nomadic animal housemates

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

monotonuse muse

nomadic animal housemates

Post by monotonuse muse »

hi there,
I am interested in finding out peoples experiences with having animals living with them, while moving about in your homes...
Sharky I've noticed a few cats in your pictures of your trucks, how was that for both parties involved?
We have a cat and are soon to be getting closer to our dream truckhouse, sop any experiences, with any animals would be helpfull

Thank you
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

People I've known in housetrucks with cats say that the felines figure out the routine fairly quickly and come running when they hear the engine start. I've had friends who would keep their kitten on a leash tied to the truck until the new arrival got it though it's skull that home was the truck, not the land that it was parked on. After that, no restraints were necessary.

One long-time trucker friend says that sometimes when they were ready to move, and the cat couldn’t be found, they stayed and always found out that they weren't as ready to go as they thought for some reason and after that, used the cat as an indicator. Can't find the cat?, Well, we must have left something else behind, or something on the truck is in need of attention, or some amazing opportunity is trying to find us here, or friends are coming to visit, etc. Remember, cats can see things we can’t. Why else would they just stare into space so much?
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

When we were living in our house truck we always had cats. They always did great. The problem was to always count heads before departure. We had to backtrack a few times. We do not travel with animals now. We can bearly look after ourselves.
Good luck
Jerry
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

Ocicats, Cheetohs, and Savannahs

theres a company I learned about that breeds cats specially for truck drivers.
the address is: http://www.cranberrycoastcats.com
I dont know how they train them or whatever they do, but they are real nice looking cats!
monotonuse muse

Post by monotonuse muse »

Thank you all for your thoughts, its very hope-filled for us 3 then...

thats some good extra help about the cats not coming back until everything is ready, I like that thought a lot.
DrClue

17 cats in our shorty :)

Post by DrClue »

Yes you read right, 17 cats and two adults in a converted shorty school bus.

By and large they all like the bus , and all but one have no problem going down the
road. Soul Kitty is the exception and he bellows for hours at the start of each trip,
but he too settles down after a time.

When we converted the bus , considerations for the kids was designed in, including
a super sized cat box room and plenty of spaces for the cats to lounge.

On a winters night the cats crawl up into the bed and keep us good and toasty.

--Doc
-=<[ Programming for the internet since 1994 ]>=-
ItchyBruno

Full timers...With two cats!!

Post by ItchyBruno »

Hi there.. just cruising through this new found gold mine I have discovered...(Thank you sharky,) and came cross this question about live aboard animals.. as long as you pay attention to them they love it...we have two cats and have been full time rv'ing for three and a half years, we let the cats out and they come a runnin back every night. Our oldest one has started to hang around all the time, while our younger one, (we found him in a provincial park when I was working on galiano and my wife was working the marina there and was told that a guy had lost his kitten of his boat), anyways, we found him in the park three months later half dead and full of raccoon bites, he likes to run off and come back at night unless I am outside working onsomething, and then he just loves beingin the way. He has a great habit of predicting what I am gonna be wanting to use next and layin down all comfy like right on top of it. Point of my ramble.. If your animals are well loved they will be just fine on the road. (especially when they know it is you that feeds them :wink:

I have just discovered this new world (not so new but new to me), of house trucks / buses and I have to know....Are they road legal still? How do you license them for the road, as RV's?? Please if anyone has the time and patience to tell me everything they know, send it to d47_5@hotmail.com...I have been on the computer for about three hours now and I am set on building one of these babys!!! My wife and I are in the midst of finishing off renovating our 35 foot rv for full time liveaboard, (we came from a 22 ft campervan). We had decided that we would do a bus conversion next so that I have a blank canvas to work with...I am set on building a bushouse though....none of this motorhome mumbo
DARYL AKA ITCHYBRUNO