Detailed CAD Blueprints for Worlds Largest Rolling Home:

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Damien

Detailed CAD Blueprints for Worlds Largest Rolling Home:

Post by Damien »

Damien's CAD
drawing

On my computer, when I download it, I have to save it as an image (.jpg) file. Then when I open THAT ... I can zoom in and see the detail.
Last edited by Damien on Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

wow! are you sure you want to divuldge the schematics for your rig?? I guess its too late now. Im quite curious, whats Atari 1040 stf??
Damien

Post by Damien »

All I want to do is encourage and inspire others. If anyone wants to steal any ideas or copy something ... or even try to reproduce the entire project, nobody would be more satisfied and delighted than myself. I'd also have a damn good time laughing myself silly watching them have a go at it. If anyone needs any technical advice or more specific engineering details .... here I am. Just ask.
The Atari 1040 ST was an attempt to copy the firt Mac. In 1986 the Motorola 6800 chip (first real 16 bit cpu outside the Intel 8086) was the first non Apple machine ... ie: ATARI. Jack Trimbel of Atari envisioned them and they were dubbed the "Jackintosh". A Toronto guy in his early twenties wrote TBX.cad all by himself, and he gave me a copy to beta-test. This was my first attempt using the program, and he used it to promote the package. If you can believe it (and even I can't) my original ATARI 1040st is sittting on my office desk right now, running my Database for the entire company client list (about 5,000 entries). It has been plugged in since 1988 and every day I make several new entries. It has never been turned off ... never made a mistake, never crashed, and has had not a single technical failure. Twice our offices have been broken into and all the computers stolen ... except for mine. They've cut all the wires, then dumped it back onto the floor. So yes, it has been shut down twice. Jack wherever you are, Thanks. (1040 means 1 megabyte ... size of RAM ... ST means sixteen/Thirtytwo I think. 750K floppy, double sided, mine cost about $1500 in 1986 ... 12MHZ clock, Monochrome hi-res monitor was used ... lots of frazzeld electrical tape where I've had to re-connect all the wires. )
Stan

Post by Stan »

Not to seem too caddish, Damien, but does your house really qualify as rolling... ;)
Stan Clayton
Damien

Post by Damien »

I understand you point, however: The truck is perfectly mechanically sound, the engine fires up after belching out quite a bit of smoke, and once thrust into gear, it does in-fact roll.
Even putting that aside, if I were to move it any reasonable distance (I'm considering Lake Simcoe, about 100 miles away) I'd probably tow it. The hassles of certifying it for road-worthieness, insurance and so-forth, probably wouldn't warrent it for a single one-shot move.
The truck is a street-legal, fully roadworthy, mechanically sound, and highly liveable-in rolling home.
The absolute curse, if I may say, is that where it was built, is where I currently want to be. It's absolutely ideal: isolated, safe and secure, with hydro, water and unlimited free firewood. It is my work studio, and I find it the ideal refuge from the urban jungle ... where I live and work.
If you feel that it isn't "really" a rolling home because it isn't zooming through Oregon on hwy 101, fine. It's a bit like saying that I can't possibly have an interesting sex-life because I have only have one girlfriend, or that I'm going to have a lousy new-years eve because I don't drink alcohol.

Oh well she's calling me. Yes, Perma was a runway model when I met her at age 17 ... and you should see her now! (On the roof in my blueprints, you'll find her digitized at about age 23). Her modelling agency is throwing a big new-years eve party for all the talent. Most of the men are gay ... and the women coming up from New-York are begging to stay out at the firetruck once again. Last year there were four. Two more are asking if they can sleep together on the couch. That's six. They think the wood-stove is cute, and if I'm willing to put up with the kind of music they insist on listening to ... 2005 will start off as another unforgettable year to remember.
How you define rocking ... and rolling ... and where you are, and where you are going, and why, and with-whom, and ... yes ... how far, is a very individual affair. Don't you think ? :?: :idea:

Absolutely.

Stan

Post by Stan »

Touché! :D

I meant it as only the gentlest of barbs, and humbly beg forgiveness for failing to make that sufficiently clear.

OTOH, I perfectly understand your point about girlfriends. I've had the same one for 28 years, and don't foresee changing her out for a younger model.

As for Oregon's Highway 101, I've only seen the northern half, which struck me as a kitschy blend of fast food places, tacky plastic bowling balls, theme parks and crowded beach condos. Hardly my idea of rolling home heaven.

Perhaps the southern half is better... :wink:
Stan Clayton
Damien

Post by Damien »

Yes ... I understand Stan. I'm just using all this stuff for springboards leading to other domains, although I DID think you were saying it wasn't a rolling home. A better analogy is that if you build a sailboat in your back yard and don't go-off sailing any great distance ... have you REALLY built a "sailboat"?

I truly believe that the whole Rolling Home concept is almost totally tied in with feelings of freedom, intimacy, adventure, self-reliance, creative fullfillment, as well as technological and engineering expressions of joy and mastery. It's also about being an individual and expressing that through your lifestyle. I've have absolutely zero contact with other people who live this " lifestyle". On several occasions (like in Costa Rica last year) I've met other travellers in School-buses and the like ... and to be totally honest I can hardly find any personal values I would have in common with them. I've also found that "travel" has taken me beyond the wheels under my home ... and crashing back into my Firetruck after three weeks of Motorcycling around Turkey and Greece ... has become the "travel" I thought I would be getting via rolling.
My ultimate big-blowout roll will probably be driving my rig out to one of the Gulf Islands in BC ...... the clock is ticking on that one.

Note: The picture Sharky is using of me for ID purposes, is me in a hotel in Turkey taking a picture of myself after having not shaved for over a week.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

me in a hotel in Turkey taking a picture of myself after having not shaved for over a week
And the Department of Homeland Security thanks you!!!