty! Welcome to the site!
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

dburt wrote:Hey Pat46, when are you going to flame that Chevy stepvan?! I visited you site and I like your work! If I could do that kind of work, everything I had would be flamed and lettered and painted up pretty! Welcome to the site!
Hi Dburt!
Well...did you check out my panel truck on my first post?? It's covered from bumper to bumper with artwork...and so is my wife's pickup. It's got hybiscus flowers & tribal graphix all over it!! :shock:

My stepvan is gonna have some artwork on it, but it's going to be done in a very 'subdued' way.

After 30 years of doing this, I've gotten alittle burned out on the work it requires, & the attention it brings.

Everybody says..."how can you sell your panel truck...it's got you written all over it!!" Well, trust me...whatever I drive, will have me written all over it!! :D

Thankyou for the kind words though! 8)

oh....and it IS Patrick...please.