Hello, thanks, and IH Metro-Mite

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Standaddy

Hello, thanks, and IH Metro-Mite

Post by Standaddy »

Hi,
Fust things fust. Don't remember how I found this site, probably 4 or 5 years ago, but love what I've found here. I've never lived in a mobile way except for the 5 years I drove a truck. I figger living in a truck with a 63" sleeper qualifies somewhat.
Thanks to Sharkey for the time and effort put into this site, and thanks to all who have posted their experiences as well. I think I've finally read just about everything on the site, and find lots of common ground with most of you. The do-it-yourself way, and everything doesn't have to comform to most folks idea of "normal" suits me well. Having said that, I'm somewhat sorry to admit that most of my life has been all to much "normal".
Gotta tell somebody, and you folks just happen to be lucky today. I just bought (on fleabay) a 1955 International Metro-Mite delivery truck that was converted into a motorhome (man, that word just doesn't seem to fit this truck for some reason!) in 1962. Haven't gotten it home yet, but can't wait. Probably haul it home next weekend, since it's got brake problems. Best I can tell from the pics, the conversion was done by somebody with carpentry skills about on par with my own, which means somewhere south of pretty. Also seems to be a bit wasteful of space, which is at a premium in the 17' overall length. Anyway, I'll get pics posted as soon as I can.
Oh yeah, not planning on living fulltime in the Mite yet. Just 'till Wifey cools off enough to let me back in the house.
dburt

Post by dburt »

We look forward to pictures, and more of the overall story line as it unfolds. If you don't post any more info or pics, we will assume the wife probably let you have it between the eyes with a 12 guage or some such big cannon for buying such an animal as the IH M-M :roll:

Welcome to the site- it's a good one!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Girls, They have no sense of value, You should have told her it was on sale and you had a coupon 8) If your going to be part of this unique group and keep a wife and or a partner, you are going to have to learn to think quick :roll: These things can be learned but you will have to pay attention in class :P
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Standaddy

pics, (I hope)

Post by Standaddy »

Standaddy

Looks like it worked.

Post by Standaddy »

I found these pics from where the Mite was listed for sale earlier. I bought it from a guy near Indy. He must have figured out quickly that he didn't want it. Maybe that should scare me off, but nah, not me.
Dennis: "keep a wife and or partner"? LOL , The WarDepartment already squashed the "and" part of that, so I guess I'll have to drop that idea.
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

Very nice International. Don't worry the parts for it , they're out there. Join some international groups to figure things out. IH fans are fanatical and usually happy to help.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Looks like a good size. Easy to drive, enough space to give some comfort.

Best luck. Rufus
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

R U kidding, Thats a great little.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

What a beautiful van. Here are some pics.

Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Some more.

Got love? Give love.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I like the kitchen counter. So many conversions (even high-dollar, professional ones) have bitsy, postage-stamp counter tops with virtually no room to wash dishes, cut vegetables, serve beverages and plop down a hot pot from the stove. I couldn't cook in such a cramped space.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

I bet it was a bread delivery van you can tell by the breadbox, it's a nice one good luck if nothing else you can live in the doghouse :D
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

The Metro's and Mini-Mets were built on pretty standard IHC chassis. As a consequence most of the parts are available if you know where to look.

Brake parts, particularly drums, could be problematical.

For most of the parts and pieces that are consumable you should be able to find at your local NAPA or Carquest parts house that carry medium and heavy duty truck parts. Don't go to any discount parts house except for things like oil.

IHC used very little that was OEM specific to IHC. The carbs were usually made by Holley. The dizzy's were made by Prestolite, Autolite, Holley, and AC/Delco. Starters, generators and/or alternators were made by AC/Delco.

www.justih.org and www.ihonlynorth.com have really good forums full of IHC specific information. Although both tend to lean heavily towards the light line and Scouts in particular there are people that hang out there that can be very helpful with your Metro. Both have vendors that sponser the websites that have a lot of specific IHC parts and pieces.

www.oldihc.org has some good forums that might be helpful since people who work on older IHC iron hang out there all the time.

Good luck with your Metro. It appears as if you got a really good house truck.
Standaddy

Thanks

Post by Standaddy »

Son and I are leaving tomorrow morning to go after the Mite. Who needs to work all weeklong anyway?
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks Mark for the links. Can't wait to get to work on the brakes and whatever else needs a little attention, then hopefully Wifey and I can do a short weekend at one of the parks or campgrounds on Lake Guntersville before it gets to cold.
I'm sure some of the 5 granddaughters will want to come for a visit. By the way, that's where I got my screen name from.
Hope to have more pics in a couple days.
Stan
dburt

Post by dburt »

That thing's cuter then a bug's ear :lol: