Conversion Update - Doodlebus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

captainkf

Conversion Update - Doodlebus

Post by captainkf »

Hello All. Just thought I would update you all on my most recent conversion. Here is a link http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... Doodlebus/

The first 4 pages are the "old" quickie conversion, then the most recent project. I'll try to update every couple of days as there is quite a bit of work happening now.

-Richard
captainkf

Bus Conversion

Post by captainkf »

PS: I would love to know what you all think. I appreciate feedback: Good, bad and the ugly. :)

-Richard
Dudley

Post by Dudley »

Captainkf,
I have not yet built a bus but it looks good to me! I think whats really important is that it gives you what you want and need. I learn something and/or get ideas from every rolling home I see. For me a big part of the attraction to this lifestyle is that it is all about what makes you happy and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside and at the same time lets your creative juices flow. When I do build a rolling home it will reflect my own personal tastes, likes, and dislikes but it will no doubt include many other features that I have gleaned from other's works.
Good luck and happy travels.
God Bless America
Bill Gerrard
GOD BLESS AMERICA
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

There is also a sense of satisfaction creating somthing yourself. So at the end of the day when you are exhausted and hurting you can say "I made that" and know you have many years to come to enjoy it.

I added some more photo's of recent work. I hope you enjoy.

-Richard
Stillphil

Post by Stillphil »

Hi,

It's looking good! Looks like you will have all the bells and whistles. What's the rack on top? Will you have any windows in the bedroom?

Best,

Phil
Illegitimi non carborundum!
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

The rack on the top is a deck. It was originally built to hold our King size matress on our move to Halifax from Calgary (and back again) because it was too large to fit in the bus. We have decided to keep it. Great for sitting on in the evenings. Great views and it keeps us off the ground and away from many of the bugs that come out at dusk.

Yes there is an RV style window going in the bedroom, plus a covered ceiling vent. This should help with airflow and keep it warm on cool nights and in the winter.

We plan on using it in the winter on extended trips and skiing. So I have tried to do a reasonable job insulating it.

Thanks for the feedback and check back frequently, I'll post updates as often as possible.

-Richard
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

Just an update for those of you mabye following along.

- fiberglass shower fitting
- water pump and tank
- Wiring, furring strips and pannelling
- 2 skylight/vent
- rooftop TV antenna
- Exterior door jam
- Interior ceiling paint
-Built the bathroom, pannelled most of it.
-Hung bathroom door, installed hardware.
-Fabricated new door jam, added an air strut for it.
-installed rv window in bedroom.
-installed (mostly) 2 more ceiling vents.

Take a peak, let me know what you think.

-Richard
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

You're probably not going to like me very much for saying this, but I notice that you are using "Plas-T-Cote" for something, I'm assuming the roof. I used this stuff for some time on the roof of the Housetruck, and never had satisfactory results with it. It dries hard, which allows it to separate from panels, fixtures and fittings, opening up gaps that water loves to pour through. Even on flat surfaces, it doesn't stick all that well after a few years and lifts off in large flakes.

About 1985 or so, I dicovered "Snow Roof" and "Elastoseal", both of which are very flexible and have given me many years of trouble-free service. You use the Elastoseal and fiber mesh tape to cover any gaps or seams, then slather on a couple of coats of the Snow Roof and forget it for a few years. I did this treatment on the roof of the Crown when I raised the roof 10 years ago, and it is still as good as the day I rollered it on, no leaks, no wear, and still bright white. Highly recommended.

I threw my last can of Plas-T-Cote in the trash after that and have never used it again.
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

Thanks for the infor sharkey. So far when it's warm it's very soft. However it's still a new product. We are considering it for another project and the information is very usefull. I'll keep you all posted in how well the fibrecoat we used holds up on the bus roof.

-Richard
Dudley

Post by Dudley »

I concur with Sharkey.
Roof coatings have seen major advances in the last few years. All the old asphalt base coatings really only work on the places that don't matter and they are all pretty much obsolete now. A pretty good rule of thumb is that 98% of your roof leaks will be within 2% of your roof area. If you address that 2% (joints, penetrations, coves, etc.) you will have no problems. There is no question that a white roof will always reflect heat but it is not going to do anything for any joint that moves, and they all do. Also I would not usually suggest using a silicon caulking, I have seen too much of that fail (usually a failure to bond or lack of UV resistance). I would instead recommend either a Butyl rubber or some of the new latex products. You may pay more for these products but you won't be fixing your roof leaks on an annual or semi-annual schedule. Just my 2 cents.[/i]
GOD BLESS AMERICA
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

X2 on the thought about silicone. Basically, if you are having to depend on a caulking to keep water out, you are already on the losing side of the battle.

I've been using simple acrylic latex painter's caulk at $0.99 a tube on nearly everything with terrific results. It does have to be covered by a top coat, be that enamel or roofing compound, but it's cheap and lasts very well when not exposed to weather.

Installing my side door and windows on the bus, I used urethane caulking. That stuff is great! It stays open for a good long time, allowing you to position parts and put in fasteners, and if it begins to set up, you hit the surface with a rag soaked in paint thinner and it softens up and then will gloss over as it re-dries. Very easy to work and finish. Once set, it is tough as nails and will allow a good bit of stretch without breaking. It's also very good at staying 'stuck' to many materials.

The Snow Roof is mega-expansive. I used a quart yogurt container as a small paint bucket when doing the Crown roof. It got a pretty good buildup of product on the sides, which could be peeled off when it dried. The sheet of Snow Roof, once removed from the container, could be stretched an amazing amount without failures. I coved in all of the joints in the Housetruck roof with acrylic latex caulk, covered it with the seam tape and Elastoseal, then top coated with Snow Roof. No heavy duty caulkings or high tech goo required. And my Housetruck roof is flat, made up of five sheet metal panels with interlocking seams that ~always~ leaked with the Plas-T-Cote. The Snow roof and seam tape can also be used to curb up over skylights, roof vents, stovepipe flashings, and about any penetration you can think of. It's fairly inexpensive too, $18 a gallon, or $75/5 gallons.
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

What kind of Plasitcote did you use. The brand has a wide product line-up. The reason I ask is it sounds like we are talking two different products. Here is a link to the stuff I used and a description:

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/p ... ageNum=162

Platicote fibered trailer top coating. Take a peek and let me know.

In regards to sealing. I used butyl tape on most everything that was installed eithier in the side or roof of the bus. I agree it's great stuff. Although much easier to use when cooler out. I have used outdoor dap silicone in places as an additional sealant. I know it has limitations.

I used the fiber roof coating (it's not paint) for the insulating qualities, not as a sealant. The roof of the bus is sealed quite well already from factory. I did a few spot checks and no moisture up there or signs of it. Which is good enough for me. This is not my home, just somthing I intend to use for fun.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

-Richard
captainkf

roof coating

Post by captainkf »

So is it the same stuff you both are talking about?

-Richard
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Looks like they may have reorganized their product line, the stuff I used might have been named "Trail-R-Cote", but it was the same manufacturer and product family.

Apparently some of this stuff is suitable for hull repairs on deep space stations: